Hurricane Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even in Toronto we were getting crazy amounts of warnings. They weren't evacuating anyplaces or anything, but they were asking residents to get 72hour emergency kits ready, take out $500-$1000 in cash because debit systems could be down for a few days, all this stuff. Woke up this morning, clear blue sky, some more leaves on the ground, not even windy anymore. I know how bad it hit New York, but man I have to say I was almost a little disappointed in how it showed up here. Though parts of the city are without power. One person died when she was hit by a sign that came loose in the wind.
There was also a big fire, but I don't think they think it was in anyway cause by the storm. From what I'm hearing, it sounds like there was an explosion.

Ross

Staff member
Sandy was truly an incredible storms near the top of the record books for the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. I went to the New Jersey coast and experienced just some of what it had to offer on Monday. Didn't capture some of the more dramatic scenes out there, but now that I see what there was, I'm kind of glad that I didn't see the worst of the devastation... would have been hard to take all that in. It was odd to see so many people out and about along the coast... don't know if there's just that many people in NJ who are that dumb, or if they just didn't think the storm was going to be that bad. Even at the height of the storm, people were driving around as if nothing was going on while gusts to hurricane strength were pushing through.

Now the dunes are gone and the coast is left exposed. Another coastal storm is in the works for mid-week, and though it won't be nearly as bad, the coasts are vulnerable to any type of storm and this will just be insult to injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.