[Other] Halforums Heist

Ran, ready for round two with the thugs leaps into the action against the one who escaped his wrath earlier.

[16 to hit, 7 non lethal. Thinking of including a reluctance to kill into Ran's story.]

take DODGE action

Erythro begins a deliberate dance with his dagger, moving close to the combatants before positioning himself in such a way to gain the advantage on the thugs, "Gut this impostor! Spare the dwarf!"

Charity

Charity gives a bit of a panicked glance as the rest rush in but follows suit with a swift strike from her greatsword to the dwarf.

21 to hit, 11 damage.

Ty joins the fray, striking at the duergar with two daggers. The first finds a weakness in the armor (for 11 damage after sneak attack). His second bounces off the dwarf's armor.

Krentz (the human) strikes at Erythro. "Too bad for you I have plenty of self loathing!" His quip distracts even himself, though, and the scimitar finds only air.

Zemk (the duergar)suddenly disappears!

(Everyone may go again in any order!)

Ran looks for the footsteps of the invisible dwarf. Thinking he sees something move he strikes out!

[ Disadvantage roll of 14 damage of 6]

Brad with misplaced confidence, stabs at an empty spot of room (ATK 6) and his rapier connects with the wall leaving a small hole in the plaster.

Erythro picks up the fallen corpse of Krentz by the legs and swings it around in a giant circle. Around and around it goes, when he stops nobody knows!

I use the Help action to distract the invisible duergar and grant Ty ADVANTAGE on his attacks

Charity

Moving to block the passage so that the dwarf cannot warn his friends, Charity lashes out with her sword.

I will attempt to move to whichever passageway leads further into the den, then attack for 15, with 5 damage if I hit.

Ty eyes the spots in the room where the duergar can possibly escape to from Erythro's wild distraction and Charity's blocking of one of the exit doors. Sneaking over to a corner, he feels the warm glow of another person where nothing should be. His daggers drive into the belly and neck of the dwarf, leaving the Xanathar thug dead on the ground.

(combat has ended!)

Erythro watches Marten with no hint of expression as the old cleric looks back and forth between the doors. "They were trying to block that one," he says at last, pointing to the northern door.

Erythro nods, "I concur."

Erythro picks up some of the effects of the fallen Krentz to complement his disguise and heads towards the door they were not trying to block. "I'll lead the way."

Between the two thugs, they had 1 platinum piece and 9 electrum pieces.

The duergar had scale mail, a shield, a war pick, and a javelin. The human had leather armor, a scimitar, and a light crossbow with 9 bolts.

That party follows the passage around a bend to the south. Once again they pass under the slow watery sounds of the sewer before climbing some stairs into a large hall.
Threadbare curtains hang on the east wall of the long hall, in the middle of which a muscular half-orc in dingy robes stands with his foot on the chest of a male human with wavy red-blond hair. Fire burns around the orc’s clenched fist, and his victim cries and squirms helplessly beneath him.

Seated on a raised platform to the south is a nightmarish figure wearing black robes. It has large white eyes and rubbery purple skin, with four tentacles encircling its inhuman mouth. It cradles and gently caresses what looks like a disembodied brain with feet.

Copy of Xanathar Hideout 1 (5).png

(I will roll initiative only as needed.)

Can we back up the icons a bit. I would like to go up the stairs super sneaky and slowly. Then when I crest the stairs still disguised as the thug (but now with his scimitar.)

Upon seeing the new room, I slump against the wall to the entrance and cry as if hurt badly "Zhentarim, right behind me!" then ready "my" scimitar as if to sneak attack the "Zhents" as they enter the room.

Seated on a raised platform to the south is a nightmarish figure wearing black robes. It has large white eyes and rubbery purple skin, with four tentacles encircling its inhuman mouth. It cradles and gently caresses what looks like a disembodied brain with feet.
(I will roll initiative only as needed.)
a mind flayer?! Now serving fresh wizard brains!

Can we back up the icons a bit. I would like to go up the stairs super sneaky and slowly. Then when I crest the stairs still disguised as the thug (but now with his scimitar.)

Upon seeing the new room, I slump against the wall to the entrance and cry as if hurt badly "Zhentarim, right behind me!" then ready "my" scimitar as if to sneak attack the "Zhents" as they enter the room.

a mind flayer?! Now serving fresh wizard brains!
Yes. Roll deception.

The half-orc turns around, keeping the human under him pinned. "Well, take care of them," he says with a growl.

The figure across the room stands. "What is it, Grum'shar?" it says in a chilling, unearthly voice.

"Krentz. He says the zhents are attacking us."

The other figure narrows its alien eyes. It mutters an incantation, then raises its gaze to Erythro. "That is not Krentz, you idiot. Kill him. And his friends."

Ok, fudging things a little for simplicity here:

Everyone may go first except Ty and Renaer.
Foes will go second
Ty and Renaer go last.

Copy of Xanathar Hideout 1 (6).png

[I don't know that I want anything to do with tentacle face or his brain. Would I know what a mind flayer is and how dangerous they are?

I'll move just inside the room and off to one side of the doorway (so others can enter behind me) and take a shot at the half-orc. (20 to hit, 9 damage). I'm going to assume that's Floon down on the floor.]

"Step off our frien', you fiend!"

Do we have enough time for me to redistribute some of the gear? I think Charity might be interested in the shield and Renaer might want to upgrade his armor to the scale if that's more his style etc.

Edit: just saw the other posts. Whoops guess not haha!