Halforum Minecraft Server

Buried in the release notes is the mention that the Java version of the Oprah update will also require an OpenGL v2.0 (or newer)-capable graphics card.
So you will be out of luck if you are still running a graphics card older than:
AMD/ATI: Radeon R300 series (9500/9600/9700, X300/X550/X600)
NVIDIA: Geforce FX (5200/5700/5900)
Intel: GMA X3000/X3100 ("Bearlake")

This means all you GeForce 4 Ti 4600 Ultra and Radeon 9200 users are finally going to be left out in the cold.

(Basically if you are running ANY kind of PCIe graphics card, you're probably fine)

--Patrick

Buried in the release notes is the mention that the Java version of the Oprah update will also require an OpenGL v2.0 (or newer)-capable graphics card.
So you will be out of luck if you are still running a graphics card older than:
AMD/ATI: Radeon R300 series (9500/9600/9700, X300/X550/X600)
NVIDIA: Geforce FX (5200/5700/5900)
Intel: GMA X3000/X3100 ("Bearlake")

This means all you GeForce 4 Ti 4600 Ultra and Radeon 9200 users are finally going to be left out in the cold.

(Basically if you are running ANY kind of PCIe graphics card, you're probably fine)

--Patrick
if im reading this right, if your computer is more than 17 years old you are out of luck? woof, guess im putting the old zeos 486 out to pasture!

figmentPez

Staff member
if im reading this right, if your computer is more than 17 years old you are out of luck? woof, guess im putting the old zeos 486 out to pasture!
11 years or less, I think. Intel GMA 945x (Lakeport) were used in Pentium D and Atom processors as late as 2008. So, probably a tiny fraction of Minecraft's userbase, but I would not be surprised if there are hundreds of people playing it on old small form factor business machines they bought refurbished. Especially in countries where new hardware is ridiculously expensive, and even used hardware's price is inflated.

GasBandit

Staff member
Fortunately, Minecraft Java edition makes it quite easy to roll back to any version you want to play, so it's not like these people just be flat cut off. They just won't be able to play version 1.15 or later.

If anyone is still playing Minecraft on some kind of AGP system, their biggest limitation is probably going to be a lack of RAM (since most AGP systems top out at 2GB or maybe 4GB).

PSA: Don't try to play Minecraft if you only have 4GB RAM or less. Heck, I wouldn't even wanna try to install Windows 10 with less than 8GB.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
If anyone is still playing Minecraft on some kind of AGP system, their biggest limitation is probably going to be a lack of RAM (since most AGP systems top out at 2GB or maybe 4GB).

PSA: Don't try to play Minecraft if you only have 4GB RAM or less. Heck, I wouldn't even wanna try to install Windows 10 with less than 8GB.
I'm talking about something like THIS Pentium D, Intel GMA 950 graphics, 8GB of RAM, Win 7 64. I'm betting there are a lot of machines with similar specs around the world.

figmentPez

Staff member
For those that think Minecraft is too easy: RLCraft.

- Hunger and thirst bars; drinking unfiltered water can make you sick
- You can't punch trees; you'll need to make tools to chop down a tree
- Lots and lots of hostile mobs that can one-shot a starting player
- No set re-spawn point until you craft a bed
and a whole lot more that I wouldn't want to deal with, but someone obviously does.

figmentPez

Staff member
There's a lot coming with the 1.15 Buzzy Bees update but the real reason to watch this video is the improved TNT handling. Explosions are going to be a lot more fun.

figmentPez

Staff member
Bees very nearly sucked me back into Minecraft, and Nether biomes is going to make it even more tempting to return:

- New "trees" and "wood" blocks, among many others.
- Netherite, a new material that can make armor and tools that are better than diamond
- New mobs
- New illumination blocks
and probably more I've forgotten.