Movie News & Miscellany

GasBandit

Staff member

GasBandit

Staff member
And what's next, movies about Pole Position? Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors? Centurions? The Spiral Zone? The mufuggin THUNDERCATS?

Heh, with superhero movies raking it in, they might pretend the Phantom movie never happened and make Defenders of the Earth.

But let us not forget how badly this kind of endeavor can turn out.

Last edited:
let us not forget how badly this kind of endeavor can turn out.
Hey, you don't need to tell me. I've seen The Shadow. In the theater, even.

And they probably would've made a Thundercats movie by now, except that whoever tries it will be branded a buncha furries. We're more likely to get a Silverhawks movie out of Hollywood, since they were "just" cyborgs.

--Patrick

And what's next, movies about Pole Position? Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors? Centurions? The Spiral Zone? The mufuggin THUNDERCATS?

Heh, with superhero movies raking it in, they might pretend the Phantom movie never happened and make Defenders of the Earth.

But let us not forget how badly this kind of endeavor can turn out.
I'd love a centurians movie.

POWER EXTREME!

Haven't thought about those in years. I can almost remember Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors. It was something about evil plants right?. The only thing I remember about MASK is an episode with a crystal skull.

The villain's name is Miles Mayhem. MILES. MAYHEM.
Leader of VENoM.

I know the one henchman's mask weapon was "Stiletto!" and it fired purple daggers or something.

What I found amusing was that the good guys, for the most part, had thoroughly shitty vehicles. I mean, an Iron Duke Camaro (with it's whopping 94 hp), a Suzuki dirt bike, a Jeep CJ-7 (Renegade), '57 Chevy Bel Air, and Peterbilt 359 big rig.

The worst by far was the Jeep, because it's special ability was to launch a jet ski. I mean, great if you suddenly had a lake to deal with, but since they appeared to be working in and around Monument Valley, Utah, not a whole lot of water, you know?

Also, in an attempt at subtlety, one of the baddies drove a Datsun 300zx. Unlike the mostly American vehicles the goodies drove.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
The worst by far was the Jeep, because it's special ability was to launch a jet ski. I mean, great if you suddenly had a lake to deal with, but since they appeared to be working in and around Monument Valley, Utah, not a whole lot of water, you know?
And yet, somehow every episode was able to find a reason for him to need to launch the speedboat.

The two toys every kid wanted were the jeep-boat and the big rig. The Camaro was mythical, nobody ever actually knew anybody who owned one. Everybody had the cycle/copter, me included :D I suspect it was because it was the least expensive of all the toys. Only ever met one guy who had Mayhem's Jet-copter.

Also, apparently there was a comic series later that shoehorned MASK into the GI Joe/Transformers continuity, and made Miles Mayhem one of the original Action Team with Joe - yes, the original G.I. Joe. But they had a falling out and Mayhem tried to kill him at "The Dolphin Bay incident" and he went rogue, and took a lot of the MASK people and vehicles with him to form VENoM as a group loosely affiliated with COBRA.

And yet, somehow every episode was able to find a reason for him to need to launch the speedboat.

The two toys every kid wanted were the jeep-boat and the big rig. The Camaro was mythical, nobody ever actually knew anybody who owned one. Everybody had the cycle/copter, me included :D I suspect it was because it was the least expensive of all the toys. Only ever met one guy who had Mayhem's Jet-copter.

Also, apparently there was a comic series later that shoehorned MASK into the GI Joe/Transformers continuity, and made Miles Mayhem one of the original Action Team with Joe - yes, the original G.I. Joe. But they had a falling out and Mayhem tried to kill him at "The Dolphin Bay incident" and he went rogue, and took a lot of the MASK people and vehicles with him to form VENoM as a group loosely affiliated with COBRA.
I had this friend in my childhood, BJ. BJ was 6'1" in 5th grade (eventually topping out at 6'6"), was an only child with a single mom, and she fucking bought him every goddamn toy. He had literally every single Star Wars toy, every GI Joe, every MASK, including the Jet-copter and Camaro. Centurions. Inhumanoids. Voltron. He-Man. His room had a better stock of toys than your average KayBee Toys. He had Colecovision, Atari 7800, and Intellivision, when the rest of us were making do with maybe an Atari 2600 or Commodore 64. He moved, went to a different middle school, and basically we never hung out afterwards, even though we went to the same high school.

I sometimes suspect that his mom spoiling him was why he became a rapist. He was dating this girl, Paulette, in high school, and one day they were fooling around, and when she said, "that's far enough," he decided that, no, in fact it was not. Then to make sure no one would believe her if she told anyone, he spread rumors throughout school that she was a slut. I'd heard some of those rumors but I didn't really believe them. Paulette and I sat next to each other in homeroom, and she just didn't give off that 'slut vibe', you know?

Paulette didn't tell me about it until we started hanging out and messing around, years after graduation.

figmentPez

Staff member
The Camaro was mythical, nobody ever actually knew anybody who owned one.
You mean the one with the gull-wing doors that became wings? Yeah, I had one of those. It was in sad shape by the time my childhood was over. Missing a tire (or three), one of the wing extensions was broken, and it was badly scuffed. Awesome toy, though.

Is it going to be the REAL Hunchback or the Disneyfied version?
The current broadway musical version is sort of a happy medium; it's mostly in line with the original book version but with an altered Disney score to match the tone and feel of the more serious subject matter, including removing an old song and including a new one. I actually kind of dig it.

Here's some more miscellaneous movie news:

Christopher Young is a talented as hell composer. You say that's not news? You're right because that's been the case since the 80s. He's been scoring good movies, yes, but he's also been polishing garbage that doesn't deserve beautiful haunting music. He needs some more damn acknowledgment, and not just because I love the Hellraiser score to death.

I have been awake for 20 hours, but you wouldn't be able to tell that without my saying so, right? I should totally go to bed.

(if you're not into score music it's just going to sound like noise, but for me it's a big deal, and I was very busy and on a score kick last night)

(oh my god that violin)