Halforums House 4 Character Creation Thread

Should HH4 updates be Video (7-14 day turnaround) or Screenshot (1-3 day turnaround) format?

• Video! I'm willing to wait for more engaging content.

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Screenshots are fine, I want to see how things progress with as little delay as possible.

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tell you what, I'll let you change the name as long as it is recognizably derived from Patrthom, subject to my final approval.
You encourage me to choose every other aspect of my Sim, but then forget to include “Choose a name, here are the rules” in the requirement docs? And then, when I suggest a perfectly cromulent name, you’re like, “Ok so suddenly there are rules about the names now...rules which I may decide to change or break if and when I feel like it?”
Look, if you don’t want to change the name for some reason known only to you, even if that reason is, “It’s my game and I’ll play it however I like!” then just say so right up front rather than being all “Dr. No” about it and treating me like one of your subordinates. Because I’m not.

That said, now that your goalposts appear to have stopped moving, I will submit “PT Barthom” for consideration, and if you do not find that acceptable, then the original name can stand, because I want to watch Sims get up to shenanigans more than I want to play some sort of “finally win Gas’ approval” game.

—Patrick

You encourage me to choose every other aspect of my Sim, but then forget to include “Choose a name, here are the rules” in the requirement docs? And then, when I suggest a perfectly cromulent name, you’re like, “Ok so suddenly there are rules about the names now...rules which I may decide to change or break if and when I feel like it?”
Look, if you don’t want to change the name for some reason known only to you, even if that reason is, “It’s my game and I’ll play it however I like!” then just say so right up front rather than being all “Dr. No” about it and treating me like one of your subordinates. Because I’m not.

That said, now that your goalposts appear to have stopped moving, I will submit “PT Barthom” for consideration, and if you do not find that acceptable, then the original name can stand, because I want to watch Sims get up to shenanigans more than I want to play some sort of “finally win Gas’ approval” game.

—Patrick
I think you're being kind of silly with this rant, considering it's Halforums House, and not random stranger house.

GasBandit

Staff member

—Patrick
I'm sorry I subjected you to such a massive injustice in my sims playthrough, you dingus. PT Barthom is fine.

GasBandit

Staff member

At any rate, I didn't specify "name" as one of the things that needed to be provided, because I thought it was patently obvious that the sims were supposed to be named after the user in question. Some people just supplied names anyway because they're just used to, I guess. I'd really rather just have them be the straight up username, but as sims require a first and last name of one word each, I had to be a tiny bit creative on some of them.

Last edited:
It does make it easier to remember who's Sim is who's during the recaps. I would occasionally have to look at the character design list during HFA2 when someone used a different name.

/veto

Everybody's gonna be named recognizably similar to their username. Putting this nonsense to bed :p
Oooh, look at me! I'm Gasbandit! King of this forum game that I created and am going to pour a bunch of personal time into for the entertainment of everyone!

Wow, man, egocentric much? ;):p

You have doomweasels and you're going to accept it and like it. Now hush and let my consort, I mean GasBandit, do his thing.

OK, lemme see what I got here.

Joe Willy (aka "The Houkster")
  • Gender – Male. Stands up to pee. Prefers women.
  • Age – Elder. Gotta play to type. Right, @Dave ?
  • Walk style – Regular.
  • Voice depth – 7.
  • Relationship – If I can get it: Celtz's my cousin. Dave's my Uncle.
  • Aspiration – Not sure between Nerd Brain or Archaeology Scholar.
  • Traits – Geek, Good, Loner
  • Physical appearance – Sorry, I'm crappy when it comes to using creation software. So: short, a bit tubby, round head, receded hairline, glasses, brown hair, mustache but no beard, mustache is gray.
  • Everyday – Jeans and a t-shirt with running shoes (aka Nikes/New Balances). Usually wears baseball cap to hide that receding hairline.
  • Formal – Sportcoat, button-down white shirt with necktie, dress pants, black leather dress shoes
  • Athletic – Football and/or baseball jersey with ballcap, shorts.
  • Sleep – scrub top with shorts… or nekkie. ;)
  • Party – kinda go with everyday stuff here.
  • Swimwear – American Flag swim trunks (seriously, I have 'em), sunglasses, flip-flops
  • Hot weather – T-shirt and shorts with everyday outfit
  • Cold weather – What is this "cold" of which you speak? (insert laughter.gif) Full-facemask wool hat, scarf (brown-white alternating), heavy blue parka, longjohns under jeans, hiking boots, white/black gloves.

GasBandit

Staff member
Relationship – If I can get it: Celtz's my cousin. Dave's my Uncle.
The only relationship options it gives me directly are spouse, parent/child, and sibling. To be someone's cousin or nephew, we'd actually have to flesh out the whole tree making somebody your parent, somebody their parent, and make those parents siblings. Unfortunately if you start as an elder, it won't let me make somebody your parent because it requires an age group difference between parent and child, and I can't make a sim older than elder.

Aspiration – Not sure between Nerd Brain or Archaeology Scholar.
Well I'm gonna need a decision :p

Age – Elder. Gotta play to type. Right, @Dave ?
Be advised that if you choose to start as an elder, it's very likely your sim will pass away within 28 days of the game's start. I mean, in-game, a season is 7 days, so that's like a game-year, and the normal age progression treats a year as an entire cycle of a stage of life (a child becomes a teen after a year, a teen becomes a young adult after a year, and so on).