[Other] Halforums Heist

"Absolutely Volo, the quicker the better. This looks like a wonderful change of pace compared to our previous venture. Lead the way. Perhaps the rest of you can acquaint yourselves with our new neighbourhood. And on my way back I shall enquire about some builders. None of you are carpenters are you?" Then walks out the door side hugging Volo.

I assume there is a neighbourhood info dump if we are supposed to live here.

So this building sucks. 5 doors for the first floor, but we have to outside to go upstairs? Nope gonna renovate that! Hence the builders. And ther does not appear to be a toilet on the ground floor? Do pubs not have toilets in Waterdeep.

So I will go sign the paperwork and see if I can grab the loot on the way back.

Are we level 2 yet?

Have any of you read The Kingkiller Chronicles? I would like to turn this into our version of The Eolian.

Complete with our own pipes. Since we are one third boards:)

Last edited:
I assume there is a neighbourhood info dump if we are supposed to live here.

So this building sucks. 5 doors for the first floor, but we have to outside to go upstairs? Nope gonna renovate that! Hence the builders. And ther does not appear to be a toilet on the ground floor? Do pubs not have toilets in Waterdeep.

So I will go sign the paperwork and see if I can grab the loot on the way back.

Are we level 2 yet?
  1. Yes, coming shortly.
  2. Outhouse in the back alley.
  3. Need everyone to sign. Easy to do that in my next post. Just tell me if you do NOT sign the deed.
  4. Loot run will be a little mini mission at level 2.
  5. Once the paperwork is signed!

OOC: I can sign for everyone. Just my name and 5 X's. But now I'm getting an infernal contract vibe.....either way as our most prominent writer I am gonna Hancock this thing.

OOC: I can sign for everyone. Just my name and 5 X's. But now I'm getting an infernal contract vibe.....either way as our most prominent writer I am gonna Hancock this thing.
Mainly I detected some hesitance about it from Charity so I wanted to give her a chance to have a say about it.

Charity

Charity once again does not sign the deed but will be happy to let somebody sign for her part, if necessary. At the mention of carpenters, however, she gives a big smile. "Well, I'm not an expert, but I know my way about some carpentry, yes! But this is a real fixer-upper, aint it. Most of I've done is fix up carts and the like. Oh, and I made a shed, once, with the neighbors, 'coz theirs got blown down in a storm. I'd be happy to help out, though!"

Charity is proficient with Carpenter's tools!

Martin smiles at Charity. "I have a minor mending spell I can use as well. I'm sure much of the furniture can be put in working order and will just need a good cleaning"

The party is, after a small 25 gp processing fee, paid for by Volo at Renaer's insistence, now the proud owner of Trollskull Manor. I will introduce you to the neighborhood shortly, but first, welcome to level 2!

Since Erythro is not added to the campaign on dndbeyond.com, I'll need an updated PDF of him. The rest can just updated their characters to level 2 on dndbeyond.com. You may roll for HP and either take that or the average (so, average or higher).

I will update tonight! I am going Divination and taking the average 4 points for HP.

New feature Portent Rolls! Every long rest I roll 2d20 and can use the results for anything I want. So for this format of play by post if I choose to use a roll for some one else it may result in some do overs. IE I am asleep at home when Charity attacks and misses. I wake up and go, naw that miss was actually a hit and spend one of my dice.

Rolls for today: 13, 15

I will update tonight! I am going Divination and taking the average 4 points for HP.

New feature Portent Rolls! Every long rest I roll 2d20 and can use the results for anything I want. So for this format of play by post if I choose to use a roll for some one else it may result in some do overs. IE I am asleep at home when Charity attacks and misses. I wake up and go, naw that miss was actually a hit and spend one of my dice.

Rolls for today: 13, 15
Not a problem.

Dropped gear typically nets nothing. Maybe keep them around for decorations or underlings?

Last edited:
Chapter 2: Trollskull Alley

The new base for this odd collective of heroes, Trollskull Manor, is located in an alley called Trollskull Alley.

T1: Trollskull Manor is located at the North entrance to Trollskull Alley. The party will be able to fully explore it as they see fit in their next posts.

T2: The Bent Nail. A small wooden sign above this shop’s main door is bare except for a large, bent nail sticking out of it. The front room contains displays of ornate wooden furniture, as well as a selection of bows and crossbows. The wall behind the counter is lined with rows of finely carved wooden canes, quarterstaffs, and shields. A half-elf named Tally Fellbranch runs the shop.

T3: Steam and Steel. During daylight hours, smoke and steam billow from the many windows around this indoor forge where metal weapons, armor, and tools are made. The forge is owned and operated by a married couple: a fire genasi named Embric and a water genasi named Avi. Both are members of the Most Careful Order of Skilled Smiths and Metalforgers. As an armorer, Avi also belongs to the Splendid Order of Armorers, Locksmiths, and Finesmiths.

T4: Corellon's Crown. Fala Lefaliir, an herbalist and a member of the Guild of Apothecaries and Physicians, operates out of this stately, three-story town house, the third floor of which has been converted into a greenhouse. Its translucent glass walls allow anyone on the street to see the rainbow of flowers blossoming within.

T5: Tiger's eye. This private detective’s business is unremarkable on the outside, its only distinguishing mark an orange-and-black sign featuring a cat’s eyes. Inside is a regal apartment dimly lit by flickering oil lamps. The door is locked, and visitors must knock or ring the bell before being let in.

