Halforums House 4 - Story/Update thread

GasBandit

Staff member
This is the place, folks - this is where I will post the updates to the ongoing story of Halforums House 4.

The poll seems to indicate that more people would rather get screenshot-based updates so that they will be more frequent, so I'll be proceeding in that manner.

The first update should be ready within the next day or two (I've got other stuff going on this weekend so I can't work on it as much as I'd like right out of the gate :p ), but to tide you over, here's the situation as it goes thus far -

We have 35 humans and 5 large pets, which makes 40 - which divides neatly into five 8-person households (8 being the maximum per household). I've sorted people semi-randomly into these 5 households, with consideration taken for desired marital/sibling/pet relationships.

The Halforums neighborhood is in the southwest corner of Newcrest, a tidy suburb:

neighborhood.jpg

Halforums Household 1: Cheesy, Wasabi, Gryfter, Jun, Charon, Terrik, General Specific, and Terrik's dog, Luca.
Household 1 - Cheesy Wasabi Gryfter Jun Charon Terrik Genspec Luca.jpg

House 1 is a ranch-style single story 8-bed 4-bath with a pool, hot tub, basketball hoop, sauna, living area with a huge TV and communal activities, ornate dining room with piano and aquarium, and also a LAN center computer room for all you nerds to get your geekboxing done. While it's not the smallest lot in the neighborhood, its single-story layout means things get a bit cozy. This however also means it's the easiest to keep track of everyone on, and the camera won't miss much...

Household 2: Adam, Emrys, MikeRC, Squidleybits, HCGLNS, PatrThom, Dirona, and Squidley's cat, Pudding.
Household 2 - Adam Emrys MikeRC Squidley HCGLNS Patrthom Dirona and Pudding.jpg

House 2 is a 3-story 8-bed 6-bath affair, with bedrooms being upstairs (click to enlarge the animated overview). The bedrooms having been moved upstairs means the common areas can be a teensy bit more spacious and a lot more room outside for other activities - this lot boasts a roller skating rink in addition to a full half-court for basketball, a larger pool, and all the amenities lot 1 has.

Household 3: Kags, Gruebeard, MindDetective, Cog, Drawn Inward, Vero, Bubble181, and Gruebeard's cat, Polly (don't mind that Cog is holding him)
Household 3 fixed - Kags Grue Mind Cog Drawn Vero Bubble181 and Polly.jpg

House 3 is also 3 stories, but this is by necessity as house 3 is on the smallest lot in the neighborhood. As such, things get a bit cozy in this 8-bed 5-bath, and everybody will be rubbing elbows with everybody else at all times... sure to spark some interesting interactions, one way or another.

Household 4: Jwhouk, Tinwhistler, Celt Z, Snuffleupagus, Dei, DarkAudit, GasBandit and Snuffles' dog, Daisy.
Household 4 - Jwhouk Tinwhistler CeltZ Snuffleupagus Dei DarkAudit Gasbandit and Daisy.jpg

Dei helped out by designing house 4. It's a spacious 2-story 8-bed 5-bath layout with a bowling alley in the basement, and bar-style dining. There's also a dedicated pet play area.

Household 5: Klew, Sara_2814, Null, Sparhawk, Zappit, Bhamv3, TigerTsang, and Sparhawk's dog Silk.
Household 5 fixed - Klew Sara Null Bhamv3 Zappit Sparhawk TigerTsang and Silk.jpg

House 5 (also created by Dei) is what could easily be referred to as palatial - It's two enormous stories with an open-plan common area and a movie theater in the basement. 8 bed, 8 bath (everyone gets their own private bathroom off their bedroom). It also has a roller rink and an observatory.

For no particular reason, we will be starting in the Fall.
1 - starting in the fall.jpg

First update should be coming no later than monday, but I'd be surprised if it was any sooner than late tonight.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I enjoy how you, me, and Snuffles are in the same house, but Terrik is not.
Art imitating life, eh?

Really it was because, to ensure an even distribution of the sexes across the various households. There were 11 women to split between 5 houses, and with Dirona, Emrys, and Squidley being sisters, that took care of which house got the extra lady. With you and Celt Z also being sisters.. it meant that Jun (and therefor her husband, Terrik) were in another house.

(When I was rolling up the households I started by distributing the related sims and then filled with the singletons.)

House 5 also has... 6 potential woohoo spots. (technically more because of multiple beds, closets, and bushes)

GasBandit

Staff member
And Keltsy. Alllll the redheads. What a coincidence.

—Patrick
Given that "all" (read: the only two) redheads are related, then yes, anyone in a household with one would of course then by definition be in a household with "all" of them.

I wasn't gonna say anything...
I assure you I was fair and impartial with my distribution :p we all had the same 1 in 5 chance to end up wherever we did.

Besides, if my test run was anything to go by, I get the feeling Tinwhistler is going to aggressively sweep me off my feet before I have a chance to do anything. X_x

Ok, question from someone who's never played The Sims: do we ever interact with people with people in other households because we're in the same neighborhood, or are your only interactions with people in your own household?

Ok, question from someone who's never played The Sims: do we ever interact with people with people in other households because we're in the same neighborhood, or are your only interactions with people in your own household?
People will jog and walk by, and you can interact with them. With the Get to Work pack, you can interact with them on the job, too. Plus you can see them out and about on dates, festivals, etc.

Once you meet someone, there's a chance they'll ring you up on the cell phone and ask to come over.

GasBandit

Staff member
Also, once you meet them, if you get along, you can give them a house key, and they will just come on over from time to time.

Also you can call people to come over and hang out, or just go over to their house and knock on the door whenever.

Ah, thanks. I wasn't sure how important our separate houses were. I wondered if it was going to be like Big Brother*, where all you can know are the people in the same house.

(*I've never watched the show, but from the commercials I assume that's how BB works.)

There are also more social options for when you go to work. And there's a Welcome Wagon of townies who will show up not long after you move into the neighborhood.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ah, thanks. I wasn't sure how important our separate houses were. I wondered if it was going to be like Big Brother*, where all you can know are the people in the same house.

(*I've never watched the show, but from the commercials I assume that's how BB works.)
I remember sims one Being that way, but my testing has shown it's a lot less the case now. I don't think we'll have any barriers to cross-pollination, so to speak.

I can, in fact, just tell one entire household to go visit another at any time, then once the relationships are established keys can be exchanged.

GasBandit

Staff member
Alright, let's see how this goes. Spoilered for length. You might need to click the ones that are animated gifs to get them to play. Because Imgur.

Sunday, 1st of Fall, year 1 - Household 1
Household 1 - Cheesy Wasabi Gryfter Jun Charon Terrik Genspec Luca.jpg

The first thing that happens right off the bat, is half the household goes straight for the computers, to geek out and be extra anti-social :p
03-16-19_11-21-37 PM.png

Gryfter, on the other hand, can't wait to try out the pool. Luca explores the boundaries of his new home.
03-16-19_11-23-10 PM.png

Terrik has sort of been lingering outside, so Jun goes and gets his attention.
03-16-19_11-23-24 PM.png

And Wasabi has her brother Charon spot her, as she is suddenly inspired to do sit ups in the living room.
03-16-19_11-24-00 PM.png

Then they break in the video game console on the 60 inch TV.
03-16-19_11-24-35 PM.png

This lasts until Terrik and Jun take the next love seat over, and start getting all flirty. How's a body supposed to concentrate on gaming when there's kissyfacing going on not 2 feet away?
03-16-19_11-24-57 PM.png

Gryfter, refreshed from his dip, gives the Karaoke machine a spin - to... mixed reviews.

Not long after that, a small group of the neighbors show up to welcome them to the neighborhood - Sara, Dirona, Squidley, and HCGLNS. Dirona brings fruitcake. She claims it is a family heirloom.
03-16-19_11-27-33 PM.png

Jun decides to make sure there's enough food to go around by also whipping up some fruit salad.
03-16-19_11-29-13 PM.png

Pictured: a good time being had by all.
03-16-19_11-31-30 PM.png

03-16-19_11-31-57 PM.png

The dance floor in the kitchen is a popular attraction.

HCGLNS and Luca hit it off pretty well.
03-16-19_11-34-28 PM.png

The welcoming committee says farewell, but the party keeps on going in the kitchen.
03-16-19_11-39-21 PM.png

Terrik and Cheesy bond over their love of food.
03-16-19_11-40-34 PM.png

Terrik lets Luca out to potty. Luca decides to take 3 steps and make his deposit EXACTLY in front of the back door. Terrik sighs and pulls a mop out of his.. pocket..? Charon slinks off to have a nap.
03-16-19_11-43-39 PM.png

Oh, but Luca's not done leaving surprises.
03-16-19_11-43-52 PM.png

After the day's excitement, the various residents retire to various pursuits. Jun picks up a violin, Terrik watches TV, Gryfter goes off to game some more.
03-16-19_11-44-57 PM.png

Wasabi takes the edge off with a steam in the sauna.

One by one people start heading off to bed. Gryfter, instead, only takes a "nap," in an odd place - the ottoman in General Specific's room. Luca joins him.
03-16-19_11-48-18 PM.png

Charon had a nap earlier, so he's still awake late. He watches some TV...
03-16-19_11-49-46 PM.png

And plays with the dog.
03-16-19_11-50-33 PM.png

Gryfter wakes up from his nap, and the two of them have another go at Dirona's fruitcake.
03-16-19_11-51-58 PM.png

It's 3:30 AM by the time they decide to head to bed.
03-16-19_11-54-55 PM.png

Charon and Gryfter's heads have barely hit the pillow, when Terrik wakes up looking for a late night snack.
03-16-19_11-55-23 PM.png

Genspec also rises early, and the two of them have breakfast, and get ready to get the day started.
03-16-19_11-56-15 PM.png

Well, that day went by FAST and updates of this caliber are incredibly easy. If this is how things are going to progress, you guys can probably count on a new update post almost every day.

Holidays are gonna SUCK with this big of a crowd. Some interactions you have to do individually, so being flirted AT on Love Day, for example, won't count for you own total. And if you don't get enough done, you get a Sad debuff.

Holidays are gonna SUCK with this big of a crowd. Some interactions you have to do individually, so being flirted AT on Love Day, for example, won't count for you own total. And if you don't get enough done, you get a Sad debuff.
I recommend you delete every holiday in the calendar now tbh.

GasBandit

Staff member
The ones that happened on my test run actually went fairly well, though we might give the first one a miss because it'll be on household 5's first day, so nobody will know how to cook yet.

The ones that happened on my test run actually went fairly well, though we might give the first one a miss because it'll be on household 5's first day, so nobody will know how to cook yet.
Since you are rotating households, the households you aren't playing on the holiday will end up with the sad moodlet the next day more than likely.

GasBandit

Staff member
Since you are rotating households, the households you aren't playing on the holiday will end up with the sad moodlet the next day more than likely.
Alternatively, I can also *edit* the holidays to all only have one tradition (spread the spirit) so that simple interaction is enough for everybody to consider it a successful holiday.

GasBandit

Staff member
Monday, 2nd of Fall, Year 1 - Household 2

Household 2 - Adam Emrys MikeRC Squidley HCGLNS Patrthom Dirona and Pudding.jpg

Squidley starts the day off by attempting to make breakfast for everyone. She gets a little overzealous on scrambling the eggs, but it all works out ok.
03-17-19_11-17-42 AM.png

Patrthom spends most of the morning in his room, surfing the web.
03-17-19_11-18-02 AM.png

Dirona can't wait a single moment to try out the pool - even if it IS raining.
03-17-19_11-18-31 AM.png

Pudding is baad.
03-17-19_11-19-20 AM.png

Emrys seems to like the basketball court, though she gets a little out of bounds.
03-17-19_11-20-22 AM.png

Breakfast at Halforums Household 2.

Squidley and HCGLNS play some video games together. It attracts the attention of Adam and MikeRC, who watch.
03-17-19_11-23-18 AM.png

Squidley knows what HCGLNS likes.
03-17-19_11-24-10 AM.png

Terrik, Bubble, Sara, and CeltZ show up to welcome Household 2 to the neighborhood. To return the favor, Terrik has brought fruitcake. Dirona is apparently upfront about her predilections.
03-17-19_11-26-33 AM.png

Much like the first housewarming party, the dance floor is the place to be.

Bubble and Sara get to know one another, while Pudding inspects the fruitcake.
03-17-19_11-28-56 AM.png

PUDDING IS BAAAD
03-17-19_11-29-34 AM.png

Uh oh. Seems like HCGLNS has a little bit of a wandering eye, and flirted with somebody besides Squidley. She's absolutely wroth.
03-17-19_11-32-44 AM.png

Bubble and HCGLNS are getting along well.
03-17-19_11-34-06 AM.png

4 o'clock rolls around, and the welcome wagon heads home.
03-17-19_11-34-24 AM.png

HCGLNS brews some chamomile. Maybe he's picked up on his wife's mood.
03-17-19_11-37-35 AM.png

Dirona decides to learn to play guitar.
03-17-19_11-38-57 AM.png

The fruitcake is not sitting well with Patrthom.
03-17-19_11-40-28 AM.png

He tries playing with Emrys' ferret. It bites him on the nose. Pat decides he does not like ferrets.
03-17-19_11-40-50 AM.png

Mike and Squidley bond over their shared interest in cats.
03-17-19_11-41-57 AM.png

Emrys rewards her minion with a treat.
03-17-19_11-42-51 AM.png

This puts her in such a good mood she absolutely has to cut a rug. Pat, Squidley, and Dirona head off to bed.
03-17-19_11-45-22 AM.png

Mike and HCGLNS agree that insects are bad.
03-17-19_11-45-33 AM.png

Then Mike watches a movie with Emrys.
03-17-19_11-47-40 AM.png

Pudding begins demanding attention, and HCGLNS obliges.

Emrys cooks up some mac and cheese, then decides she's too tired to eat it, and heads off to bed.
03-17-19_11-49-34 AM.png

HCGLNS puts the kraft dinner away, and instead is inspired to cook up a bunch of grilled cheese... at 1:30 in the morning. Try to keep it in the pan, Scruffy.
03-17-19_11-50-38 AM.png

Patrthom wakes up and comes down, eating the mac and cheese Emrys made.
03-17-19_11-55-38 AM.png

HCGLNS gets tired after eating, finally, but wanders into the wrong bedroom. He doesn't care, the bed's empty, so he climbs in.
03-17-19_11-56-43 AM.png

Dirona wakes up and helps herself to some grilled cheese....
03-17-19_11-56-56 AM.png

...and feline companionship.
03-17-19_11-57-42 AM.png

Uh... is this a thing ferrets do often? Well, the little guy is still in there and playing around, so I guess he's ok...?
03-17-19_11-58-27 AM.png

Squidley also comes down for breakfast, in a better mood after a good night's sleep.
03-17-19_11-59-01 AM.png

Why is Celt Z wearing an apron? I came here to escape reality, dammit! :D

Also, spontaneously combusting ferrets. Did Tin feed it when Emrys wasn't looking?

GasBandit

Staff member
Why is Celt Z wearing an apron? I came here to escape reality, dammit! :D

Also, spontaneously combusting ferrets. Did Tin feed it when Emrys wasn't looking?
It seems certain activities have their own outfits associated with them. For example, the jumpsuit that Emrys puts on to play basketball is not her actual "athletic" outfit. So, I guess you got elected to be apron-bearer of the welcome wagon this time.

GasBandit

Staff member
My other plans for the day seem to have fallen through, so here's another update.

Tuesday, 3rd of Fall, Year 1 - Household 3

Household 3 fixed - Kags Grue Mind Cog Drawn Vero Bubble181 and Polly.jpg

It's 5 am, and everybody's already awake for some reason. It's pretty chilly this morning, so everyone's in their winter clothes. Most are doing their own thing on computers, but a few are watching TV, and Kags is messing around with the chess table.
03-17-19_4-59-10 PM.png

Vero and Cog have no problems making PDAs.
03-17-19_5-00-40 PM.png

Grue fills the automatic feeder and plays with Polly.
03-17-19_5-01-59 PM.png

Everybody loafs around watching TV and chatting. Each generally grabs only something quick to eat for themselves. For example, Vero zaps herself some oatmeal, while Kags decides potato chips are for breakfast, too.
03-17-19_5-02-34 PM.png

Mind Detective makes good use of the home gym.

Around 10:30, a welcome wagon consisting of Jwhouk, Darkaudit, Dirona, and Sparhawk show up to deliver the obligatory fruitcake. Boy, Dirona sure likes to do this sort of thing.
03-17-19_5-08-17 PM.png

Vero makes a fruit salad so there's enough food to go around.
03-17-19_5-09-49 PM.png

It goes over pretty well.
03-17-19_5-10-48 PM.png

03-17-19_5-11-07 PM.png

Much as with the other parties, dancing seems to be the social interaction du jour.

DA and Jwhouk get into an involved discussion.
03-17-19_5-14-38 PM.png

Grue takes up guitar. Polly doesn't approve.

Despite the chill in the air, Vero decides to do a couple laps in the pool.

Around 3, things wrap up and the neighbors head home.
03-17-19_5-16-15 PM.png

Mind Detective decides a nap is in order. So does Polly.
03-17-19_5-16-50 PM.png

That sounds like a good idea to Bubble.
03-17-19_5-17-03 PM.png

...and Cog, though he chooses a much noisier spot for his nap.
03-17-19_5-17-29 PM.png

Rather than nap, Vero turns to coffee to perk herself up.
03-17-19_5-18-40 PM.png

MD wakes up from his nap and has another go at the home gym. He overdoes it a little. Everybody else watches TV or hangs around.
03-17-19_5-22-26 PM.png

Kags and Grue have a chat a little bit removed from all the bustle.

Mind and Drawn are Bros.

Mind Detective strained himself a bit working out, so he takes a bubble bath to relax.
03-17-19_5-25-12 PM.png

Kags decides to call it an early night.
03-17-19_5-25-33 PM.png

Yarr, ye be a good kitty.

One by one, the others all drift upstairs to go to bed. The last one awake is Cog, whose nap gave him the energy to work on his logic skills.
03-17-19_5-30-32 PM.png

Before bed, he goes for a snack. The fruitcake does not do him any favors.
03-17-19_5-32-15 PM.png

Cog heads up to bed just as Kags wakes up super early.. and also samples to cursed loaf.
03-17-19_5-34-13 PM.png

D.Ron wisely forgoes the fruitcake for a microwaved helping of bachelor chow.
03-17-19_5-35-46 PM.png

Just another morning for the sibs.

As we leave Household 3, we happen to spy Null outside, having a loud argument with a local townie named Mila Munch. Another townie, Katrina Caliente (rowr rowr) plays in a pile of leaves on the property.
03-17-19_5-39-54 PM.png