[Question] I need some anime suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My niece told me tonight that she recently got into anime. She also confided that I'm the only relative she has who even understands what anime is, much less ever watched it. The problem is that, while I've enjoyed a few series here and there, I'm no expert.

She told me the only thing she's watched from start to finish was Death Note. She's open to trying other series so long as it isn't anything like "Dragonball Z or Naruto or garbage like that." The only thing I had at my house was Cowboy Bebop; she gave it a try, but said it just wasn't for her.

So, any suggestions? What should I tell her to try? She liked Death Note, hates DBZ/Naruto, and was very "meh" about Cowboy Bebop.

(Please keep all suggestions appropriate for a 15 year old girl.)

Here is a quick list off the top of my head

Shows
Elfen Lied (Not necessarily sexual in nature but it does have nudity )
Gurren Lagann
Last Exile
Gunslinger Girl
Trigun
Claymore
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Scrapped Princess
Rurouni Kenshin
Blue Seed
Sound of the Sky (Also called Sora no Woto)
Ouran High School Host Club

Movies
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Grave of the Fireflies
Howl's Moving Castle
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
My Neighbor Totoro
The Cat Returns
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Whisper of the Heart
Katsuhiro Otomo Presents: Memories

Yeah, Ouran High School Host Club (romantic comedy/pretty boys) was really popular. Hetalia Axis Powers (comedy/historical) as well.

If she's not into action stuff, I probably wouldn't recommend Claymore. Then again, I probably wouldn't recommend Claymore, period :p

Also, not sure I would recommend Elfen Lied, or at least offer the caveat that she not watch where her parents can see it. There are some questionable scenes in there.

She's probably around the right age to like Evangelion (angsty teens), but it does have giant robots, which might be a dealbreaker? Same for Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (except super optimistic teens). They did both have a wide crossover appeal, though. However, Evangelion is getting a little long in the tooth, visuals-wise. Maybe go with the new Evangelion movies instead?

Also, FLCL (action, coming-of-age). Because FLCL is freaking awesome. Then again, so's Cowboy Bebop.

Hrm, I think Black Butler (pretty boys, supernatural) was pretty popular, but I've never watched it.

Speaking of which, there was also an anime adaptation of the WB show Supernatural, if that's her thing.

Maybe Princess Jellyfish? It's about an awkward nerd girl going through growing pains. It apparently resonates quite strongly with females, although maybe she's a little young for it? It's not available on DVD yet, but it's still up on Hulu, I think.

Can't go wrong with Studio Ghibli, which is almost the entirety of Hylian's movie list, but know that Grave of the Fireflies is pretty depressing and tends to be severely sob-inducing.

Oh, I'd add Summer Wars to that movie list.

Really? Time flies when you don't pay attention to releases. Well, looks like it's still up on Hulu, at any rate.

Oh, also, I recall hearing really good things about The Twelve Kingdoms (fantasy and romance, I think).

Ah geez, how could I forget: Azumanga Daioh. Schoolgirl comedy. Hi-larious.

If she likes Comedy, I wholeheartedly suggest Irresponsible Captain Tylor, which is a space opera comedy about a ship full of the navy's cast-offs, who go on to become the greatest heroes of the war under the command of the dumbest/smartest/laziest captain in the fleet. It's got a lot of off the wall humor, but it also has an earnest approach to Tylor's viewpoint and it almost feels like a subversion of comedy series at the end. Definitely one of my favorites.

If your looking for some more female friendly options, here's a few.

- Princess 9. It's a pretty good drama series about a woman putting together a women's baseball team to compete against the all male teams that fill the private school league of Japan. It's pretty serious, but it tell it's story well.

- Petite Princess Yucie. About a 17-year old girl cursed with the body of a ten year old. She enters a competition to earn a wish to restore her body, but makes friends along the way. This can get a bit silly.

You could also try Persona: The Animation, which is supposed to be getting a dub soon. I know they announced it at any rate.

Jay, I am unsure how much a 15 year old girl would be into a harem show? but if she gives it a go good for her. She also might try K-ON!.

You may want to ask her if she's okay with subs or not. If she is, you could really just point her to CrunchyRoll and maybe get her a sub to it. Tons of good stuff there.

I really liked Death Note and Cowboy Bebop (though at first I thought it was odd but I didn't watch them in any kind of order). I hate Naruto. So it sounds like maybe she & I have similar tastes in anime. I got into watching One Piece, Bleach, and Fullmetal Alchemist (both series). I also really like FLCL and Paranoia Agent. In movies, I adore Ponyo, Spirited Away, and Princess Mononoke. My best friend would tell you to have her watch Fushigi Yugi. Not my cup of tea, but it's worth a shot.

Any Miyazaki film really.

I just saw The Secret World of Arrietty in theaters a couple of months ago and fucking adored it.

Thanks everyone!

I passed on some of your suggestions. I don't know which ones will stick and which won't, but she seemed open to almost everything. If I ever hear back from her about what she watched I'll let you know.

S

SeraRelm

Macross (all of it!)
Ghost in the Shell (movies/series)
Ergo Proxy
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Heroic Age

I don't like shounen stuff, but that doesn't mean I dislike all Japanese cartoons.

Macross Plus is probably my favorite anime of all time. Again, it really feeds into my flying/pilot fixations.

S

SeraRelm

Music and easter egss shows up from it in Macross 7, and some from Macross 7 show up in Frontier. They even have an episode where they're making a movie based on Macross Zero in Frontier. If you like flight combat/pilot stuff, you'll like Frontier and Zero a lot.

The only shows I've watched entirely were Berserk and BASTARD!, neither of which would be even remotely appropriate.

S

SeraRelm

I'm gonna add on Kara No Kyoukai (a 7 "episode" movie series) and Darker Than Black since that has Chinese Electric Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.