I guess being a bigot in this day and age doesn't pay huh Chik-Fil-A?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I remember is that the "protest day" was their biggest day ever financially.
Yep, and after that, all the people that didn't like Chik-Fil-A that showed up to prove their bigotry stopped eating there after a few days and the ones who stopped eating there because of the bigotry continued to stopped eating there too. So overall major losses I'm sure.

If that article is correct, it sounds more like Chick-fil A saw it as a necessary face-saving compromise to enter the Chicago market (and by extension, other northern markets). It also says they will "reevaluate" where their donations go; no hard promises there. Amending their anti-discrimination policy in writing is good, although the way it's written makes it sound more like policy regarding customers (which they already unofficially had), not regarding empoloyees. Based off this one article, it doesn't sound like they'll be effecting any substantive change, but I guess we'll see.

Of course they won't really change, this is a public front to try and save face. Still, it's nice to see they're hurting over something so backwards.

Of course they won't really change, this is a public front to try and save face. Still, it's nice to see they're hurting over something so backwards.
If it stops them from contributing to anti-gay groups, it's still a net win. I'd prefer them becoming more enlightened, but I'll take them simply stopping their douchebaggery.

Dave

Staff member
They are building one a couple blocks from my work so I'm torn. On the one hand you have a company who is just terrible. On the other hand, it's a new place to eat right by my work. So either stick to my guns and not eat it on principal, or cave so that I'm not eating the same old shit every day.

They are building one a couple blocks from my work so I'm torn. On the one hand you have a company who is just terrible. On the other hand, it's a new place to eat right by my work. So either stick to my guns and not eat it on principal, or cave so that I'm not eating the same old shit every day.
They are actually a great company to work for, and that pays off in the good service that they are well known for. The trouble is they support a cause that you disagree with. So, they are a good company that supports a bad cause.

Dave just to be a :troll: I will tell you that their customer service is one of the best in any chain food service company. They will be polite, and lacking the dead soul look you often see in other fast food restaurants. Remember the girl that was serving the Jackass executive his water? That's par for the course.

Their sandwiches are good too. :troll:

They were one of my favorite fast food stops, and one that was on my way home from work. When the news broke I 100% stopped eating there. Even though sometimes I feel tempted I remember that no matter how good the sandwich is, I wouldn't walk into an Anti-Gay function and give them money, so why would I give it to someone who's going to do that anyway?

Great company to work for, I'm sure. Noone's saying they don't run good business. It's just where their money goes that I have issue with.

When news broke? You need to stop watching Honey Boo-boo, because Chick-fil-a had their policies for years before it was decided that it needed to be a news story.

When news broke? You need to stop watching Honey Boo-boo, because Chick-fil-a had their policies for years before it was decided that it needed to be a news story.
But Honey Boo Boo represents America!

Also yes, I don't review the corporate policies of every place I eat at. If it comes to light that they're actively promoting something negative though and it comes to my knowledge, then yes I will stop.

Man, if people stopped shopping/eating/having sex in the bathroom of every place that gave money to somewhere they might not like we would probably not be eating and having sex in the bathroom ANYWHERE.

Man, if people stopped shopping/eating/having sex in the bathroom of every place that gave money to somewhere they might not like we would probably not be eating and having sex in the bathroom ANYWHERE.
Trying to follow along to what you're saying here and drawing a blank.

This sounds like moral nihilism.

Every company is probably imperfect, so there's no point in boycotting the one that you know you don't like.

Everything has a flaw, so there's no point in trying to make anything better.

I, for one, refuse to contribute to any business that has a board member that spends money on something I don't approve of.

If anybody failed to get the ridiculousness of my last statement, I'm basically saying that boycotting Chick-fil-A because Dan Cathy supports anti-gay organizations is akin to not going to see a Disney movie because Walt Disney was anti-semitic. If the standard of acceptability from my business is perfection, then we won't be shopping anywhere.

That also means that just because I shop at a place, watch a movie, or eat food somewhere, I am not supporting everything that company's executives support. It's a stupid a concept as saying voting for a presidential candidate means you support everything that candidate stands for. Nobody's perfect, so I just have to make the best with what's available.

If anybody failed to get the ridiculousness of my last statement, I'm basically saying that boycotting Chick-fil-A because Dan Cathy supports anti-gay organizations is akin to not going to see a Disney movie because Walt Disney was anti-semitic. If the standard of acceptability from my business is perfection, then we won't be shopping anywhere.
I think the issue as whole, it's not just a person supporting a group, but him supporting said group through the company. In the case of the Disney example, while he was rumored to be an anti-semite, it was mostly caused due to his own personal ties with certain groups, not ties he made by funneling money through Disney as a corporation into said groups. The issue with the Chick-Fil-A controversy is the fact that the company itself is sending donations to very "anti-gay" organizations. If it was just Dan Cathy sending his own money I don't think we would be seeing the same backlash, because one could argue his chicken sandwich purchase is not directly going into such causes. When the company supports said group, you feel like everything you buy from them is going to something you don't agree with.

doomdragon6

Staff member
I'll help you with this one, Dave, since I know you're doing the whole "better health" thing.

A #1 combo at Chik-fil-A is 1000 calories. 400 for the sammich, 400 for the fries, roughly 200 for the drink.

Stay the fuck away!

Oh thats exactly what I meant. Good catch.
I said it sounded like that. As in, "Could you expand on what you're saying please, because it currently sounds like nihilism. And I don't think that's what you meant."

Or you could go with more impotent snark rather than a real response. Your choice.

You would save money and eat healthier by making your own lunch and bringing it to work. I don't understand the people who spend $50+ a week getting takeout/fast food lunch. Yeah, making lunch each night before work sucks, but it only takes 5 or so minutes.

That also means that just because I shop at a place, watch a movie, or eat food somewhere, I am not supporting everything that company's executives support. It's a stupid a concept as saying voting for a presidential candidate means you support everything that candidate stands for. Nobody's perfect, so I just have to make the best with what's available.
I think a key difference is that Chick-fil-A are quite publicly supporting Dan Cathy's stance though. Ever visited Chick-fil-A's Facebook page? There are only statements of support for their noble crusade against the filthy homosexuals. Statements of disagreement, even friendly, rational, or reasonably worded ones, are removed immediately.

Contrast that to Disney, who (AFAIK) have never said, "Yes, we as a corporation support our founder's anti-semitism."

Yes, companies are probably spending their money on causes I disagree with all the time. For all I know, the manufacturer of the keyboard I'm tapping away on right now is secretly stealing fissile materials from abandoned power plants and selling the stuff to terrorists. But they're not making a public statement out of it.

Contrast that to how Chick-fil-A have basically drawn a line in the sand. "This is what we believe in. So are you with us or against us?"

That's pretty much what I feel. If a company openly backs up the outspoken bigot, then I'm -done- with them.

If a board member is just a bigot, then -shrug- it's one guy in a huge company.

Status
Not open for further replies.