Hurricane Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
And nothing of value was lost.

Pittsburgh area is closing quite a bit tomorrow. We've just got a lot of wind and rain for now. 60 MPH gusts predicted for tomorrow. Relatives in the Beckley/Princeton/Bluefield area may see as much as 2 feet of snow.
My grandparents live in Mt. Pleasant, south of Pittsburgh. I should probably give them a call.

North Jersey here. Lot of flooding over here, had a few brownouts but power is still on. I'm on the 25th floor of a hi-rise, so I am totally dry.

Seeing southern Manhattan's lights flicker in concert is a bit freaky. :eek:

Side of a building inn NYC has collapsed.

During the walk up to the building, I thought it was going to be a video of it collapsing and thought it was going to be the larger one just behind it. Was very worried the video was going to take a much darker turn.

Is that crane that was on top of that high-rise still dangling over the edge?
It was the last report I saw, but the base of the crane had turned from being pointed south to being pointed southwest; and the winds were expected to pick up.

Winds are picking up over here, damn door almost fell off when I was checking on the rabbit(house door, not the rabbit cage door). Should I bring in the rabbit? Its cage is heavy so I don't think it'll fly away but I'm still not sure. ADVICE PLEASE!

Reports of a foot of snow an hour south of here. Mom called Grandma in Bluefield, they only have a couple of inches so far. I-68 in Preston County isn't closed... yet, but it's a near whiteout to the MD border.

Just a lot of wind and rain at the house, but there's reports of snow elsewhere in town. :(

Reports of a foot of snow an hour south of here. Mom called Grandma in Bluefield, they only have a couple of inches so far. I-68 in Preston County isn't closed... yet, but it's a near whiteout to the MD border.

Just a lot of wind and rain at the house, but there's reports of snow elsewhere in town. :(
Dude, most radars I've seen has most of WV in a solid sea of WHITE.

Add the 30-40 mph winds, and... (shudder)

Winds are picking up over here, damn door almost fell off when I was checking on the rabbit(house door, not the rabbit cage door). Should I bring in the rabbit? Its cage is heavy so I don't think it'll fly away but I'm still not sure. ADVICE PLEASE!
Can you get it inside safely?

Overnight/early morning updates:
  • 6-alarm fire in Breezy Point neighborhood of Queens - upwards of 50 homes burning.
  • US Nuclear Regulatory Commission is currently monitoring the Oyster Creek Nuclear Power Plant in NJ - which is currently in a planned outage - after the water level has exceeded the plant's criteria for high water.
  • NYU Hospital has been evacuated, including PICU and NICU, after their basement flooded and their backup generators failed. At least one other hospital in the area also has a flooded basement, but no injuries reported.
  • MTA is reporting it could take up to 4 days to empty water out of the subway tunnels.

Getting nailed with a nasty snow storm with 60 MPH winds here in Ohio. It's been 20+ years since we've had snow on Halloween. I can barely imagine what it's like further east.

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens as the storm moves west, since it was originally forecast to hook north and then back east over the water when it came ashore, but it doesn't look like that's going to be the case this morning.

I think my wife and I are just in a lucky part of Maryland; the wind blustered a bit last night, but this morning its a middling rain. Not much flooding that I can see.

I'm sure on the east end they got a hell of a lot more water.

Snow started to stick to the ground just after 6am, making the drive home a slushy, slidy mess. CNN did a live standup from Kingwood, about a half hour east of me. They got it a whole lot worse.

A guy at work was "joking" that the NE was hit by the hurricane because of all the bad behavior up there...

I replied, what does that say about us, we've been hit by 20+ hurricanes since the last time they took one.

Wind is picking up in Wisconsin, despite it being a basically clear day.

Mid-lake buoy on Lake Michigan is at high levels. That flooding advisory is still in effect.

We were fine in Markham, ON last night. High winds, power outages. Our lights blinked a few times before we went to bed, but I know that there are still sections of the GTA without power now. Only one fatality reported in Toronto last night due to the storm - Woman was killed by a flying store sign that blew off.