T6: Book Wyrm's Treasure. The front of this bookstore is adorned with a charming sign of a gold dragon curled around a treasure hoard of books and scrolls. Inside, the shop is decorated with beautiful hardwood, and the earthy scent of old books permeates the air. The library fills two floors of this three-story building, and it somehow seems to contain more shelves than the building should be able to hold. The shop is managed by a short dragonborn of gold dragon ancestry named Rishaal the Page-Turner.

T7: Sewer Access. At the east end of Trollskull Alley is a removable metal grate that covers an opening. Below the grate, a ladder descends 20 feet into the Waterdeep sewer system.

Homebrew shopping rules and tables!

Buying
The shops do not stock all things. Sometimes they can be made or ordered but will take time to be available. For levels 1-5, roll a d12 and consult the following table to see if the item you are interested in is available. For magical or items not listed in the basic rules (Links: armor, weapons, adventuring gear, tools and instruments, trade goods, mounts and vehicles) , make your roll and I will tell you the cost of the item you seek. Generally, common items will range from 50-100 gp and uncommon items from 101-500 gp, and rare items 501-5000 gp. The price is affected by the properties of the magical item, such as number of uses it has, if it requires attunement, if the magic is always on or use-activated, etc.

d12 resultCommonUncommonRare
1Will take 3 days + 100% costUnavailableUnavailable
2Will take 2 days + 75% costUnavailableUnavailable
3Will take 1 day + 50% costWill take 5 days + 125% costUnavailable
4Available +50% costWill take 3 days + 100% costUnavailable
5Available +25% costWill take 1 day + 75% costWill take 10 days + 150% cost
6AvailableAvailable +75% costWill take 5 days + 125% cost
7AvailableAvailable +50% costWill take 3 days + 100% cost
8AvailableAvailable +25% costWill take 1 day + 75% cost
9AvailableAvailableAvailable +75% cost
10AvailableAvailableAvailable +50% cost
11Available - 25% costAvailableAvailable +25% cost
12Available - 50% costAvailable - 25% costAvailable

Selling
The shops will buy items they think they can sell, usually at a discounted price. If you do not like the price, you can keep the item to try and sell it to someone else another time. For bartering, you can make a persuasion check DC 15 to add 1 to your d12 roll on the following chart. This check cannot be made with advantage or disadvantage at any time.

d12 resultOffer
1Not interested
2Offers 30% of value
3Offers 40% of value
4Offers 50% of value
5Offers 50% of value
6Offers 50% of value
7Offers 60% of value
8Offers 70% of value
9Offers 80% of value
10Offers 90% of value
11Offers 100% of value
12Offers 110% of value
13Offers 120% of value

Each *type* of item gets its own roll. So if you have 3 short swords to sell, roll one d12 for the lot.

Last edited:
[oh man this is cool. I'll write up Ran's next move in a bit but just wanted to say I'm loving this so far]

I will investigate Trollskull Alley! Specifically want to learn more about Tigers Eye and Book Wyrm's treasure. My character is a very good investigator, so may be able to get a job with Tigers Eye, and maybe once I am finished with the spell book I could sell it at the bookstore. Also interested in what other taverns, bars or inns are nearby. Who would be our competition and what type they are should we rebuild as a tavern. I also very casually inquire about the availability of a ring of spell storing. Also interested in the gossip and history of Trollskull Manor.

edit: and it says something about orders for the blacksmiths, maybe there are other orders out there. Would growing up in Waterdeep let me know about the various orders of trades in the city? Can we even repair our manor ourselves or are the teamsters gonna visit us? Local 908 in the house!

Passive Investigation 20
Roll to see if the ring is for sale .... 1

Charity

Charity, over the course of ??? (the next few days, I guess?), starts cleaning up the manor. Clearing out the detritus and the furniture that's totally ruined, repairing some furniture maybe. If possible, she will also look for somebody selling plants or flowers (maybe the Herbalist?) and bring some home to bring some color into the place, as a tribute to Chauntea.

Also, she will ask for help from any party member who's willing to write a letter back home, letting her parents know that she's safe and did some good things on her first days in Waterdeep and will be staying a little while longer to hopefully do more good.

She also levels up to Great Weapon Fighting Style, Divine Smite, and spells.

I will help as well, manually and also if I can cast Unseen Servant as a ritual from the halforcs book. We will need to figure out what nees to be repaired as well.

Last edited:
Anything in the manor that can be fixed, I'll use Mending on it. I can cast that cantrip at will. I can theoretically cast it about 4800 times in an 8 hour work shift ;)

Not sure how many Unseen Servants I could have up and running. Casting it as a ritual would make 6 an hour and they last for an hour. If we ran a bar I could leave a stack of US scrolls behind the bar to clean up messes.

Ran returns to the ground floor after exploring the manor a bit. Everyone is hurrying about with their sleeves rolled up, working their hardest to clean and make what repairs they can. Ran watches as Charity whispers an apology to the flower she dropped, Marten jigsawing a broken stool back together with his magic and Brad holding a tattered tapestry and muttering about it "sparking joy" or not.

"I gotta get out of here before someone hands me a broom"

A master of stealth, Ran does little more than briskly jog out of the manor and into the market streets

[Stealth check 12 to leave without anyone noticing that I've yet to help]

With a selection of the gear in tow, Ran heads to some of the local shops to try and unload some of the loot.

Erythro watches Ran sneek out the door and makes a mental note to divy up the rooms before he gets back.

Passive Perception 14.

Are any of the upstairs rooms bathrooms or evil scientists lab or got any books? Or have hidden messages like the Blink episode from Doctor Who?