[PC Game] Halforums House: Rimworld - the story thread

Damn, what is it about Frank that everyone dislikes?

Every update has a new Frank fight, it seems. Is he the secret colony fight club champion?

GasBandit

Staff member
He probably hits a lot of people with friendly fire.
And he doesn't get a lot of time to mend fences, being a night owl whose primary passion is shooting (so he spends as much time as he can out hunting by himself).

Belgians, obviously. And, of course, why wouldn't you? It's the best way to get decent beer shipped, and finishing the fermenting locally creates a richer taste, where you can have the combination of Homeworld hops and Pioneer wild yeasts, which will make for a great brew. Really, why do you think people have suddenly started throwing parties at any old time of the day? The beer's gotten better, man.

Soo, everybody else jsut gets regular old "replacement" parts, but Terrik is the one Jun decides to..."upgrade"? I call nepotism!
You say that, but it definitely rules out fingerbanging from now on...

I take nothing for granted, especially knowledge of extremely-short-lived Diet Pepsi jingles from the early 90s. :p
It's hard to tell sometimes, since Ray is one of the few who have played both sides of the aisle.
It was in Rookie of the Year for pants sake
That was the weird medical thing gives kid a golden arm movie, wasn't it?
...yeah, I haven't seen it.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
It's hard to tell sometimes, since Ray is one of the few who have played both sides of the aisle.

That was the weird medical thing gives kid a golden arm movie, wasn't it?
...yeah, I haven't seen it.

--Patrick
Yeah. 12 year old kid injures his shoulder and the "tendons heal a little too tight" giving him a preternatural 100+mph fastball. So naturally, the hapless cubs bring him on as pitcher.

Also it had the laughable premise of a Cubs v Mets national championship game. :rofl:

GasBandit

Staff member
HALFORUMS HOUSE: RIMWORLD - THE FINAL CHAPTER

Jugust 1, 5504 - DarkAudit gets a new artificial nose to replace the one the scythers cut off.

Jug 2 - The 60th cryptosleep casket is installed on the ship. Excited about the prospect of going home, Ashburner goes on a weed smoking binge.

Jug 3 - The psychic assault on the colony widens, and the wild boomalopes in the area suddenly turn hostile! they catch Hylian and Frank outside the wall, but the duo gun down the attacking beasts... and set of a giant conflagration that nearly bifurcates the external power grid. Thynne and Soupy get into a fight outside the kitchen. Soupy clearly does more damage, and both now dislike each other much more than before. One more boomalope explodes, and Klew and TommiR are caught in the explosion. Despite having burns over most of his body, Klew decides he'd rather get in a game of billiards before going to the infirmary, and TommiR's first priority is to change out of his singed clothing before seeking treatment.

Pictured: Bringing the BOOM

Pictured: Well, that's inconvenient

Pictured: IT'S OK, IT'S FINE, WE CAN HANDLE THIS

Pictured: Thynne v. Soupy

Pictured: Klew's priorities

Jug 4 - GasBandit gets a bionic eye to replace his damaged one. That means he's got a matched set now. Achievement Unlocked: Battou

Jug 6 - It's a foggy, stormy night, and a large group of mechanoids moves in from the north. While the mortars try to pound the slower moving caterpillars, the militia lines up at the killbox to deal with the faster scythers. The Scythers try to get out of the killbox laterally - that's a new move from them - but they're still shot down. Wasabi takes a charge lance hit to the leg, but will not lose the appendage. The mortars do enough damage to the caterpillars that their advance is slowed to.. well, a crawl. The militia is released to get fed and rest. When they finally creep into the killbox, the turrets alone are enough to deal with them. Cargo pods full of potatoes rain down upon us.

Pictured: EX-TER-MI-NATE

Pictured: The militia lines up for the defense as the Scythers arrive

Pictured: The Scythers tried something new, but it availed them naught.

Jug 8 - Naturally, now that the ship is nearing completion, we start to get cargo pods full of uranium. Dolly, Putt-Putt, Puppy, Uma, Bront, Romeo and Hoagie are anesthetized and carried into cryptosleep caskets.

Pictured: Free Uranium

Jug 9 - Nora, Savanna, Ichabod, Bits, Count, Elmer, Dynamite, Paddy, Tattletale, and Silence are anesthetized and loaded into ship cryptosleep caskets. This accounts for all the bonded animals. To commemorate the last night of the colonists on the planet, 15 cases of beer are purchased from a passing pleasure cruiser, and the policy on beer and pot is relaxed to allow for unlimited recreational use. As if on cue, 22 colonists come down with the flu. Fortunately, this will just mean they get loaded into the pods first, instead of getting to party. Sorry guys!

