[Other] Halforums Heist

Ran is surprised to see the coins, but knows better than to ask questions.

He ponders how much of the story is true, and what might be left out. Still though, Ran isn't one to leave another in captivity.

"Which way would he have gone to get from the Tavern to his home? Could you show me? The longer we wait the less likely we'll be able to find him and help."

Ran gathers his things to leave.

"If the rest of you need to rest, I understand. I can meet you back here in the morning. Hopefully I'll have a lead by then."

Brad grabs his coins before they disappear. Turning to Ran he says "I agree with you, I'll come with and meet the rest in the morning?"

Erythro approaches Yagra with excitement and arms out wide, then in mid step turns around. The scowl marring her normally angelic face tells the man, that now may not be the best time. Quick to notice that the dueling banjos have adopted the notion that time is not to be wasted he cries out "Excellent choice minstrels, let me lead the way. Together we'll have this matter settled expeditiously." A straightening of his coat and a nod to the bartender and he's out the door off to the Dock Ward of Waterdeep.

Exit, pursued by a sheep.

For those heading out:

The Yawning Portal sits on the south side of the Castle Ward, just east of the base of Mount Waterdeep. The Dock Ward is only a block or so away from the tavern, although the character of the Dock Ward really only reveals itself after a few more blocks deeper into the ward. Tall, densely packed tenements leave most of the neighborhood in shadow at ground level. Most of the streetlamps have had their glass smashed and their candles stolen, and the smells of salt air and excrement linger as the party passes by rows of run-down buildings.

As they turn a corner, the group finds themselves on a street that has been cordoned off by the City Watch. Lying on the cobblestones are a half-dozen corpses, seemingly the victims of some terrible skirmish. Watch officers have disarmed and arrested three blood-drenched humans and are in the midst of questioning witnesses. One of the officers sees the party. “Get on,” she says. “Nothing to see here.”

"First our guy goes missing, next Yagra is attacked, now this? Crime is on the rise in Waterdeep. Hang on a second, guys, I'm going to see what I can find out."

Ran makes his way along the looky-loos to try to get close enough to hear the witnesses.

[11 on a stealth check, if one is needed]

Charity

"Apologies, protectors of the city," Charity approaches hastily, looking every bit the disarming young woman she is. "We are in search of a man, who may have run afoul of some violence, and were worried to see that our search had already come to an end. Is it possible that you might tell us if a man of the following description was among the victims?" She gives Floon's description to the guards, hoping for the best.

Persuasion for....7. Oops

"He sounds like a fancy lad," the city watchwoman says. "We got no fancy lads here, so I doubt we've got your lad. But, you can check with the morgue in the morning if you need to be sure."

Do the humans being arrested have the same tattoos as the ones who started the fight in the Yawning Portal? If so, Ty will mention to the guards that there are some more people who could maybe do with some questioning.

"You gods damned gangs are..." The city watch officers look over at Ran. "Can we help you?"
"Just wonderin' what the word is."

Ran gestures to his instrument.

"Part of my Bardic duties to keep the people informed of what's going on. Lots of rumors bound to be running around. Might be good to set the record straight"

Do the humans being arrested have the same tattoos as the ones who started the fight in the Yawning Portal? If so, Ty will mention to the guards that there are some more people who could maybe do with some questioning.
They do not.

"Just wonderin' what the word is."

Ran gestures to his instrument.

"Part of my Bardic duties to keep the people informed of what's going on. Lots of rumors bound to be running around. Might be good to set the record straight"
"No story here, bard. Just more senseless violence between the gangs. Now shove off!"

(Let me know when/if you want to move on.)

"Come on fellow bard, let's go find our friend."
"You're right. We aren't getting anywhere here. Lead the way"

[Ran has a criminal/spy background. Would he have knowledge of the criminal organizations in the area?]

"You're right. We aren't getting anywhere here. Lead the way"

[Ran has a criminal/spy background. Would he have knowledge of the criminal organizations in the area?]
Yes, some of them, at least. The Zhentarim are likely to be involved, you are fairly sure.

"Friends lets be on our way shall we? No need to distract the city guard from their duties. " Erythro states plainly, "Or let them study our faces." he adds with a whisper. Collecting the others as best he can direct them onward, the slender man starts plucking some wool fluff off his coat "This way, this way.... tús a chur le mionléasadh, yes this way."

Then behind the backs of the band of bar room brawlers, across the crowd booms out a voice heard earlier in the night "Ya pig! Like killin' me mates do ya?!" A quick turn of the head to look for the source of the voice as he walks away from the scene greatly concerned for his safety and respecting the guards authority as any law abiding citizen should.

Cast minor illusion in the voice of the guy from the bar, watch the 3 guys in hand cuffs to judge their reaction and continue on our way to the bar

Last edited:
"Friends lets be on our way shall we? No need to distract the city guard from their duties. " Erythro states plainly, "Or let them study our faces." he adds with a whisper. Collecting the others as best he can direct them onward, the slender man starts plucking some wool fluff off his coat "This way, this way.... tús a chur le mionléasadh, yes this way."

Then behind the backs of the band of bar room brawlers, across the crowd booms out a voice heard earlier in the night "Ya pig! Like killin' me mates do ya?!" A quick turn of the head to look for the source of the voice as he walks away from the scene greatly concerned for his safety and respecting the guards authority as any law abiding citizen should.

