[Question] I want to attend a Con

More specifically, I've had this middling interest in setting up a booth and selling books at a con, as an experiment. Just to see if it's worth it. The problem is, I don't know much about the various cons. The only ones I've ever been to much was Dragon*Con, Houston Comic Con, and A-Kon in Dallas.

For transparency's sake (and really, it's not a secret anyway, since anyone going to Createspace's help pages with my page count and book size could figure this stuff out anyway), after shipping, I pay about $6.50 per copy of my book, wholesale price. Amazon takes a hefty cut, so I only make a dollar or so when I sell a book through them, or I'd have the thing priced lower on their website. But when I buy for myself, that's what I pay.

Amazon sells the book for about $12.00 after discounting. I'm not sure of the psychology of selling for that price in a face-to-face cash-transaction environment--but I don't want to cut the price to $10, and $15 seems too high. I was considering charging $20 for the signed copies, since that's around what I charge people anyway. I'd probably figure out some kind of bundle deal if someone bought both books at the same time. Maybe $12 each, or $20 for both, plus an autograph surcharge.

I'd probably also have a display for the music books on one side of the table, but I'm not sure. There's some overlap in the demographics, but not a lot.

Doing the the math, if I were to set up a table at dragon*con ($550 for the cheapest table, $500-ish hotel, 500-ish for flight), I'd have to sell 250+ books to break even (slightly less if signed). That doesn't seem likely, since I'm a relatively unknown guy in the grand scheme of things.

In any case, to get to the point, I don't know much about what cons are going on, or worth going to. I'm looking for something not too crazy to drive to from north virginia, that doesn't run for like 5 freaking days (fri-sun would be fine) to limit my hotel costs, but has decent enough traffic that I might sell some books. If the math on costs works out to where I would only have to sell 30-ish or so books, I think it'd be a worthy risk.

Any of you con-going folks know something that might fit the bill?

Dave

Staff member
I have a friend named Mark who is an author who attends a lot of cons. If you'd like, I can give him your email and see if he'd be willing to give some insights.

Come on over to my house, I have some beach front property in Oklahoma to sell you.

:troll:
If I'm ever in Oklahoma (I have relatives in Lawton, Chickasha, and Clinton, and I may still have some in Walters, though my great grandparents have passed on) maybe we can get together for a beer or something.

Pittsburgh's Steel City Con (technically in Monroeville, and across the street from the mall where Dawn of the Dead was filmed) lasts 3 days and happens at least a couple of times a year. Tables are cheaper than Dragon and other large cons (http://www.steelcitycon.com/buy-artist-tables), but much smaller crowds, and hotels in the area can be found around $100. However, having attended one last May for only half a day, I can't say how much traffic you might see. They do get some decent name celebrities (you may recall I fist-bumped LeVar Burton).

Lasts 3 days (Fri-Sun), next one is April 10-12. Table even "includes ONE CHAIR!"

Last edited:
A part of attending cons can be seen as advertisement investment. You're directly selling the books, but you're also exposing yourself to new readers who may recommend you to friends (I still recommend A Touch of Magic to friends whenever the topic of favorite fantasy books comes up) and will pick up any new books you might have in the future. You might not directly break even, but it may be more worth it in the long run even if you fall a bit short of that. I don't know the numbers of how well it ended up for them but when I was at Comicon last year there were multiple authors just walking around handing out links to one of their ebooks just for the exposure. Though I never bothered to check out their books so possibly not that effective.

yeah, the expenses are fully tax deductible. I'm not really sold on the "exposure" angle though. Don't get me wrong..I'm totally flabbergasted and grateful that you pimp me out when you can! I just don't think there would be enough exposure to make things take off in a viral way. I'd have to come close to breaking even for it to really be worth it. I'd love to be wrong, though. ;)

I think if I end up doing a con, I'm going to try something unique and sell e-books on a swivelcard (in addition to physical books). I don't think anyone's really figured out a way to push cheaper e-books at an in-person event like a con, and I think if I could offer a good enough price, I might get people snatching them up for curiosity's sake because the idea is novel.

I preferred to put the files on an actual USB (rather than in internet redirect like swivelcard does), but they're cost prohibitive. I found a great deal on aliexpress, with 128gb usb sticks for 80 cents each, but then once I ordered, the manufacturer jacked up the price on me to about $2.70 each, which (while still a decent deal) made them too expensive for what I wanted to do. Luckily, payment was through escrow, so I was able to get it back easily.

I think I'm going to look into Otakon for my first outing, since I wouldn't have the added expense of a hotel. If it goes decently, I'll branch out. At the very least, if it lets me hit smaller cons for "free" (ie: break-even), that's not a bad way to spend a few weekends a year :D

Last edited:
As part of this experiment, I signed up for Paypal Here. They send you (for free!) one of those little card swipers that attach to your phone.

Made my first sale with it today..works really well.[DOUBLEPOST=1426775593,1426775022][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have a friend named Mark who is an author who attends a lot of cons. If you'd like, I can give him your email and see if he'd be willing to give some insights.
Which reminds me...hey Dave, have you heard from your friend Mark yet? :D

Dave

Staff member
I was just going to ask if he ever contacted you. I sent him an IM on Facebook that was marked as seen. Guess the answer was no.