Pictured: Sucks to be sick on your last night on the planet.

Pictured: Some of the sickies climbing into their cryptosleep pods

Jug 10 - after a night of surprisingly restrained revelry (you boring nerds drank all of FOUR beers), All the remaining colonists line up at 8 am to board the ship.

Pictured: Lined up to board

Pictured: GasBandit hangs back as the others board

GasBandit is the last to board, and before he does, he stops to visit the sarcophagi of the 9 colonists that didn't make it. Tinwhistler, Snuffles, Eriol, Pez, Reverent1, CynicalKat, Zero, Ravenpoe, and Squidley will not be forgotten.

Pictured: GasBandit pays one more visit to the departed. "Sorry, Guys."

All the remaining animals are set free so that they can forage and live on their own. GasBandit takes one last look at the colony, shakes his fist at the unseen planetkiller in the sky, and boards the ship.

Pictured: One last look at the colony, our home for the last 5 years

Pictured: GasBandit boards the ship, ready for liftoff

The End:

You spoiler it but then call it THE FINAL CHAPTER?
Next time you might as well have it on planet Crystal Lake!

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
You spoiler it but then call it THE FINAL CHAPTER?
Next time you might as well have it on planet Crystal Lake!

--Patrick
Didn't I? Kinda?
We shall call our ship the "SS Minnow". Should get us back home in only three hours, what can go wrong?
Dibs on the redheaded movie star.
I LIVED!!

I'm so happy!

This was really fun, Gas. Bet you'll never do that again.
Actually, compared to HFA2, this was a piece of cake :D It felt startlingly brief in comparison, actually... making an episode of HFA2 took 1-2 weeks - 2 hours of gameplay, ~30 hours of video editing. This one was usually just 4 hours of gameplay and 30-45 minutes of copy and paste to make an update. Heck, it was even easier than HFA1.

I like that we left everybody else to die in that planet.
I briefly considered prolonging it by:
1) trying to make the ship big enough to take ALL the animals, not just the bonded ones
2) waiting around as long as possible for other family members among the pirates to "find" us so they could be captured, rehabilitated, and taken with us
or
3) raiding other factions to capture family members back to take with us.

But I decided against all that when the second flu epidemic hit and I thought "oh shit gotta get outta here, here it all comes again!" That, and I'm going out of town next week, and I thought it better to end victorious now than go on hiatus for ~10 days.

Awesome Gas! When the next flight?
The locals, and the family members we left behind, better hope it's within the next 7 years :p Because when that planetkiller gets here, it's gonna blast right through like a rifle bullet into a water balloon, so I've heard from other sources. It doesn't just end all life on the planet, it converts it to a new asteroid belt 0_o

I would also like to thank our host, GasBandit, for taking the time and effort to make this thing happen. Cheers!

As to my other fellow colonists on the planet, thank you for participating in this adventure and making our common project come through. You all deserve to live your lives in peace on the glitterworlds. I know my pawn was not the smartest, the most skillful, nor the most liked on this playthrough, but I am willing to accept that. I most certainy am not planning to kill each and every one of you in your sleep in the most gruesome ways that I can devise, and eating your hearts in front of your loved ones. After all, I didn't pick the 'jealous' trait, so please do sleep well in your comfy beds. There is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Ooc: And just in case someone didn't get it, the above is meant as a joke /ooc

GasBandit

Staff member
I have NO IDEA how you managed so many pawns, @GasBandit. Especially when you started getting MORE.
Well, I've had colonies get up into the 20s before, but over 50 right from the start was definitely a challenge. Unfortunately it meant that I couldn't give each individual pawn as much attention as I would have liked, and would have during an ordinary game. For example, apparently at some point @Krisken formed a bond with a tamed boomalope (named Tattletale) and I didn't even notice, so he went for weeks or maybe months getting a -5 mood penalty for not being assigned as that animal's master. Only the squeakiest of wheels ever got any grease, and many colonists were unhappy about one thing or another - usually that nobody had cleaned up dirt and/or blood from their room, or that they were wearing the wrong temperature clothes, etc.[DOUBLEPOST=1502817917,1502817894][/DOUBLEPOST]
Colony Manager. ;) And not really micromanaging unless combat.
And that. Without Colony Manager, this would have not been possible. It automated designating animals for hunting, taming, marking excess livestock for slaughter, harvesting trees for lumber according to inventory levels, foraging, and also had a helpful power management module. All according to policies I designate.

Last edited: