Hurricane Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a HURRICANE!

I know this is supposed to be a big one. I also remember Hurricane Tropical Storm Floyd that was supposed to be enormous. If you're in the south, I hope you stay safe. If you're up north like me, it's gonna be wet, but stop fucking panicking.

Floyd was a Hurricane when it hit NC. It was pretty devastating to our county.

Satellite image of Sandy from Oct 27:

The news back then was saying it "wasn't too bad." Though they were comparing it to Andrew, which I was too little to remember.

As for Sandy, I may need to eat my words. I can't even go to work tomorrow because everything's shut down until further notice. My boss wants us in for just the early morning (optional) but I don't see how I can do it.

It is silent outside. No cars, no bugs, no wind. Fucking eerie.

Had a boss tell me I had to come in the morning after a snowstorm. Cars were abandoned on the side of the road due to sleet. Windshields were solid blocks of ice.

I was like, yeah.... no?

Best of luck to all who are in Sandy's way though.

Didn't do a damned thing here apart from make it deliciously cool today... yesterday it was humid though. Yech...

Hope folks up north are staying safe, though

Best of luck and best wishes to the folks in the path of the storm.

But I just have to get this out of my system. Every time I see a mention of this hurricane, I start hearing a song in my head.

Saaandy
Can't you seeeee
I'm in miseryyyyyyy

I didn't know you could have fog and heavy wind at the same time. This storm is weird as hell.

Took a hot shower while there's still power. It'd be nice not to lose power. Really nice. Haha.

So with what would've been the work day winding down, I gotta say I feel like things around here didn't need to shut down. My area's been spared the worst of it so far and what heavy snow and rain I can see on the radar seems to be keeping west of us. That said, no idea what tomorrow will be like. And for all I know, had I gone outside, I'd feel things went much worse. As it is, in my illusion-brain, I could've gone to work today had the area nut shut down.

The alternative, of course, is to leave businesses and colleges and such open, and then have to worry about people not being able to make it home safely at the end of the day, and face potential litigation because of it. Unfortunately, these days, the powers that be are pretty much screwed either way. I know any time that they pre-emptively close schools over here for winter storms, if there's no snow on the day it was forecast everyone's up in arms about there not having been school; but then when it does snow, if it's not predicted to be a major event and schools aren't closed, everyone's up in arms about them having put their children at risk and we wind up with 10 hour commutes to go 10 miles.

EAST COAST POSTERS, CHECK IN PLEASE

Personally, the winds here (SW Ontario) are getting faster and it's been raining for like 4 days. Our house is basically built on a sand hill so I'm not worried about any potential flooding but we've been instructed to charge our chargeables and prepare for power loss.

Shannow

Staff member
Waiting for work to call me in, we are on 24/7 oncall here until Friday. Wind is starting to pick up outside. If power goes down, I will just say fuck it and head to the office for the night.

I've already had one flight canceled and I'm in Ohio. Should be interesting to see if I get home tomorrow.

I've already had one flight canceled and I'm in Ohio. Should be interesting to see if I get home tomorrow.
I hope you're not at the Cleveland Hopkins Airport, because they just announced all flights there have been canceled.

I'm not. I'm in Cincinnati. Currently US Airways is giving the green light for tomorrow so we shall see.

Hugs to everyone affected by this storm. Please be safe and let us know how you're doing when you get the chance. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Hope everyone is alright.

On a side note, how much is the U.S. hit by 'natural disasters' anyway? Hurricanes, but also things like earthquakes, floods, maybe even volcano eruptions? As far as I can remember nothing big ever happens here (then again my country is of course tiny in size)

My thoughts exactly Emrys.

I really hope everyone is okay and hope you all can check in when you can.

I feel very...affectionate, mother-hen, I just want to hug everyone and keep them safe....:(

figmentPez

Staff member
On a side note, how much is the U.S. hit by 'natural disasters' anyway? Hurricanes, but also things like earthquakes, floods, maybe even volcano eruptions? As far as I can remember nothing big ever happens here (then again my country is of course tiny in size)
As far as I know every area in the US can be hit by one sort of natural disaster or another. Some areas have a higher chance, but between earthquakes, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, ice storms, mudslides, wildfires, etc. I'm pretty sure just about everywhere gets something at some point.

Heard from my mom. Things are ok in their area, just very windy and rainy. They still have power, too. She told me it was nothing worse than any other storm they've dealt with in the past.

South Jersey represent. Windy as fuck, certain roads are flooded but not too flooded, and the power is still on. As said by WasabiPoptart , not as bad as any other strom I just wish I wasn't in a treey area...in a hurricane.

Looks like it's taken down Gawker and all it's affiliates.
And nothing of value was lost.

Pittsburgh area is closing quite a bit tomorrow. We've just got a lot of wind and rain for now. 60 MPH gusts predicted for tomorrow. Relatives in the Beckley/Princeton/Bluefield area may see as much as 2 feet of snow.

NC, just south of everything. We've had decent winds and it was raining most of today. From what I've heard there's a lot more rain on the coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.