Cast minor illusion in the voice of the guy from the bar, watch the 3 guys in hand cuffs to judge their reaction and continue on our way to the bar
The city watch and the three in manacles all look up at the sound of Yagra's voice. Notably, the three in manacles look at each other and then pointedly towards the ground before the city watch turn their attention back to them.

As the band of ad-hoc rescuers moves on, they find they are quite close to their intended goal. The Skewered Dragon faces an alley that runs between Net Street and Fillet Lane in the Dock Ward. The tavern looks like a ruin. Both of its front-facing windows are smashed, and a ship’s anchor is lodged in the roof. Through the windows, you can see a group of haggard patrons drinking from huge tankards.

"Gentleman, before we enter a quick word, " a groan is heard from the sheep, "if there are corpses on the ground, the city watch wasn't present at the start. And none of the people who saw it start will have stuck around. And six heavily armed "adventurers" asking questions about a murderous fight between two sides of six heavily armed thugs, the watch is going to think WE are involved." The sheep begrudgingly nods its head. " Now before we enter we will need a plan. We can't all go in at once. We'll stagger in as groups. Charity you and I look similar enough, we be brother and sister taking our elderly and addled father to his favourite pub for a drink. You'll play the perfect daughter who takes after her heroic father, and I'll be Stich the disappointing failure of a tailor for a son. Marten keep remembering this bar incorrectly and mention how your friend Volo always took you here. Ty, your just be you. The dangerous loner of a card shark. Make inquiries about the level of clientele this bar gets, see if it's worth your while to stay. Minstrels, you're a group trying to earn enough money for a stay at the inn, any inn but the street. Ask if you can play bawdy drinking songs in exchange for drinks of Giant Gnomes. If this is the kind of establishment it looks like, they will know what it means. Sheep up top please."

As the mage starts his speech, Ty rolls his eyes and walks into the tavern. He walks to the bar, orders a drink, then looks around for a game to join.

Marten listens briefly to the speech, but as the details pile on, his eyes glaze over and he just starts looking confused. Eventually, he shrugs and follows Ty into the tavern.

Charity

Charity only looks perplexed. "Apologies, I don't understand. Why can we not go in as we are? We are simply looking for a lost soul, are we not? Surely this isn't such a strange thing, even in a city as large as Waterdeep." She offers Erythro a gentle, genuine smile and ruffles the sheep's head. "You'll see. Things won't be so complicated, as long as we are honest and up front in our kind intent. How bad can it be?" Without any further ominous statements, she turns, as well, and enters the inn.

Brad looks at Erythro and shrugs. "Solid plan my good sir, but maybe tell us on the way instead of at the missing windows. I'm sure the patrons of this fine establishment could hear every word." With that he turns and saunters into the inn.

Ran lingers with Erythro a moment.

"Listen pal, I ain't in any position to talk a big game. Whatever you say works. I'll hang back a minute and go in Afters yous."

As each enters the bar, the regulars get quieter until the whole bar is silent. When Ty orders a drink, conversations resume in hushed tones. All eyes remain on the Interlopers...

Marten orders a beer at the bar. He slides one of his newly acquired gold pieces to the bartender and, keeping his voice low, says "yeh can keep the change if yer willin' to part with a little information. Lookin' for a guy wuz in here a couple nights ago. Fancy pants man with red hair. Might've been in here with another fancy pants guy. Red haired guy owes me some money." (19 persuasion if it applies)

The barman eyes the coin and then sweeps it off the counter. He nods to a table of rough looking dock workers in the corner by one of the front-facing broken windows.

Charity

As she walks in, Charity greets the intense looks with a big smile and a gentle wave. Heading straight for the bar, she waits for a moment 'till Marten's done with his question, then slides over one of the gold pieces she received from Volo. "A round for all these good people, if you will, sir. It has been a long day, no doubt, and a drink will make it easier to bear." Once she has her own drink, she raises it to the crowd in general as the barkeep goes about serving the drinks, taking a big swig of the - admittedly kind of weak - ale.

Marten walks over to Charity and nudges her with his elbow. "Those are the guys to talk to," he says, lifting his chin at the dock workers the bartender identified. "Tell the others 'fore they start speechifyin."

Brad wanders over to the dock workers and says "Any of you gents seen a well off red haired man in here a few days ago? I and my friends are looking for him. I've got 6 gold for useful information." He flashes the gold pieces in between his fingers and quickly puts them away.

The dockworkers look at each other and then back at Brad. "Yeah, we seen 'im," one of them says.

Another nods vigorously. "Fancy fella. He was here with a couple of others..."

A third chimes in, hoping to earn his coin too. "Yeah, one left early. Then the other shows up to met your friend. The two drank and played a few rounds of Three-Dragon Ante before leaving around midnight. "

A fourth says, "Renaer Neverember. Chip off the old block, that one!”

“Just another spoiled, rich noble who likes to rub our noses in it!” a fifth says.

A sixth simply says, "Yeah" and drinks more of his ale.

The first speaks up again. "Those zhents had their eye your boys, I believe. Five of them followed the two out when they left."

"Right, right," says the third. "Haven't seen those blokes around here since."

The fifth chimes back in, "Strange, that. They's regulars."

Others nod in agreement with this. The first says, "Try Candle Lane. Look for the snake symbol on the door."

"Yup," says the sixth and takes another swig of his ale. He holds out his hand for his reward.