If Romney wins the GOP, I forsee bad things for....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crossover voting - republicans voting in democratic primaries and vice versa - has always been possible in some states with open primaries, so this isn't new, but it's interesting nonetheless:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/...t-s-keep-the-GOP-clown-show-going-?via=blog_1

That's not the only democrat supporter asking democrats to support santorum: http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ssover-voting-romney-santorum-/1#.T00vosz5Zi4

Michigan's vote is today, so I guess I have to figure out who the candidates are and what they're saying. Sigh.

This many:

An important caveat to it however, is it is the approval rating in november. The year before the election, GHW Bush's approval rating was 58%.
I was driving home last night thinking about this post and wondering if a statistical analysis could be performed on this data to determine if there was a non-random trend. It occurred to me it didn't need to be too complicated. A simple Chi-squared goodness of fit test would do the trick. A quick little analysis revealed that the trend here is not significantly different from random. Any conclusions extrapolated from this data would be considered premature.

Necronic

Staff member
Yeah too bad statistics is made up and clearly biased. You might even call it a liberal art.

Edit: Oh snap I just thought of an interesting test. Approval margin as a function of year.

Edit2: ok nevermind its not interesting.

Necronic

Staff member
Wait he's catholic? I assumed he was an evangelical.

:facepalm:

Whoops.

And yeah that actually does sincerely bother me for a Catholic running for President to openly admit and engourage Papism in politics.

Crossover voting - republicans voting in democratic primaries and vice versa - has always been possible in some states with open primaries, so this isn't new, but it's interesting nonetheless:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/...t-s-keep-the-GOP-clown-show-going-?via=blog_1

That's not the only democrat supporter asking democrats to support santorum: http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ssover-voting-romney-santorum-/1#.T00vosz5Zi4
I find this just as disgusting and stupid as when Limbaugh suggested it the last time around. Just deplorable making a mockery of the process. Let the candidates do that!

Necronic

Staff member
I thought that was an interval...

Point estimators get me super confused. I remember we had to derive one for something in my stats final and it was some of the nastiest calculus I have ever whipped out of nowhere.

Edit: oh wow that headline.

I guess this is the catch-all Republican Primary Thread

Santorum, who once practiced law, hasn't said how he would draft a constitutional amendment - or how he could get one passed even while opinion polls suggest increasing public acceptance of same-sex marriage.

"Just because public opinion says something doesn't mean it's right," he said in the NBC interview. "I'm sure there were times in areas of this country when people said blacks were less than human."

GasBandit

Staff member
So now Santorum has said that he not only intends to nationally ban same sex marriage, but intends to retroactively nullify all previously granted ones. /facepalm

This is what I always say... Republicans say they want a small government, but that's just because they want it to fit in your bedroom.

/paste standard "you're not conservative unless you're libertarian" rant.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh I just meant race for Republican Candidate, it was never a question over Obama being re-elected.
Well, I was referring to the primary too, but we'll just have to see come november for the general. I'm still pretty sure it could go either way, and whoever manufactures the best "october surprise" will probably take home all the marbles.

Possibilities for an October Surprise:
  • Attack on Iran, oil prices plunge;
  • Arab Spring in Iran;
  • Economy tanks a la 2008;
  • European economy tanks;
  • North Korean coup or other leadership change;
  • Earthquake/hurricane/other natural disaster hitting US;
  • Chicago Cubs win the World Series (aka ARMAGEDDON!).

We already know what the surprise is going to be: The Republicans refuse to raise the dept ceiling again, then try to shift the blame on the Democrats like last time. It'll last until Election day, in an attempt to make Obama look weak.

Necronic

Staff member
You're probably right, but that's going to backfire on them. Plenty of people are fed up with them playing chicken with that. Yes, the national debt is a problem. But constantly threatening to default is just going to get our credit rating downgraded, which will actually exacerbate the problem.

Oh I just meant race for Republican Candidate, it was never a question over Obama being re-elected.
I'm not sure what you're implying here (I'm honestly confused if you mean he's a shoe-in or a no-chance.) Either way I think that the election is FAR from decided.

I just had a realization... since the race is so close that the decision might come down to the convention... I am sad that nobody smokes indoors anymore. So there will be no talk of a deal being brokered in a smoke-filled, back room at the convention center.

Necronic

Staff member
Bah, there will be a smoke filled room. It may violate smoking bans but anyone that cares will be lambasted for being in support of big government and falling prey to "liberal science".

GasBandit

Staff member
So super tuesday is past. Romney won by all accounts, but there's more to the story than that. The big story is Ohio, where over a million turned out to vote in the primary, and it was a nailbiter all the way to the end. He eked out a victory over (but had to split delegates with) Santorum by less than a mere single percentage point, despite outspending the others by a 6 to 1 margin in advertising there. Many are asking if this shows weakness on his part, but to me, it makes me wonder about the 446,000 Ohioans (~37% of the turnout) who apparently want to nullify all existing same sex marriages and force every pregnancy to term.

Ohio is a semi-open primary, so I don't if Democrats were allowed to vote in it. If they were, the instructions were to vote for Santorum because he's a pathetical weak candidate.

Many are asking if this shows weakness on his part, but to me, it makes me wonder about the 446,000 Ohioans (~37% of the turnout) who apparently want to nullify all existing same sex marriages and force every pregnancy to term.
Don't look at me. I voted Independent, so all I had to deal with was a single bond issue.

Ohio is a semi-open primary, so I don't if Democrats were allowed to vote in it. If they were, the instructions were to vote for Santorum because he's a pathetical weak candidate.
Yes, you can. I'm registered as Independent and could have voted for the Republican candidate.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hrm, I don't know if it was that effective... they vocally tried to orchestrate that in Michigan and it didn't work very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.