Happy Holidays, Halforums!

Also, a very big thank you to everyone who built new gaming rigs this year. I read every one of the build discussions and chose the GeForce GTX 750 Ti for my wife's Christmas present, since the video card that came with her "gaming rig" wasn't worth the silicon it was stamped on.
The GTX 750 Ti is the new 8800 GT (i.e., it's what developers will probably consider the "bottom end," and assume "Well, everyone out there has to at least have this as a minimum.")
Xmas at our place. Zombicide, Mice and Mystics, and roast leg of lamb
Holy shark, but that is a giant box of Nerds!

--Patrick

The GTX 750 Ti is the new 8800 GT (i.e., it's what developers will probably consider the "bottom end," and assume "Well, everyone out there has to at least have this as a minimum.")
Holy shark, but that is a giant box of Nerds!

--Patrick
That should be ok for quite a while, we're both several years behind on games, with the exception of a couple of early access games, and it'll probably take us until the 980 is the "bottom end" before we really need to upgrade further. Though I'm definitely getting myself a 750 Ti when I get a chance.

I'm definitely getting myself a 750 Ti when I get a chance.
Let's be honest...by the time you get a chance, I'd check around to see what else has come out. Even if it's only a month or two from now, the GPU people like to create those "in-between" models once the holiday crunch is done.

--Patrick

Got woken up by my daughter gleefully saying "Daddy, Santa came! Santa came!! Wake up wake up wake up!" (This was after insomnia kept me up til about 0300 or so). Son had a temperature of 102 overnight that was thankfully gone in the morning (teething related, possibly), so I got to see his wide-eyed expression when he saw the pile of toys that Santa had brought.

Daughter proved to be epicly awesome at opening presents. Wife was suitably confounded by my taping skills on her gift cards (She demanded gift cards instead of me trying and failing to get her sizes and tastes right... again), and enjoyed the plates I found for her that she wanted.

Me? I had the day off. That was all I needed - a day with family where I didn't have to go in to work later, like the last 3 years.

I also got a box o' beer, Steam and Amazon Gift cards, and Dark Souls for the X-Box; those were cool too.

Christmas was really good. Lots of gift cards for me & @AussieT . Loads of toys for the kids. An XBox One for all of us, plus a soundbar for the tv. Lots of cookies including three cookie/candy houses. A friend gave us a plate of 3 types of homemade fudge. Aussie has been off since Christmas Eve which has made this even nicer since most of the time he has to work over the holidays.

Looking forward to NYE!

GasBandit

Staff member
Welp, today was MY family's christmas gathering.

Wow.

It was kinda...

Well let's just say I was surprised at an aunt's unabashed racism, and amused by two other stubborn-as-cold-iron little old ladies butting heads about traditions. Do we hand out all the presents first, or do we hand them out one by one, opening each before handing out the next? This was more important to them than anything happening in Ukraine, Washington, or anywhere else that was discussed over dinner previously.

Forced once again to play the mindless and droning Phase 10 dice game, I need to find ways to amuse myself.

Two nights ago I tried to get the lowest score possible.

Last night played the entire game without uttering a word of English.

One more day till 2 weeks off.

I love this season, but that was a bloody exhausting month.

Oh, and if you're one of the folks that gets dragged to church once a year for Christmas Eve/only goes willingly once a year on Christmas Eve - the minister/pastor/clergy is judging you; and we gripe about you with other clergy colleagues and have nicknames for you.

We're loving (and really damn tired by the time the 24th rolls around) that way.

And for those celebrating (even if it's just celebrating a day or 2 off work), enjoy and be safe.

The church my wife went to openly did it during the ceremony itself.
:facepalm:
Yikes.
That's just pathetic.
Professional standards people! Keep the griping between other clergy/other confidential locales.
Yeesh.

May I ask if there was a denominational affiliation? There are... certain trends with regards to training and professionalism that seem to have some denominational ties.

fade

Staff member
It was just light teasing. No nasty names or anything. It was all in good fun and light-hearted.

It was just light teasing. No nasty names or anything. It was all in good fun and light-hearted.
Phew. That's OK then.I was genuinely worried. Cuz I've heard stories... *shudder* there are some truly horrendous clergy out there, who are abusive to put it mildly, and have no business what-so-ever in a leadership position anywhere, let alone with vulnerable populations. They do a lot of damage, both on personal and community levels.

I would be one of those... if I go at all, I only go on Christmas Eve, to show my wife's congregation that she DOES have a husband, but he just doesn't attend services.

GasBandit

Staff member
Phew. That's OK then.I was genuinely worried. Cuz I've heard stories... *shudder* there are some truly horrendous clergy out there, who are abusive to put it mildly, and have no business what-so-ever in a leadership position anywhere, let alone with vulnerable populations. They do a lot of damage, both on personal and community levels.
10 or so years back I remember an uncle of mine mentioning that the minister who performed a wedding he went to managed to work fire and brimstone into the wedding service, because he detected there were a lot of unbelievers in attendance.

10 or so years back I remember an uncle of mine mentioning that the minister who performed a wedding he went to managed to work fire and brimstone into the wedding service, because he detected there were a lot of unbelievers in attendance.
*snort*
I laugh only because I've seen worse. [And most often, the sermon is totally forgotten after the wedding is over, maybe remembered as a foot note, and kinda rightly so, The Word, while good to have (you hire clergy, you get a sermon), is not the point of the service.]

At a funeral.

For a teen.

Who committed suicide.

The rest of the clergy in town were beyond appalled.