[Question] I need a good outlet for aggression - anyone here practice Kendo?

So it was lost in the void, but my doctor officially diagnosed me with PTSD on Tuesday. He's holding off on prescribing or adjusting meds until we have labs in (which we'll be getting done next week, here in town, so fasting will be easier), but even having an official diagnosis, from a licensed and board certified psychiatrist, is a huge weight off my shoulders. One of the things we discussed was a need for a safe outlet for my (very reasonable) anger and aggression. We discussed getting a heavy bag, but I suck at punching things (and people), and I think getting a heavy bag and slap fighting it would just be really silly. :)

But, me smart monkey - tool user. And I've always had a bit of a penchant for melee vs. brawling. Aislynn keeps recommending heavy fighting in the SCA, but I need some internal discipline first, before I haul off and beat someone to a pulp over what seems from the outside like a minor slight, but really turns out to be a PTSD trigger. So naturally I was thinking of the martial disciplines, and that brought up Kendo (blame my teenage love of Clancy novels). So, is anyone here a practitioner, current or former? Would it be too strenuous for a very-slightly-overweight, fairly out of shape, almost 38 year old man to get into?

Kendo sounds like a good choice for you. I practiced Tae Kwon Do years ago and started up last year with its closest cousin, Tang Soo Do. I highly recommend some form of martial arts as a stress/anxiety/anger management tool!

Hmm.

I was going to recommend Makoto, but it seems the original creator sold the rights and now it’s just a glorified electronic Bowflex.

—Patrick

I will say that being part of a martial arts class is really helpful. You know they will notice your absence but they don't depend on your presence to succeed either. So you get the benefits of social pressure (and social interaction) that come with a team but without the penalty of letting any of your team down when you are injured, absent, or struggling. It helps someone stay in it, I think, where working out by yourself is hard to maintain that accountability.

If you get the very basics of protection (usually head, hand/wrist, crotch, elbows/knees) so as to not hurt yourself, pell practice can be an effective way to let off steam that doesn't involve anyone else (i.e. no danger of going overboard).

You can find videos online on pell routines, which makes it closer to an organized/structured activity and gives you benchmarks.

You'd just want whatever protection is advised for the tool you're using (SCA stick => SCA minimums. Kendo stick => Kendo minimums, etc).

Here's, for example, my pell. Wood wrapped in blue camping foam with two layers of outdoors duct tape. Weighed down with two garbage-bag-covered bags of unmixed concrete.
IMG_20180504_152641932.jpg

*raises hand* Former kendoka here. Practiced it in my teens, but stopped when I was around 18 when I moved away and couldn't find a good dojo nearby.

I've never really practiced any other martial arts, so I can't offer any personal comparisons, but generally speaking kendo was quite effective at keeping me fit. I'd imagine it may be a bit more strenuous than other martial arts, because you're swinging around a sword rather than just your arms and legs, but again, I don't know from personal experience. If you're worried about it being too tiring, you could always gradually work your way up. The dojo I went to would have a special section for beginners, who would be dressed in their own exercise clothes, and they'd receive instruction from one of the more senior students. After a few months in the beginner's section, the sensei would give his permission for you to graduate to the general section, which would require you to get your own hakama (loose robe-like trousers), gi (the top), and bogu (the armor).

I practiced it for about four years in total, and made it to 1st kyu, which is the rank just below shodan. Participated in a handful of tournaments, but always lost in the first round, because there were so many people so much better than me. But that was ok, because I was just a beginner, really, so I didn't mind losing.

All in all, if you're interested in giving it a try, I'd say go for it. I do miss my kendo days sometimes, because that was probably the fittest period of my life, and there really is something therapeutic about hitting people with, and getting hit by, a big bamboo stick.

Last edited:
*raises hand* Former kendoka here. Practiced it in my teens, but stopped when I was around 18 when I moved away and couldn't find a good dojo nearby.

I've never really practiced any other martial arts, so I can't offer any personal comparisons, but generally speaking kendo was quite effective at keeping me fit. I'd imagine it may be a bit more strenuous than other martial arts, because you're swinging around a sword rather than just your arms and legs, but again, I don't know from personal experience. If you're worried about it being too tiring, you could always gradually work your way up. The dojo I went to would have a special section for beginners, who would be dressed in their own exercise clothes, and they'd receive instruction from one of the more senior students. After a few months in the beginner's section, the sensei would give his permission for you to graduate to the general section, which would require you to get your own hakama (loose robe-like trousers), gi (the top), and bogu (the armor).

I practiced it for about four years in total, and make it to 1st kyu, which is the rank just below shodan. Participated in a handful of tournaments, but always lost in the first round, because there were so many people so much better than me. But that was ok, because I was just a beginner, really, so I didn't mind losing.

All in all, if you're interested in giving it a try, I'd say go for it. I do miss my kendo days sometimes, because that was probably the fittest period of my life, and there really is something therapeutic about hitting people with, and getting hit by, a big bamboo stick.
I myself am partial to taking people down and crushing them, choking them or bending their joints the wrong way (jiu jitsu guy here). And getting the same back, of course, that's half the fun! :D:D

On a more serious note, while I have never practiced kendo, I have done martial arts for a couple of decades and can vouch for their cathartic and therapeutic benefits. I have never been in better shape than towards the end of my tae kwon do career. Plus, I could kick just like in the movies, y'all!

The important thing is finding a school where you feel comfortable. Remember, the bottom line is, you're learning methods of hurting people. You'll be putting parts of your well-being in your training partners' hands. There needs to be trust between you.

Enjoy the journey my friend.

I did Iaido for 8 years and made my way up to Shodan. It was more of a moving meditative art than anything physical. But I looked damn good in pleated pants.