[Other] Halforums Heist

As everyone goes to bed Ran confirms with Brad that they want to at least scope out the other place first?

"Wait for me," Brad calls to Ran. "I'm good for a quick stroll. A nice saunter, a constitutional if you will." Brad joins Ran on the way to Candle lane

Brad the bard and Ran (the bard) head back out into the wet spring night. They are used to late nights and this night has only just begun.

Brad and Ran:

The pair head east, wending their way through tenements and run down shops before finally locating Candle Lane. The buildings on either side of Candle Lane are so tall and so tightly packed together that light touches the street only at highsun. Thus, gloom envelops a narrow alley as dark as a dungeon — and as odorous as one, too. Nearly all the streetlamps have been smashed. The only light that pierces the darkness is a faint flickering from down the lane, like a distant candle.

The flickering comes from the one streetlamp still intact on Candle Lane, kept alight by a continual flame spell. A warehouse is directly across the street from the lamp, which illuminates a black winged snake painted above the door’s handle. It is a ramshackle two-story warehouse that stands at the back of an outer yard behind a high fence. The gate on the fence isn’t locked, however.

Ran, Brad, and Sheep return about 40 minutes after they leave with a good sense of the location but not much more than that. The next morning, everyone comes down from their rooms (unless they are residents of Waterdeep) at various intervals and with various degrees of alertness. Included in their 1 gp lodging price was a hearty breakfast.

Once everyone has arrived, they begin to discuss the next step of their investigation...

(Everyone gets a long rest.)

"If'n Yagra is part o' that bunch, I say we jes' go down and try talkin' to 'em first. She might feel kindly disposed to put in a good word for us."

Marten pauses to think for a second.

"But if we gotta crack heads, that's ok too. I don't take to street gangs."

[ooc: I'm going to be swamped the next couple days. If y'all are ever waiting on me feel free to take control of Ran. While he isn't one to hide from a fight, he'd certainly like to use an amount of trickery to solve his problems first.]

"Yeah, I'd likes to ask what she thinks about it all"

Yagra is not around, so the party heads out after breakfast. They head east, wending their way through tenements and run down shops before finally locating Candle Lane. The buildings on either side of Candle Lane are so tall and so tightly packed together that light touches the street only at highsun. Thus, gloom envelops the narrow alley even at this early hour. Nearly all the streetlamps have been smashed. The only light that pierces the darkness is a faint flickering from down the lane, like a distant candle.

The flickering comes from the one streetlamp still intact on Candle Lane, kept alight by a continual flame spell. A warehouse is directly across the street from the lamp, which illuminates a black winged snake painted above the door’s handle. It is a ramshackle two-story warehouse that stands at the back of an outer yard behind a high fence. The gate on the fence isn’t locked, however.

Ran examines the gate. He tries to determine if there is anything on it that would alert the inside to our presence of it were disturbed.

[Investigation roll 11]

If it looks all clear, and the party agrees, he would peek through what I'm assuming is a window at B8

Enythro studies the scene closely, putting all five of his senses to the test. A few odd looks are given when he tastes something on the ground. Then he slips the latch on the gate and carefully approaches the small door.

Stealth Check is a 5, Passive Investigation = 18, Passive Perception = 17

Funny Video

The gate appears to be safe and Erythro leads the party into the courtyard of the warehouse. They follow him single-file, avoiding the detritus in the yard. They arrive at the small door on the north side of the yard. A gentle tug reveals it is locked.

Brad attempts to pick the lock on the door (8) with his pen, after realizing he has no real tools or ability to do so. He blushed with embarrassment "Sorry just got caught up in the moment". Brad will use a bardic inspiration die(1d6) for whoever wants to actually pick it.

Last edited:
Ran, knowing his way around thieves tools, kicks himself for not having any on him and makes a note to buy some.

He offers up his crowbar with a shrug

"Always got a plan B. Is the other door locked?"

Ty smiles and waves away the crowbar, pulling out a roll of tools and selecting a pick. He lowers his head to listen as he inserts the pick gently, hoping his skills pay off once more.

(modified roll of 25 to open the lock)

The lock clicks in a soft, satisfying way as Ty navigates the tumblers into place. Pushing the door open reveals darkness beyond, but as their eyes adjust, they see crates and boxes haphazardly packed with weapons, rations, boots, black uniforms, and other gear strewn about the warehouse. Tables and chairs have been carelessly tossed across the floor. The corpses of at least half a dozen men lie along the walls, their rapiers and daggers lying nearby. Slightly to the east, stairs rise to an open level above.

