[Gaming] Halforums and halflings?

Hey I've been here a bit. And this is crazy. But let's play by post, and I'll DM maybe?

Ebberon setting but my interpretation of it so miss me with that "that's not how that faction works!" It is here baby because I'm your god!

Real loosy goosy. Roll real dice if you want. I trust ya. Just send me your character sheet (pix are fine doesn't have to be on D&D beyond)

Official stuff is good to go. Your half assymar half demon hot boi half drizzit who beat Vox Machina with the power of love and incredible violence is APPRECIATED but BANNED.

I haven't DM'd before so this might be a bumpy ride. But I figure play by post kinda gives me time to think about what happens next and stuff? Might be fun, might fizzle out reaaaaaaaal quick. Who knows!

If there's interest I'll post some lore so people can start thinking about their character and then make a separate thread that will be RP only while this thread will be all out of character talk.

That sounds fun! I haven't played in ages, but sometimes our games were played over IM because we couldn't physically be in the same place at the same time, so it can be done!

www.dndbeyond.com/sheet-pdfs/HCGLNS_78979907.pdf

Eilonwyren "Ren" is a beautiful, yet some times naive young half elven bard, with flowing red hair and a bounce in her step she loves to perform and meet new people and yearns to travel to new places! She is quick to trust and believes there is good in everyone, but has a mischievous side to her, that only her sharp wits and persuasive nature have kept her our of too much trouble. A shadow follows her, not of her own making. The acts of her parents have enraged the dark mage Vapore'Ladro, who seeks revenge upon her family with his evil horde. Eilonwyren has been given an amulet that prevents any and all attempts by Vapore'Ladro from finding her. It is her most sacred possession.

I've never played a tabletop (well, forum-based) RPG before so I won't participate, but I will be watching with great interest.

I've never played a tabletop (well, forum-based) RPG before so I won't participate, but I will be watching with great interest.
Booo! Play!

If you want to that is. My wife will be playing too and she's never played something like this either. You're 100% welcome and won't be a bother to anyone.

No pressure.

Some peer pressure though honestly.

But no pressure

Last edited:
Play as one of the horses, or one of the pack animals.
Or as a bat that follows the party (at a respectable distance) and gives news reports.

--Patrick

A little about our setting:

Ebberon is a little different than your normal D&D setting.
Khorvaire is the continent that will be the setting of the adventure. The Last War ™ ended 2 years ago. 4 years ago, one of the 5 nations that was in the war was completely wiped out due to The Mourning ©

No one knows what caused The Mourning and no one knows if it could happen again. That was the catalyst to the war ending.

When you make your character try to think of how the war affected you. Did you fight in it? Did you lose your home? Maybe you profited off of it?

Races are a little different than what you might be used to. Elves tened to be a bit more warrior focused. Orcs live in largely druidic society and guard the lands. Goblins and goblinoids are rebuilding their once great kingdom. Halflings ride their dinosaur mounts in the Talenta Plains. Changelings tend to hide in small groups among other races and choose not to reveal their true nature. Shifters live in tight knit communities and avoid the order of the Silver Flame that once hunted them. Warforged are trying to figure out their role as a literal war machine in a time of peace.

Dwarves still dig in mountains though so that's nice. Let me know if you have any questions or want any more info on any of this.

Quick nation breakdown!

Aundair- magic! Floating cities, the best mage academies and also monks! The deadliest nerds are from here

Breland- the biggest of the human nations after the war. Home of Sharon, the biggest city in the continent. Some of the best spies are from here.

Cyre AKA the mournlands- used to be the biggest and wealthiest nation. Now a mist hangs over the entire land. When the mist spread most everyone who encountered it either fell over dead, or worse. Not many people made it out. A small town of New Cyre has been established in Breland.

Darguun- once a part of Cyre, Goblin mercenary groups broke off and formed their own nation. Goblins once ruled the whole of Khorvaire long ago and are egar at a chance to rebuild.

Demon wastes- Demons, Barbarians and not a whole lot more. The barbarian tribes are either maddened and worship the demons or the dragon below, or work tirelessly to keep the evil within their borders from escaping.

Droaam- once a part of Breland many of the "monstrous" races live here. Ruled by a council of Hags.

Eldeen Reaches- once a part of Aundair these lands are fiercely independent and more a mixture of various peoples who wish to be free. Druidic in nature and largely farming or forest communities.

Karrnath- first of the human kingdoms. While many soldiers in the last war had but one life to give to their country the necromancers of Karrnath ensured that their people had Two.

Lhazaar Principalities- Pirates!

Mror Holds- Dwarves! The dwarves of the Mror Holds were once exiles of their own lands. The dwarves that remained hidden in their mountains were eventually never heard from again.

Q’barra- home of the lizard folk and dragon kin. Rich in the highly sought after dragon shards that are used in many magical rituals

Shadow Marches- while officially a part of the human empire these lands were never truly colonized and occupied by the kingdoms. Orcs and humans live here and spend their time tending to nature and mining for dragon shards.

Talenta Plains- Fuckin' Jurassic Park meets the shire.

Thrane- A theocracy human kingdom run by the order of the silver Flame. Their breaking away from the human empire was part of the cause of The Last War ™

Thronehold- a small island in the middle of the largest river. This used to be the seat of power for the human empire. Now it sits as a type of neutral ground where representatives from all nations gather to ensure that the treaty that ended the war is upheld. Many spies find good work here.

Valenar- after the goblin mercenaries broke from Cyre the Elven mercenaries figured..."well, sure why not?" And followed suit. I mean they used to live here 10,000 years ago! Why shouldn't they live here again? The Valenar calvary is second to none in all of Khorvaire.

Zilargo- home of the gnomes and a tinkering paradise. Also assassin's but we dont talk about them so much. Much of the arcanotech of Khorvaire can be found here.

