I know you didn't think your cellphone was secure anyhow but....

Saw that, wasn't sure how to take it. Are they government operated? Are they independent collection folks (like license plate reading companies) just aggregating data?

It's a concern, but how exactly are we supposed to react? We don't control our hardware, it is dictated.

Still, it really makes me want some sort of stumbler-like functionality for my cellphone. I would really like the ability to watch the watchers.

--Patrick

It is probably overkill but if you are interested in making sure your phone is secure here are a few things you can do (these are for Android)

RedPhone provides end-to-end encryption for your calls, securing your conversations so that nobody can listen in.

Textsecure is a security enhanced text messaging application that serves as a full replacement for the default text messaging application. Messages to other TextSecure users are encrypted over the air, and all text messages are stored in an encrypted database on the device.
It is also available from the Android Marketplace.

CSipSimple is a free and open source SIP client for Android that provides end-to-end encryption using ZRTP. It’s compatibility with desktop SIP clients such as jitsi makes it an ideal solution for secure voice.
It is also available from the Android Marketplace.

Android Privacy Guard allows you to encrypt or decrypt files or messages, and can easily be used for an extra layer of encryption.

K-9 is a FLOSS replacement for the built-in Android mail app. It integrates with APG to provide PGP email signing and encryption.

LUKSManager provides on-the-fly encryption (AES by default) to virtual folders on Android devices. The virtual folders can be dynamically mounted, unmounted, created and deleted as needed.

Cryptonite is an app for mounting encrypted EncFS and Truecrypt volumes.
It is also available on Google Play

XX