How Much is My Computer Worth?

So, I mentioned in other threads that I'm thinking of cutting back on gaming, selling my gaming rig, and getting maybe a Surface Pro or 2-in-1 laptop of some sort. I'm still debating, honestly. I just don't think it's healthy for me to spend hours, even days, in front of the computer like I have been. I even thought of selling or tossing the whole desk and chair if I got rid of this rig, which would clear a substantial amount of room.

But I have no idea how much by 4-year-old computer would be worth. I thought maybe $500, but even that might be too much to expect. I'd also be selling the monitor (27" LED, S27D360H), so maybe another $100 there. Plus the keyboard, speakers, probably a couple of the Xbox controllers. Probably the Steam Link (and keep the controller).

Anyway, I took a screenshot from Can You Run It's site on my specs. Not sure if that's enough for anyone to take a guess.

Specs.png

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm not up on my AMD equipment, but on ebay right now, R9 200s are going for about $100, FX-6300s seem to be going for 50-75, and the motherboard seems to be going for about $100 too.. throw in a bit more for ram, the case, the PSU... if it were me, I'd be asking $500 and not go lower than $400 (American). But before you do that, get a second opinion from Pat and DarkAudit and maybe some others - I'm more of an Intel/Nvidia guy.

GPU-Z is another utility helpful for inspecting video cards.

All amounts in $US, all valuations taken from active eBay listings for “used” components:
CPU FX-6300 - $40 (without heatsink)
RAM 2x4GB DDR3-800 - $12
MLB M5A78L-M - $60
GPU 7870 “GHz Edition” - $80
LCD S27D360H - $100

Those are prices for the “core” components you name (or that I can determine from your specs). The prices listed are not the lowest ones on the site, just what I feel you could list each for and get interest. None of them include shipping/customs/duty/VAT/etc.

You did not list any of the other components, but you can get a brand new basic case+PSU for $40-60, a refurbished 2tb HDD for $60, and basic kbd/mouse for ~$15ea.

EDIT: Looks like Gas posted while I was researching. The 7xxx/2xx are almost the exact same GPU, to the point where even utilities sometimes have trouble telling them apart.

—Patrick

I'm a little pressed for time at the moment, but /r/AMD is another resource for AMD stuff. And maybe /r/buildapc.

Edit: REDACTED

Last edited:
@DarkAudit I think he was looking to shed the desktop in an attempt to reduce the temptation to drown his sorrows in pixels, so building an upgraded system might run counter to that.

—Patrick