For making a character roll 4d6 drop the lowest. If you absolutely hate your stats from your rolls take the standard array.

(and do players have to choose their class first or are they allowed to decide afterwards? First class, then stats-in-order makes for some very interesting play :rofl:)

Whatever is more fun for you. But yes you can roll your stats first then decide on race/class if you want. Assign them wherever you want.

My only warning is that any crazy broken thing you can do the bad guys can do too. But I mean go nuts! My goal is to have some fun and get a nice distraction from *gestures vaguely at everything*

So how do you feel about the Aarakocra race? Their racial abilities aren't that amazing, but they do fly.
What alignments are acceptable Are you running a Pure Good campaign, a regular campaign where we're supposed to be at least nominally on the side of "Good", generally, a Neutral-to-Evil campaign in Crapsack World? I have no desire to play Evil, just trying to get to grips with the feel. I don't think I've ever played in Ebberon...and I don't actually know much of anything about it.

So how do you feel about the Aarakocra race? Their racial abilities aren't that amazing, but they do fly.
What alignments are acceptable Are you running a Pure Good campaign, a regular campaign where we're supposed to be at least nominally on the side of "Good", generally, a Neutral-to-Evil campaign in Crapsack World? I have no desire to play Evil, just trying to get to grips with the feel. I don't think I've ever played in Ebberon...and I don't actually know much of anything about it.

Aarakocra should be fine. There's ranged weapons and spells so even if you're flying it's not like you just CAN'T be hit. I'm willing to allow it. Unless you're crazy strong doing things like picking people up and dropping them will still be really hard to do.

Alignment is anything goes. My only rule is that even if you're chaotic or evil or whatever there's still an expectation to work with the group. No stealing from the group, no PVP and so on.

Ebberon is a world of shades of grey. None of the factions are purely good and few of them are purely evil.

The order of the silver Flame for example works tirelessly against evil and demons and the like. They also had a crusade against Shifters (descendants of lycanthropes) a few hundred years ago. They aren't as xenophobic these days but they haven't really apologized for what they did. They work for the greater good and are Tolerant of other religions but they're also like that guy who just asks you strait up where you go to church instead of asking if you're even religious at all.

The Blood of Vol is a necromantic order of undeath. To them, divinity resides within us all and death is how we ascend to our higher calling. When they turn one of their own into a vampire it's not a power grab it's seen as martyrdom. The vampire won't ever die and achieve divinity but they can guide others to theirs. They aren't purely evil in any sense as they don't push their beliefs on others but to outsiders looking in it looks pretty bad for sure.

Haha true. But with as much as there is that was actually brief as hell. Don't get me started on the dragon marked houses (please there's so many and it confuses the hell out of me)

For backstory don't worry too much about it being a huge and fleshed out character. We can fill things in later when you have a chance to play with your character and see where they take you. The main things I want are:

Relation with The Last War- not everyone fought in the war but everyone was affected by it in some way.

Family- just some basics on if you have any family or not and basic relationship with them.

"I know a guy"- this is an NPC that you will make. They're your _____ person. Maybe they're your go to on magical item identification. Maybe they're an airship pilot who can be bribed. Maybe they just have their ear to the ground about current affairs. Probably don't assume that you're just super tight with the king of one of the nations but hey maybe you know a 3rd cousin or something.

Slapdash Bio

Created towards the end of the war as a courier through enemy lines, Slapdash earned his nickname through quick, often hazardous solutions to problems. While his tinkering is considered over-engineered at best and outright dangerous at worst, his control of his own body is remarkable. At the conclusion of the war, with nowhere to go, Slapdash found himself training with the monks of Aundair. (I still need a monastery etc. to affiliate with.)

There are other courier units like Slapdash but they tend not to know each other or even really recognize each other as family.

"I know a guy" - As the war came to a close, Slapdash was promoted to lieutenant and oversaw a small contingent of fresh couriers. While never close to those couriers, as the war ended shortly thereafter, he did develop a bond with another human officer, Captain Gil Frenson. They have exchanged correspondence over the two years since the war ended but not seen each other since then.

So we have:

@MindDetective - Warforged monk
HuGlans - Half-Elven bard
Phil's Wife - ?
@Celt Z - you want to join?
@bhamv3 - come on, you know you want to!
Bubble181 - I guess

For the other potential players - anyone interested in playing a healer/tank/rogue/other specific type/role?
If left to my own devices I intend to play an Aarakocra Warlock ranged DPS sort of thing (Laser-Shooting Terror Drone combined with really pretty plumage, kinda). but I can enjoy playing more of a Druid/Cleric-ish healer or tank character too. I'm not fond of playing the thief/lockpick/sneak style, honestly.

Also, @phil I rolled real dice and ended up with 17, 7,16, 8, 15 and 13. Which is great for the 17 & 16 (and the 17 was two sixes and two fives...could've used that 5 to go with the 2-2-2-3 I rolled right after), but a Warlock doesn't actually need that many good stats, so I can take on a class that needs high stats (Paladin or whatever) if necessary.

My wife rolled up a lizard folk druid yesterday. I'd imagine she would go circle of the moon and utilize wild shapes a lot so I wouldn't expect a lot of healing from her.

That being said please play what you want. If the party is completely lacking in some regard we can find a solution. Healbots and tanks can be hired or whatever.

In between missions I'll be opening things up so that if people want to join, bow out, or retire their current character for something new they can.

I'm thinking let's take the weekend to finish up making characters and then we can start the game proper early next week.

Be sure to join the campaign via D&D beyond. @MindDetective and I have all our sourcebooks on share mode so you should be able to make most anything you want.

Last edited:
Feel free! Let me know if you have any questions or anything!

Remember that if you don't like your rolled stats you can take standard array.