Hey, a music video thread!

This one I always really liked the mannequin orchestra visual.

and this one has always been a delight that'll cheer me up when I need it.

Nothing quite like the classics:
Peter Gabriel makes one of the coolest videos ever.

Will Vinton &Co FTW!

Rick Springfield stars in his own 80's fantasy space drama.

Any resemblance to any other Sci-Fi series is entirely coincidental.

Tom Petty and his friends eat a girl on television.

HEY!

--Patrick

1) whatever happens to alien ant farm?

2 ) this isn't the best music video ever but dammit if it's not delightful

1) whatever happens to alien ant farm?

2 ) this isn't the best music video ever but dammit if it's not delightful

They took a looooooong break due to the lead singer breaking his back in a bus accident, but they actually released an album in 2014.

Ghost has been my jam on and off the last year or so.

Dave

Staff member
Not mine and I don't think this is from the band, but...

The smiling moon and the night sky present a view of heaven and the midway before the carnival represents the midway journey of a body from heaven to earth and no doubt the 'Carnival of Rust' represents 'the Earth'.

The body finds itself trapped with in its limitations. The mask on her face limits her vocals and her capability to hear.

Her consciousness or let's say the soul is also trapped and caged and is trying to alert the body before any of her decisions. The problem is, the soul can do it only with words which is of no use for the body as her senses are limited.

He finds another way to communicate, the taro cards. However, the body is not an expert in that too.

The musicians are the most productive and important people of our societies who give their live selflessly to make our lives happy and beautiful, like farmers. We may not acknowledge their efforts because our senses are limited.

The various characters in the song represents religions and all the other stimulants which affects our senses which are open and proactive. They find ways to play our limits. No matter the scream and ugly voices they produce, do not bother us. But the visuals are presentable enough for us to acknowledge.

The video of the song goes something like this:-

The first taro card shown by the caged man is "The Star", that means "You will be hopeful and confident about the future." which signifies the beginning of life.

Skipping the part of musician and others(as it has been described before) we come to the second card, "Nine of Swords". It means that," Try not to blame people and situations for your anxiety. Try and control the things which you can." It's a kind of warning for the body to not to take any silly decision which may harm her in the future.

That was all from the point of view of the soul(The caged man), now its the ignorant body(The masked girl) which try to present her side of story. She imagines herself in a roller coaster. She finds an instability in her life. She wants to find the stillness and the calmness in her life. That's what she is searching for in this "Carnival of Rust".

The musicians are playing the instruments without seeking for any attention or anything in return. The body donates them a few coins and the candy to them, which shows how much we as a society care for the people who are actually making an effort to make this world good enough to live.

The stimulants, I'd like to say them religion are trying to catch our eyes and we are falling for them. The body wants the calmness in her life and feels that the religion may provide her that. She willfully offers everything to the religion for a little bit of peace.

The breaking of plates signifies the end of innocence of the body and straight away the soul presents "Eight of Cups", which signifies "whatever you are doing is not working for you." But she continues despite of the warnings. The religion seems cheery and happy.

"Nine of Wands" is flashed immediately, which signifies "anxiety and worry" which is quite obvious right now.

The tear in the eye of soul is a symbol of 'everything lost'. She has lost her innocence, her possessions and most importantly her hopes.

The soul urges the body not to leave now and fight, use all the strength to fight back and ask for what is rightfully yours. "The Magician" signifies " making higher and better use of one's power." But it doesn't seem that anything has an effect on the body.

She leaves the Carnival of Rust, but whatever she was looking for she couldn't get. She struggled all her life and at the end of her life, she was again clueless.

"The Star" and the smiling moon at the end of the song signify the wait for another life.

Huh. I didn't expect that someone would go and analyze the whole video. Well, I guess I should've, given how edgy it is.
I just meant that I wondered if the tarot sequence corresponded to an actual reading format, or had some other message.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Ever heard a song you liked from a long time ago and realize that the words are nothing like how you remembered them? Yeah, that's this song to me. I didn't realize just how creepy the lyrics were - about a 34 year old singing to a 16 year old girl. But what I *didn't* count on was the video being 100x creepier than the song itself. Enjoy!

Ugh. I need a shower now. And seriously, you show up at my house to pick up my daughter with tattoos, piercings, make up...no one cares. But you feather your hair and I will beat your ass up and down the street.