Images from that Republican Rally Yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone actually brought up the McCain "controversy?" Laughable.

Now, I also think the birthers are full of crap, but to compare what they're saying about Obama to McCain's situation is just a fallacy. McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone, which at the time was a U.S. Protectorate. He was born to an American airman and his American wife while they were stationed at Coco Solo Airbase. According to the birthers, Obama was born in Kenya to a Kenyan man and an American woman, with his mom missing the deadline to declare him a US citizen. Again, I think there's no validity to their claims, but the two situations aren't even remotely similar.
Your right. Democratic leaders quickly dismissed the Panama Canal thing as nonsense. Republican leaders (with the exception of a few) still use this to try to drum up donations from easily misled idiots. That's the main difference I've seen.

A

Armadillo

Now, I also think the birthers are full of crap, but to compare what they're saying about Obama to McCain's situation is just a fallacy. McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone, which at the time was a U.S. Protectorate. He was born to an American airman and his American wife while they were stationed at Coco Solo Airbase. According to the birthers, Obama was born in Kenya to a Kenyan man and an American woman, with his mom missing the deadline to declare him a US citizen. Again, I think there's no validity to their claims, but the two situations aren't even remotely similar.
Your right. Democratic leaders quickly dismissed the Panama Canal thing as nonsense. Republican leaders (with the exception of a few) still use this to try to drum up donations from easily misled idiots. That's the main difference I've seen.[/QUOTE]

I really think you're overstating both the prevalence of the birthers and the Republican Party's "embracing" of them. They're not a large group, the Republicans would just as soon they went away quickly, and most conservatives think they're batshit crazy. They're a lunatic fringe, just like the 9/11 Truther movement.

Your right. Democratic leaders quickly dismissed the Panama Canal thing as nonsense. Republican leaders (with the exception of a few) still use this to try to drum up donations from easily misled idiots. That's the main difference I've seen.[/quote]

I really think you're overstating both the prevalence of the birthers and the Republican Party's "embracing" of them. They're not a large group, the Republicans would just as soon they went away quickly, and most conservatives think they're batshit crazy. They're a lunatic fringe, just like the 9/11 Truther movement.[/QUOTE]
I didn't say they are large, and I didn't say they were prevalent. I said they don't distance themselves from them.

Go ahead and check how many times Republican Governors, Senators, and Representatives have waffled on this birth certificate thing. I'm not trying to be combative, I'm trying to show that if the Republican party can either be taken seriously or cater to the lunatic fringe. It doesn't work both ways.

Go ahead and check how many times Republican Governors, Senators, and Representatives have waffled on this birth certificate thing. I'm not trying to be combative, I'm trying to show that if the Republican party can either be taken seriously or cater to the lunatic fringe. It doesn't work both ways.
I've never heard anyone beyond a mullet wearing nutjob say anything in support of this. Got any sources where they talked about this? I'm not saying they haven't, but the way you have been talking about it it sounds like an EPIDEMIC!

A

Armadillo

I've never heard anyone beyond a mullet wearing nutjob say anything in support of this. Got any sources where they talked about this? I'm not saying they haven't, but the way you have been talking about it it sounds like an EPIDEMIC![/QUOTE]

I guess this is the best way to put it. I'm really wondering where you're seeing Republican leaders "catering" to these loons, Krisken. I'm just not seeing it.

Espy- http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/25444_Page2.html Politico article on Republicans wanting it both ways (saying things like there are more important issues, not that it isn't important, etc).
http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/p...hat-birthers-have-a-point-blames-white-house/ Here Inhofe blames the White House, saying they didn't do enough to discourage birther charges (nevermind the certificate being up on his site, continuously being debunked, and every "real" certificate offered has been really bad forgeries).

Here Rep Trent Franks says it's ridiculous they won't produce long birth certificate http://www.politico.com/blogs/glenn...lous_O_wont_produce_longform_certificate.html

This is just a couple minutes of hunting. I could easily find more. We can not fix the problems in the political parties by ignoring them. That includes those we identify with.

Ignoring them like the democrat in the first article you cited? Who said this about the lovely folks in his district:
Twenty-five percent of my people believe the Pentagon and Rumsfeld were responsible for taking the twin towers down,” said Rep. Collin Peterson, a Democrat who represents a conservative Republican district in Minnesota. “That’s why I don’t do town meetings.”
I see pandering in your stories. You have a few reps stopping short of saying "go to hell" so that they keep the votes they need to get reelected.
I'm sorry man, but that hardly sounds like the giant issue you make it out to be. It's not a big issue and it's hardly a good way to try and discredit your political opponents in my book
I just see politicians (on both sides according to your article) doing some minor pandering to their people or ignoring them completely.

And keep in mind, I'm not saying that's right. They all should stand up to these nuts on both sides but I'm not the guy trying to get reelected here so it's easy for me to say that.

Ignoring them like the democrat in the first article you cited? Who said this about the lovely folks in his district:
Twenty-five percent of my people believe the Pentagon and Rumsfeld were responsible for taking the twin towers down,” said Rep. Collin Peterson, a Democrat who represents a conservative Republican district in Minnesota. “That’s why I don’t do town meetings.”
I see pandering in your stories. You have a few reps stopping short of saying "go to hell" so that they keep the votes they need to get reelected.
I'm sorry man, but that hardly sounds like the giant issue you make it out to be. It's not a big issue and it's hardly a good way to try and discredit your political opponents in my book
I just see politicians (on both sides according to your article) doing some minor pandering to their people or ignoring them completely.

