[News] Hello, I'm a nazi child murderer.

At least, according to CBN and CNN.

Anyone any questions about our kill-babies-for-fun law we're going to pass this evening? Step one: do'nt believe anything you've heard about it on either of those stations. The "documentary" isn't just imprecise or misrepresenting stuff, it's flat-out telling lies.

I can't read the CBN one, but I assume its garbage. From what I understand from the Reuters article, I still don't think its right. 12 years old isn't old enough to be able to make a decision like this IMO, and like the person said, its can be the parents who want the child to die. I don't like the idea of parents, even well meaning ones, putting pressure on a kid to let him die.

I can't read the CBN one, but I assume its garbage. From what I understand from the Reuters article, I still don't think its right. 12 years old isn't old enough to be able to make a decision like this IMO, and like the person said, its can be the parents who want the child to die. I don't like the idea of parents, even well meaning ones, putting pressure on a kid to let him die.
I could see if a child is in constant pain, that it would be a viable option for a parent. If a child is terminally ill and knows nothing but torment, I would think a parent would want to end their child's suffering.

That being said, if there was a .0000001% chance that their child would survive, I don't think most parents would even consider it.

I could see if a child is in constant pain, that it would be a viable option for a parent. If a child is terminally ill and knows nothing but torment, I would think a parent would want to end their child's suffering.

That being said, if there was a .0000001% chance that their child would survive, I don't think most parents would even consider it.
I mean, even if the kid is in pain and 100% going to die, I don't think it'd be right to put any pressure, even unconsciously on him to let himself die if he doesn't want to. Even if the parent thinks it is the right decision for the child.

This is supposed to be exclusively for terminal illnesses (I don't know in how short a term) and AFAIK it's not age restricted (the Dutch are the ones who have the 12 year old minimum).

I get what you are saying, blotsfan, but that's going to happen with any decision. I mean, deciding to keep suffering until you die naturally is also a decision, and it's also unfair that parents can influence their children to avoid ending their lives, isn't it? Exactly as unfair, I'd say. But it is what it is, and I don't think that's enough reason to take that away from a child (if it's something bad enough that you'd let an adult die to avoid it, why wouldn't you let a child avoid it too?)

Disclaimer: This is in part to keep the discussion going. I don't have a hard stance on this.

I'm not in favor of assisted suicide or euthanasia, for any reason.

However I do believe it's the parents and child's right to refuse continuing painful treatment if the outcome is likely to be fatal either way.

So while that law may go too far, it probably will help a few situations where children are being taken from their parents in such situations and still die after a long period of painful treatment.

From what I know about assisted suicide or euthanasia it is not a decision which is taken lightly by the doctors or hospitals. Just because you come to this decision either for yourself or someone else you have legal guardianship over (part of the research I did was about euthanasia for older people with dementia in European countries) it does not mean you get the medications right away. There is a process involving interviews, psychiatric evaluations with the person and their guardian(s), consultations with physicians outside of the case, and so on. At any time the patient/guardian is able to change their minds. The doctors, including those who evaluate the patient that have otherwise not been part of the case, can recommend against it. The patients, if lucid enough, have to put their wishes in writing several times. I would assume that the same thing would happen with terminally ill children who ask to be allowed to die or whose parents come to this conclusion. It is not as simple as saying "Give us the medication so my child will not wake up" as Hollywood might portray euthanasia cases.
I'll admit, I am a supporter of the right to die with dignty. As a parent, this would be the hardest choice I would ever have to make regarding my children. I can't say what I would do if faced with that.

I do believe it's the parents and child's right to refuse continuing painful treatment if the outcome is likely to be fatal either way.
At least with mandatory health insurance for long-term care, the parents are not forced to sell off 100% of their personal assets and declare bankruptcy (i.e., "commit financial suicide") before they can legitimately allow the hospital to pull the plug.

--Patrick