Home remedies... do they work for you? or harmful to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chibibar

BBC News - Alternative remedies 'dangerous' for kids says report

This is interesting. I wonder how many of those deaths are related to doctor's suggestion to these remedies or are these just parents overriding doctor's order?

It does make a BIG difference in terms of this news article.
If a doctor's recommend alternatives, then it would be the doctor's fault for not checking the remedies will work well with children. I know jack about medical procedures and medicine. I pay my doctors in hope they will give me the best care possible. If not, always get a second license medical doctor's approval.

If the parents are making these decisions on their own, then it is something to worry about. A larger campaign might be needed to educate parents on why such remedies should be avoided and please consult your license medical professional before taking alternatives.

So..... with that aside, what type of home remedies do you use for your ills and chills?

J

Jiarn

I grew up in a very Hispanic community by very Hispanic parents.... yeah I was doused in Home remedies since I was young. From flu cures, to rashes, to sickness, to just about everything.

I don't really use them on my kids so much, but my parents will if they're visiting. I don't see the harm.

C

Chibibar

I grew up in a very Hispanic community by very Hispanic parents.... yeah I was doused in Home remedies since I was young. From flu cures, to rashes, to sickness, to just about everything.

I don't really use them on my kids so much, but my parents will if they're visiting. I don't see the harm.
Some remedies should look into. I consider myself some-what a religious person, but I guess I lack the faith on faith base healing. If I have a broken bone, I am not going to pray for a recovery, I'm going to the doctor and get it set and cast, then I'll pray for a quick recovery :)

now of course Chinese medicine is an interesting one. There are lots of herbs and such I DO use for upset stomach (hardly anymore since I don't get many) or cold, but I personally would go for a 2nd opinion if it were a serious case (i.e. stomach still hasn't gone away)

figmentPez

Staff member
I think home remedies usually work best when in collaboration with a doctor's medical treatment. Learn to take care of yourself, and that includes knowing when you can't handle things without someone more knowledgeable.

Ginger tea (and to a lesser extent ginger ale, or ginger candy) works very well for helping with nausea and seasickness. Well, if the spiciness of ginger doesn't make you feel ill.

Mullein oil soothes earaches, I know this from experience because I had a lot as a child.

Nasal irrigation (rinsing out the sinuses with saltwater) can help treat sinus infections and allergies. My doctor actually started me on this one. I'm taking prescription for the infection, but the nasal irrigation is speeding things up.

Hmm, the closest thing to a "home remedy" that I can remember growing up was a cup of tea with honey, and a spoonful of codeine. Man I love codeine.

Status
Not open for further replies.