And keep in mind, I'm not saying that's right. They all should stand up to these nuts on both sides but I'm not the guy trying to get reelected here so it's easy for me to say that.
I guess I expect more out of my Reps. It's a shame more people dont. :cool:

You don't expect pandering?
I admire your desires, I look at it this way: I don't expect more, but I WANT more.
Realistically I know I'm not going to get it, it would be ridiculous to expect a politician to not pander. They need votes. That's how the system works. You want to change that you have to change the system.
Look at Obama. Remember when he said in the second debate that "marriage is between a man and a woman."?
I really doubt he believes that, but he needed votes and that probably helped get him a few.

I admire your desires, I look at it this way: I don't expect more, but I WANT more.
Realistically I know I'm not going to get it, it would be ridiculous to expect a politician to not pander. They need votes. That's how the system works. You want to change that you have to change the system.
Look at Obama. Remember when he said in the second debate that "marriage is between a man and a woman."?
I really doubt he believes that, but he needed votes and that probably helped get him a few.
I understand that, I really do. I won't make excuses for him though. There are a lot of people on the left who have had enough of the weak approach Obama has taken on gay marriage so far. We'll see if that continues. It's still the first 9 months of his term.

Well, I don't know what you would expect. He didn't say "We will wait and see", He said "NO. GAYS CANNOT MARRY IN MY AMERICA."
That's not an easy thing to just flip flop on.

It's funny, but I just realized I'm more liberal than he is on this issue.
Huh.

A

Armadillo

It's funny, but I just realized I'm more liberal than he is on this issue.
Huh.
Ain't it a corker? I love to pull that little nugget out whenever I get called out as a flaming right-wing zealot, which happens with alarming frequency.

that sign is great.

I wonder if in the next Republican administration they will bring on a Birther into the whitehouse. Only to have him publicly resign over the weekend when it gets made public.

Republicans don't resign anymore. Unless, of course, they become lobbyists (this goes for both Republicans and Democrats).

C

crono1224

I honestly can't think of a system that avoids pandering. You tell the people what they want to hear so they vote for you, if they don't you don't get elected. Outside of one side completely shitting out their term in office and making the other side a shoe-in thus removing some pandering need.

I'm not justifying it by any means as it both makes a lot of people flip-floppers but it also makes it hard to really see what a canidate believes in vs what he is saying to get votes.

A

Armadillo

Republicans don't resign anymore.
Donald Rumsfeld and Alberto Gonzales would like a word with you...

Seriously, the Bush administration wasn't THAT long ago; you'd think memories wouldn't be so short.

Seriously, the Bush administration wasn't THAT long ago; you'd think memories wouldn't be so short.[/QUOTE]
Way to quote 4 words of a 17 word post, champ. Not like that last sentence was important or anything to the point I was making.

A

Armadillo

Seriously, the Bush administration wasn't THAT long ago; you'd think memories wouldn't be so short.[/QUOTE]
Way to quote 4 words of a 17 word post, champ. Not like that last sentence was important or anything to the point I was making.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, sport. Here's the entire quote:

Republicans don't resign anymore. Unless, of course, they become lobbyists (this goes for both Republicans and Democrats).
I agree with you on the lobbyist point, but I took issue with the notion that "Republicans don't resign anymore," the implication being that their egos won't let them resign when asked to. I gave two recent examples of Republicans resigning, just to give ya a tweak.

I don't pick fights on purpose, so if I came off as strident, I apologize. Point stands, though. I do like the "champ, sport, tiger" back and forth, however. :D

Seriously, the Bush administration wasn't THAT long ago; you'd think memories wouldn't be so short.[/quote]
Way to quote 4 words of a 17 word post, champ. Not like that last sentence was important or anything to the point I was making.[/quote]

Fair enough, sport. Here's the entire quote:

I agree with you on the lobbyist point, but I took issue with the notion that "Republicans don't resign anymore," the implication being that their egos won't let them resign when asked to. I gave two recent examples of Republicans resigning, just to give ya a tweak.

I don't pick fights on purpose, so if I came off as strident, I apologize. Point stands, though. I do like the "champ, sport, tiger" back and forth, however. :D[/quote]
Me too. It takes some of the levity out of the situation, Junior.

As for the not resigning anymore part, I was thinking of the Santorum and Ensign. I personally don't care who they are schtupping or even think they should resign (well, except for the whole using government funds to go to Argentina to see his mistress, or bribing family members with jobs to keep them hushed).

S

Soliloquy

One of the odder things to come out of the whole republican protests things is this Doonesbury comic: I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

GasBandit

Staff member
They still make Doonesbury?
unfortunately[/quote]

Hey, it was on the front page of a newspaper comics section that was on the table in front of me. I don't go out of my way to read that thing.[/quote]

They still make newspapers? :D

Yes, it's saturday. Yes, I'm at work.

Anyway, here's more pictures of the event in question.

Hey look, conservative cosplayers.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

The estimates on numbers for this little gathering have varied wildly... the parks service says 250k, the media says 1.5 million plus... some of the people involved estimate "over 500k."

Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.