Shadows move to the east and there is the clear sound of feet scuffing on the floor through the darkened warehouse.

Warehouse Floor 1.png

The wizard silently signals to hold, studying the scene, in a whisper "We seem a bit late, perhaps the rival gang reached here first. No matter, we should endeavor to capture them alive, whatever they may be. If the appear to run, I will block their escape with a cloud of poisonous gas. Do not enter it or suffer a gruesome demise." Having whispered his advice, he scans the scene.

Investigate the area, any signs of traps or secret locations, do the corpses look familiar? The upstairs brothers me, great location for a sniper.

"woa, I'm gettin' the Willie's here" Ran whispers.

Ran narrows his eyes and tries to identify any obvious marks on the nearest body without getting closer.

"Why are they all along the wall? Were they placed there or did the killing blow just happen to leave them there? These must have been the attacking gang. Otherwise there wouldn't be so much loot left. Can anyone see if they have snake tattoos?"

[Perception check 14]

Last edited:
Charity

Charity had been following along quietly, with a warm smile on her face, full of good hope to the succesful completion of their task. However, on sight of the corpses and the bloodied weapons, the smile fades and she sets her expression to a grim determination. Unbuckling the straps on the leather sheathe, she takes out her battered sword and prepares for the worst. While Erythro goes about his investigation, the young woman moves towards the sound of the feet with careful, measured steps, though she'll hold if the others indicate it's a bad idea.

The slender wizard motions for Marten and Charity to move ahead, hoping that the minstrels will follow at there sides, so Ty and the wizard bring up the rear, trusting that the rogue keen danger sense will serve them well.

The sheep follows behind.

Marten hefts his mace and readies his shield, and creeps as best he is able into the room, keeping an eye on the stairway and being prepared for anything.

I should be able to get as far as A2, which would let me see if anyone's hiding behind boxes. I'll ready an attack if I stumble across a bad guy in melee distance.

Erythro creeps into the room, deftly looking around as stealthy as possible.

Stealth check 10...yay?

At least one of the bodies, probably at least two, have the flying snake tattoo of the Zhentarim on them...the same on the outside of the warehouse. Creeping silently forward, the party can see five figures moving about to the east of them. By their silhouettes, they are kenku. Erythro scuffs his feet and Marten clanks his weapon against a crate. The kenku look their way and draw their weapons...

Initiative order:
- Erythro, Brad, Charity
- Kenku
- Ran, Ty, Marten

Warehouse Floor 1 (1).png

"Grounded sky rats, scourge of society. Take them quickly before they slit our throats two for a copper." a mental command and five pounds of fluffy fury scamper towards avian menace, it's heroic action causing a great distraction."Bolt Tine Teilgthe!"

2 points of damage to number 5

Charity

Moving forward, Charity steels herself as she readies her sword. "Come then, murderers. You will find me not so easy a target as those poor fools," she beckons the Kenku forward as she holds her ground.

Moving to the square directly below the stairs. Holding my action to attack the first kenku to come in range, but missing with an 8.

Brad's dagger thuds into a crate while Charity moves to hold the narrow point between the warehouse floor and this side area.

Kenku1 shifts around the crate he is behind and fires an arrow at Brad. It thumps into the wooden box by his head.

Kenku2 charges forward and swings his short sword at Charity. It finds its mark on her thigh for 8 damage.

Kenku3 plunks an arrow into Charity's arm for 4 damage and the paladin falls to the ground, bleeding profusely on the warehouse floor.

Kenku4 fires an arrow at Marten and it glances off his armor.

Kenku5 steps forward, slashing at Sheep. The sword swishes along her back, leaving a tuft of wool floating to the ground.

Warehouse Floor 1 (2).png

Ty takes the lesson from his brave (reckless) new ally, and keeps a wall between himself and the bulk of the hostile creatures as he advances slightly and throws a knife. It misses its intended target and bounces off the wall and further into the warehouse.

(Moving to D7 and throwing a dagger at Kenku #2, 7 to hit)

Seeing the paladin fall, Marten's face turns grim, and he calls upon Lathander for aid. As he rushes forward, a flash of light streaks from his holy symbol toward the nearest bird creature. "They've got bows!" he screams. "Close the distance!"

I'll move around the boxes to D7 if necessary to remove any cover advantage that Kenku #2 has.
Guiding bolt vs Kenku #2, hits AC 14. Damage of 9 if it hits.