The worst that happened to us was that we were delayed 40 minutes taking the wife to work this morning because of traffic lights being out, and people not knowing how a 4 way stop works. Granted, it's a little hard to do when you have 3+ lanes each direction.

• US Nuclear Regulatory Commission is currently monitoring the Oyster Creek Nuclear Power Plant in NJ - which is currently in a planned outage - after the water level has exceeded the plant's criteria for high water.
It can take weeks to cool off a reactor completely so it no longer needs active cooling (and some reactors can never be put in a state where they don't need active cooling), fortunately this one has been shut down since the 22nd. Since the Japan earthquake all nuclear plants near the seaboards have taken additional steps to prevent the possibility of extraordinary flooding preventing them from continuing plant operation. In this case they met the minimum high water mark early in the storm, then the maximum high water mark recently, though they expect the flooding to subside. These high water measurements are at the plant's water intake, and the plant itself is still higher than the flooding. The NRC dispatched additional nuclear inspectors to all plants that might be affected by the storm prior to landfall, so they are getting a steady stream of updates and any actions that need to be taken will be in a timely manner.

So for none of the plants have shut down due to the storm. http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/event-status/reactor-status/ps.html As it turns out, though, many plants in that region are in a scheduled shut down for maintenance anyway.

Given that the 25 year relationship between the red cross and the LDS church became more formal: http://fox13now.com/2012/06/20/lds-church-red-cross-announce-new-partnership/ in june:

The American Red Cross and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints made an announcement formalizing their partnership on Wednesday.

The two organizations have had a working relationship for the last 25 years. The memorandum signed and relieved Wednesday layouts a framework of the LDS church capabilities and capacity of support to the Red Cross.

“We are more prepared than ever for when disaster strikes because of the relationship that we have with the LDS Church,” said Gail McGovern, president and CEO of the American Red Cross. “We also want the public to know how grateful we are for their support on so many element of our mission.”

LDS churches can be used as shelters as well as approved blood service facilities. They will also work with the Red Cross on preparedness drills.

The LDS church said the agreement is more robust in defining their role and revitalized the decades old partnership.
we will probably be seeing these types of pictures in the news leading up to the election. There are some areas that are still going to be needing power and cleanup during the election, and it makes me wonder how much this storm will depress blue-state voting along the eastern coast because people will simply be too busy to vote. It probably won't affect the overall results due to the way electoral votes works, but there's going to be speculation. Obama's already out ahead of it, knowing that any delay is going to cost him critical votes: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_...ama-deserves-great-credit-for-storm-response/ Not much the Romney campaign can do to increase their visibility during this time without appearing to politicize the disaster. If anything they've gone quieter.

Either way, I hope those who need help get it soon. It's hard that it's such a slow moving storm - there are areas that will be hit for days and won't be able to receive emergency services for a few days after it slows.

My brother, 45 minutes inland in NJ, just got his power back on, and the storm wasn't too bad in his area. I'm amazed at the reports of surge and waves on the lakes around me though. Yeah, it's really windy, and it sucks that we're getting all the cold canuickistanian air right before halloween, but even 5 foot waves on the great lakes are bad. 10-14 foot waves is just ridiculous (insert the edmund fitzgerald song here - "when the gales of November came early"). Still, it's just business as usual here.

Stay safe everyone!

Heard from my mom again. She said the trees are intact, electricity is on and their basement is amazingly dry. My best friend in PA is without power. Another good friend in PA is also without power because of a downed pole.

Things in my town are pretty calm as of the moment, but I hear the rain will pick up at any time. I'm just glad I still have power is all I'm saying.

Still raining here a bit, but much less windy. We didn't lose power overnight, but my neighbour's fence fell down into our backyard.

Windy day around here. Apparently Lake Michigan hit its record high level at 20.3 feet (I may be wrong in that measure, sorry). Apparently, the wave forecast has gone down as of late, so the voluntary evacuations have been stopped in SE Kenosha County.

Status
Not open for further replies.