Herman Cain's 9-9-9 Tax Plan came from Sim City

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chibibar

Well, a lot of sim game is pretty advance.

Didn't EvE online was being study and use for some accounting firm?

C

Chibibar

To be fair, EvE online is practically a Wall Street simulator with pretty graphics at this point. It's all ABOUT economic management.
True. The market are actual people playing instead of "calculated" like Sim City 4.

But I wouldn't discount Sims in general. I know that you can actually put flight hours (not all but most) on Flight Sims. why not economic model? basically plug in the variables and see how it play out (not much difference with other predictors)

But I will totally agree that EvE would have been a better test bed since Corporation are running true capitalism and you can see "devastation" if Devs tinker with that ;)

But I will totally agree that EvE would have been a better test bed since Corporation are running true capitalism and you can see "devastation" if Devs tinker with that ;)
Except the Dev's tinkering with it is usually what keeps the market from crashing.

GasBandit

Staff member
We can make is a pre-req!! ;)
Yes, the 28th amendment! "No person shall be allowed to hold public office who cannot first demonstrate the ability to win a game of sim city on normal difficulty - winning defined as a lasting a full game (1900-2000) with an acceptable outcome."

Yes, the 28th amendment! "No person shall be allowed to hold public office who cannot first demonstrate the ability to win a game of sim city on normal difficulty - winning defined as a lasting a full game (1900-2000) with an acceptable outcome."
No, because then there would be argument over what an "acceptable outcome" would be. You'd have guys going "Well the city's still there... well, most of it is!" and expecting to get in office!

GasBandit

Staff member
No, because then there would be argument over what an "acceptable outcome" would be. You'd have guys going "Well the city's still there... well, most of it is!" and expecting to get in office!
Fine, I'll define it right now - a balanced budget and a population of metropolis or greater.

What I'm hearing is that we need an occupy EVE.
The players themselves have already done that. Complete with ships firing on landmarks in the game. It ended when developers created a council for players that had influence on the game design.

GasBandit

Staff member
The tree of liberty must be periodically refreshed with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.

-Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be periodically refreshed with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.

-Thomas Jefferson
Congratulations! You are the 1,000,000th person to misuse that quote on the internet this month! As a prize, I present you with the full quote so as to better understand the actual context:

The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. ... What country before ever existed a century and half without a rebellion? And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.
(emphasis mine)

Jefferson was actually commenting on Shay's Rebellion. He was considering that, while it was important for citizens to make their feelings known through protest and rebellion (as a last resort), the people will get upset over things without fully understanding the issues. The best course of action was for a government to listen to the people, dispel ignorance, and then forgive anyone who protested against them. Likewise, the people should gain more knowledge and come to an agreement with their leaders. And if a few people (the rebels/protesters) die in the process, it's not a big problem because, basically, shit happens.

That quote is not the noble call to violent rebellion and overthrowing the government that you think it is.

I love one of those articles:

"A poet once said:
I want to be the very best.
Like no one ever was.

To catch them is my real test;
to train them is my cause.

A heart so true;
our courage will pull us through.
You teach me, and I'll teach you.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!
God bless you, and God bless the United States of America!"

Dave

Staff member
The 999 plan would still screw over the bottom and benefit the top. Flat taxation is a terrible idea and will never, ever work. And if you think that the upper tier won't get loopholes in a flat-tax system then I have a bridge I want to sell you because you are either naive, gullible or just fucking stupid.

GasBandit

Staff member
The 999 plan would still screw over the bottom and benefit the top. Flat taxation is a terrible idea and will never, ever work. And if you think that the upper tier won't get loopholes in a flat-tax system then I have a bridge I want to sell you because you are either naive, gullible or just fucking stupid.
Cain's 999 plan is actually pretty irrelevant, as we have about as much chance of seeing real, substantive tax reform (meaning other than just rate/exemption changes on the existing system) as we have bicycling to the moon.

On the other hand, if you think there's ANY kind of tax system where the "upper tier" won't figure ways around it, you are ever so much moreso the above.

Dave

Staff member
Cain's 999 plan is actually pretty irrelevant, as we have about as much chance of seeing real, substantive tax reform (meaning other than just rate/exemption changes on the existing system) as we have bicycling to the moon.

On the other hand, if you think there's ANY kind of tax system where the "upper tier" won't figure ways around it, you are ever so much moreso the above.
I agree. The rich hire lawyers and lobbyists and they are the ones who make policy. We don't have that kind of power. But the flat tax is still worse than even what we have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.