Halforum Minecraft Server

GasBandit

Staff member
My build is finally complete. Also prettied up the grounds a little and made it more night-proof. Added a skyway tram for viewing from all angles that boards right next to my nether gate. I've got a video uploading to youtube of it, but because I did it in 1080p 60fps, it's gonna take 14 hours to upload. Maybe I should have taken it to work and uploaded it from there instead. Oh well.

Meantime, if you come to see it, I recommend you do so during the day because I don't have all the surfaces lit well enough to see them at night.

Chikii-monument 1.png

Chikii-monument 2.png

chikiiminecraftskin.png

Dave

Staff member
-heh- I just realized I got doxxed on Reddit. (No, GB, I don't care. I think it's funny.)

@GasBandit.....

I am so sorry man. I thought this was just something cool you were doing, I didn't know the history and story. I have never read this thread fully through and I am new to the server, in addition, somehow I never saw anything about this on the forums (I was away a lot and never caught up on everything).

I still say it's an awesome built, but now it's even more so. My belated condolences, and my continued applause for the awesome built.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, at @PatrThom 's prompting, I got mineways and ran it to see about making a 3d printable version of the monument.

Holy schnikeys. If 1 block is 2mm in size, it estimates the build will be 9 inches tall and run me $300. I think Pauline would smack me if I did that.

But in other news, it did count the number of blocks in the build for me - 37,000.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd feel really bad taking money, especially from you and Dave, knowing how tight it is for you both. It's not that I couldn't afford this if I decided to get it... it's just 300 bucks seems kind of expensive for this. Maybe what I should do is build a 1/3rd model in creative mode. I managed to get it down to $160 by cutting off the bottom (just her and the minecart to print)... but really there's no reason to have this be 9 inches tall. That's enormous.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
I suppose I walked right into that one, didn't I.
It was either that or a judicious edit of your post:

I'd feel really bad taking...you and Dave, knowing how tight it is for you both...300 bucks seems kind of expensive for this. I managed to get it down to $160 by ... the bottom ... but really there's no reason to have this ... 9 inches ... That's enormous.

GasBandit

Staff member
Just for giggles I tried doing a tectonicus from the backup shakey sent me... I also get the same painting-related crash he did.

I'll get a new map this week with the other map program. It's kind of a pain in the ass how they have the config set up though.

New map should be up. The address is the same, I had to force a refresh for it to work for me though. I added a second view, but apparently got the angle wrong. I'll swing it around in the next map. Also, if you want to see the player spawn points you need to click the check box under markers.

www.halforums.com/MCMap/

GasBandit

Staff member
New map should be up. The address is the same, I had to force a refresh for it to work for me though. I added a second view, but apparently got the angle wrong. I'll swing it around in the next map. Also, if you want to see the player spawn points you need to click the check box under markers.

www.halforums.com/MCMap/
Looks good. I like how the URL changes dynamically to reflect your location and zoom level, makes for easy linking. Like:

My build:
http://www.halforums.com/MCMap/#/1176/64/-395/-2/0/0

MattGrub's Corellian Corvette:

http://www.halforums.com/MCMap/#/235/64/818/-2/0/0

Drifter's water monument:

http://www.halforums.com/MCMap/#/105/64/-80/-2/0/0

and so on

Last edited:
Looks good. I like how the URL changes dynamically to reflect your location and zoom level, makes for easy linking. Like:
That is pretty cool, I didn't even notice that. I think the map itself looks better too. If only it was a bit easier to use. I guess it doesn't matter now that I have it figured out now.

GasBandit

Staff member
That is pretty cool, I didn't even notice that. I think the map itself looks better too. If only it was a bit easier to use. I guess it doesn't matter now that I have it figured out now.
I kinda prefer tectonicus' look, I always thought overviewer (and the other pixelmaps too) to look kinda "squished" in their perspective. But of course it doesn't matter if it doesn't work at all.

GasBandit

Staff member
https://mojang.com/2014/03/minecraft-snapshot-14w11a/

Next snapshot is out... and I'm dreading...
Survival changes:
  • Changed minecart physics
  • Made furnace minecart actually useful
  • Improved the general mob AI
  • And some surprises, try to find them
Uuuggghhgh you just know whatever they did is going to break everyone's track configuration... it's like the old days of the minecart mania mod all over again. Or even earlier, when they removed minecart launching.

Dave

Staff member
After some quick research it turns out the minecarts can fly off the tracks in a tight corner when they are at full speed with the powered rails. Furnace carts seem to have problems with taking corners. That's pretty much all I've found out in like ~4 mins.

Going up hills in minecarts doesn't work so well any more. Even with powered rails all the way it doesn't make it if it's too high. You also fly off the rails on high speed corners, like the bottom of a hill.

I thought they said that minecart boosters were going to be a thing again, too.
Perhaps they are pushing for using furnace carts as engines instead of relying on powered rail?

--Patrick