Halforums House 4 - Story/Update thread

But men's fashion hasn't shifted quite as dramatically post-WWII. A plain t-shirt and basic jeans and you wouldn't look out of place in any decade for the past 60+ years.

Depends on your age and style of wearing.
Women's clothing has definitely had more changing styles and fashions than men, but:
a) someone who knows something about fashion can most definitely tell what t-shirt is from what decade and
b) there's still significant changes. Wide flaring, tight skinny, relaxed, boot cut, buttons or zipper, faded or not, crushed or not, more or less pockets, baggy, slightly-too-short to slightly-too-long, you name it. Sure, a Dave can get away with any random jeans from any random supermarket and not look too much out of place - but the same can be said for a woman wearing a medium-length black skirt and a regular shirt. Fashion may be higher/lower waist, with holes, different colors, bright or pastel, etc etc - but "standard attire" still works in most cases.

I would say it's less so for women. The "medium length" can vary wildly from decade to decade, even if you're trying to find "classic cuts". I'm not saying higher fashion doesn't change, like in your example "b", I'm saying everyday basics don't change as dramatically in men's fashion as they do in women's.

But men's fashion hasn't shifted quite as dramatically post-WWII. A plain t-shirt and basic jeans and you wouldn't look out of place in any decade for the past 60+ years.
Bell-bottoms were the only pants for a good portion of the 70's. I assume there were some straight-cut jeans out there. I don't know. If only we knew someone old enough to tell us about that rare ould time. :whistling:

Bell-bottoms were the only pants for a good portion of the 70's. I assume there were some straight-cut jeans out there. I don't know. If only we knew someone old enough to tell us about that rare ould time. :whistling:
Put work boots on Steve McQueen and that’s how my Dad dressed his whole life, even in the 70s. No bell bottoms ever.
My sisters and female cousins wore bell bottoms in the 70s, but not my male cousins. They wore regular jeans. I was in elementary school and didn’t wear bell bottoms either—I had straight leg corduroys. (*vwip vwip vwip*)
So, no, bell bottoms were not the only pants in the 70s.

Woo! I’m in @Celt Z ’s harem!
Yeah you are! :unibrow:

But we know the OTP is CeltZ/Coffee.
Mr. Z understands this. It is why we're still married.

I was not alive yet, but family photos and even movie clips from the time have shown me that straight legged jeans/pants for men were still pretty common. Except for The Brady Bunch, I guess.

Is that Ian Ziering in the middle? I don't recognize him at all.
That's Jamie....something. (digging into my 90's memory for a moment). He was on 90210 for a little while, then "starred" in a spin-off called..something vaguely urban. The opening theme song, "How Do You Talk to An Angel", was a big but sappy hit on the radio.

EDIT: (uses internet) Jamie Walters, The Heights

That's Jamie....something. (digging into my 90's memory for a moment). He was on 90210 for a little while, then "starred" in a spin-off called..something vaguely urban. The opening theme song, "How Do You Talk to An Angel", was a big but sappy hit on the radio.
Walters & "The Heights"...
you gave me enough for my google-fu to work. I've never seen any of those shows.

Walters & "The Heights"...
you gave me enough for my google-fu to work. I've never seen any of those shows.
Yeah, I looked it up right before you posted. I was hoping I could pull that up from memory. Nope, too old.:(
(And I never watched The Heights.)

You're lucky. By that time in the 90s, we no longer shared a house with my grandparents, so that meant we didn't have cable TV anymore and I was trapped by the six basic free channels. Fox spent so much time advertising that damn show every commercial break, they would play the full music video of that awful song. And then it found its way to the radio. And the worst part is that I still have those god-awful refrain lyrics tattooed in my brain:
How Do You Talk to an angel / how do you hold her close to where you are/ How Do You Talk to an angel/ it's like trying to catch a falling star :puke:

IIRC, the show only lasted a season, if that.

GasBandit

Staff member
You're lucky. By that time in the 90s, we no longer shared a house with my grandparents, so that meant we didn't have cable TV anymore and I was trapped by the six basic free channels. Fox spent so much time advertising that damn show every commercial break, they would play the full music video of that awful song. And then it found its way to the radio. And the worst part is that I still have those god-awful refrain lyrics tattooed in my brain:
How Do You Talk to an angel / how do you hold her close to where you are/ How Do You Talk to an angel/ it's like trying to catch a falling star :puke:

I don't remember the show but I remember the radio wouldn't stop playing that thrice-damned song. It was such a BAD song, with poor lyrics, lazy composition, and an untalented vocalist. "Hahh duya TAWK... toowan aynjehhh..."

It was cancelled after 12 episodes

I was just reading about it on Wikipedia to see if it would ring any bells. The guy looks vaguely familiar, but I stopped regularly watching BH 90210 before he showed up in season 5.

GasBandit

Staff member
Waaaaaaaaaaaaiiit... now I'm remembering the commercials. I must have had one hell of a memory block dropped on top of that... uuuughhh yes... the dude in the show said he wrote it for the girl he liked and it was so nnbllarrghhh....

I would say it's less so for women. The "medium length" can vary wildly from decade to decade, even if you're trying to find "classic cuts". I'm not saying higher fashion doesn't change, like in your example "b", I'm saying everyday basics don't change as dramatically in men's fashion as they do in women's.
They don't, and I said so right in my second line :p But "basic jeans" really has changed. I can tell from a picture of a guy (not a model) if it's 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s or 00s. It really depends on what group you're looking at - I also always get the impression American men just don't change their look as much as European men do. The Rugged Outdoorsman in Texas is more concerned with pants you can work in than looking fashionable like an artist in Paris.
80s-style straight-down jeans pants look horrible now. Pants in the 90s were ground-length-if-you-were-wearing-a-small-heel, now they're supposed to definitely show your socks. 00s jeans were far lower-waisted than modern day pants.

But, again, re-iterating, yes woman's fashions and styles have changed more. I'm just saying menswear has changed too, and just buying the same home depot cargo pants is just as much wrong for men as it is for women - men just get away with it better because we're judged on our looks less.

Wait, wait, wait. Hold it.

Your Home Depots sell cargo pants?! I want to hear about this! :popcorn:
I decided against a LMGTFY link :p

Yes, they sell pants. No-frill, straight, flat-ass, non-flattering, great-to-get-spills-on-and-rips-in, things to cover your legs with. And I certainly *do* know men who always wear that type of trouser, day after day ,year after year, because they're working, or messing around, or whatever, and just never put on something actually good looking. A guy can sort of get away with it, if he doesn't mind looking like the type of guy who likes to answer DIY quiestions. A woman more quickly gets a bad name for "not taking care of their looks".

So how do you feel about, say, Hawaiian shirts?

--Patrick
Those are awesome, and only the truly great can wear them all day and still manage a good forum. I mean, radio. I mean, overall job.

Yes, they sell pants.
TIL Home Depot sells pants. Mind. Blown.

I mean, I don't WANT pants from Home Depot, but they mere idea that you can get clothes. From Home Depot.

I'm sure you said something very insightful after this, but I'm stuck on the first part.

I bought a couple pairs of jeans at TSC, once.
They lasted something like 3 years, and I caught so many people checking out my butt.

--Patrick