Halforum Minecraft Server

I decided to spin this off from the other Minecraft thread to make sure it was easier for people to find it.

We have a new Minecraft server up and running! It's a plain Vanilla server with no mods. With Mojang updating the API to make modding easier, each new release really hoses the current mods. Which makes it a pain to keep up to date.

To join just post in here or PM me with your name in game. There is a whitelist on the server, and I need to add you to it before you can connect. If you still can't get in after I add you, let me know.
The address for the server is: 198.154.113.26

We've already got a good amount of people playing, so claim your perfect spot while you can!

We now have a live map up and running. It will show changes in real time.
http://198.154.113.26:7500/

Here's a map of where we're at now: Map 2-27-14

Current whitelisted players:
  • aussietizzers - WasabiPoptarts hubby
  • awesomepossum69 - Far's friend
  • Blockphysh - Thread Necromancer
  • cheesy1 - cheesy1
  • covar - covar
  • dave_terry - David
  • dirona - dirona
  • edrondol - Dave
  • eriolancalagon - eriol
  • farwielder - Far
  • figmentpez - figmentpez
  • jake5675 (Non-forum member)
  • LordRendar - LordRendar
  • MattGrub - Grub
  • Mikessoul- Bones
  • mr_bogus - Drifter
  • patrthom - patrthom
  • shakey_jones - Shakey
  • stienman - stienman
  • strawberrytea - Dei
  • twitchmoss - twitchmoss
  • TomarusAnguirel - Gared

Last edited:
Except there's now a gigantic hole in the desert near the spawn point because I needed the sandstone there for my tower. :p

I doubt I'll be able to play anytime soon, but when I do have time there won't be time to notify you and get whitelisted, so please add 'stienman' to your whitelist, and hopefully I'll make an appearance eventually.

OK, a few comments/questions.

1. Where's your house on the overworld for the portal? Co-ordinates are best. I'm glad you have it covered to the fortress, though I'm OK with running from ghasts. As long as the portal itself is enclosed (no disabling of it by ghasts) it's all good IMO.
  2. The map is awesome. Keep it as isometric. I prefer those to top-down or anything, and by definition north is "not up" and it's fine. As long as it's consistent, it's all good. Thanks for the link too. I may use on my own stuff.
  3. I'll be trying in the Nether for sure. I'll also likely build a portal at my place, even if it's a trivial distance in the nether. I'll make them "link up" perfectly so I won't disable yours or anything.
Thanks again for hosting this man! It's always good to see what other people can do!
My House is at x:246, z:363. It's just a hole in the ground at the top of a hill right now. The portal should be at the second torch down.

The portal is surrounded on the other side, so you're safe there. When you get to the fort, you'll probably see a bunch of cobble. That's where I trapped the blaze spawner, hopefully I did it right. So be ready if you break some of that out.

I doubt I'll be able to play anytime soon, but when I do have time there won't be time to notify you and get whitelisted, so please add 'stienman' to your whitelist, and hopefully I'll make an appearance eventually.
Whenever you can is cool. You should be set!

Dave

Staff member
Edrondol will be there tonight, making small, blocky houses and digging everywhere.

One question. Monsters on?

One question. Monsters on?
Yep, but it's not on hardcore so it's not bad.

There's a house at the spawn that you can use to work out of at first, and a few items to get yourself started with in a chest. If it needs restocked, or we should have other stuff in there, let me know. I don't want to make it too easy on people though. :p

@Dave was kind enough to set it up so that you can now just put in mc.halforums.com:26057 for the server instead of the IP address. It should make it a little easier if we ever have to move the server.

I probably won't post these maps every day, but it's fun to look at the changes a bit more often at the start. Here's todays map: 12-10-13 Map
Cheesy's tower is pretty impressive, and it looks like Eriol has flooded his mountain. :D Drifter seems reaching for the clouds with his stair case going nowhere. I think that's Dei's house in the desert. My mountain is a bit empty still. Not sure where others are building yet.[DOUBLEPOST=1386777001,1386776857][/DOUBLEPOST]@figmentPez and @Covar, you should be added now.

Thanks again for running this Shakey. It's always "a bit of a thing" to run a server, of any kind. And thanks Dave for providing a DNS lookup for it. Makes things easier for new people.

I have indeed flooded significant areas of my mountain. Mob suppression. You know how hard it is to adequately light up something that size and with that much vertical? Kept the front clear though. Just backside protection. Fenced EVERYTHING else. So no chance of misunderstanding with "territory" of what's mine. A ravine rings my turf, but there's also a fence in case somebody's unclear. ;)

Thanks again for co-ordinates. I'll be looking in today.

You're welcome @Eriol. I'm just glad to finally be on a server where I don't have to worry about having all my stuff blown up with a pile of TNT.

That was a nice feature. Though I think that so far the house and chests at spawn work pretty well for that.

EDIT: And, if people want horses, Eriol and I each have one, and are offering breeding services. If you see either of us on, and want a horse, just holler. Bring your own saddle (or lead).

EDIT EDIT: Shakey, your foal is all grown up now. He's the unnamed brown one with white 'socks.'

Last edited:
That was a nice feature. Though I think that so far the house and chests at spawn work pretty well for that.
On that note, I have stocked the "initial" chest with 4 beds, ready-to-use, along with at least a few each of every "farmable" type of thing. So the following are there:
  • Melon Seeds
  • Pumpkin Seeds
  • Potatoes
  • Wheat Seeds
  • Carrots
  • Nether Wart - Soul sand to grow them is not included
  • Sugar Cane
In the future I will put every type of sapling I have as well, though there will probably be a run on Dark Oak, as you NEED 4 of them to make a tree with, and the canopy isn't THAT big. Dirona found a grove of them to the deep south-west, across the desert, if you're interested in the actual biome. We also need additional donations of carrots. Only 10 or so in there. So be careful taking them.

There's also a half-stack of bread. So if you're starting out, take what you need, and come back later when you've started farming.

Oh an as Dirona said, we're offering horse breeding services, but unfortunately we'll have to charge 3 gold bars per horse, as that's the amount it takes to actually breed them, with only a bit of extra. Or bring two golden carrots (or apples). We don't have much gold, so this is necessary for us.

EDIT EDIT: Shakey, your foal is all grown up now. He's the unnamed brown one with white 'socks.'
Sweet! Thanks. I'll get a pen for him built and come over to pick him up soon.

I have a building! Or a shell of one. Or most of a shell of one... I gutted another nether brick tower and still need more. :cry: Not very much though. Next comes the dangerous part.

Lots of activity today. The map for today should be interesting!

Can you whitelist TomarusAnguirel, please? I'll probably drop in from time to time, have a look around if nothing else. Don't have too much time to play right now, though.

My farm is somewhat productive. I did a "full harvest" and this is what resulted. This is after a full re-plant as well, so this is NET for things like potatoes, carrots, etc.

Yield:
  • 128 Wheat - 2 full stacks
  • 30 sugar cane
  • 86 seeds - yes this is net, AFTER re-planting & still had this many left
  • 4 Pumpkins
  • 60 Melon (wedges)
  • 63 potatoes
  • 42 Carrots
  • 14 Nether Wart
So ya. Pretty productive.

Can you whitelist TomarusAnguirel, please? I'll probably drop in from time to time, have a look around if nothing else. Don't have too much time to play right now, though.
You're good to go.

For anyone that doesn't have time to build, feel free to just hop in and chat. Maybe wander around and see the sights. Don't feel like you have to start a build if you log in.

New map of everyone's work from yesterday! 12-11-2013 Map

People are making some serious progress. The next one I'll try to put peoples names next to their build. Still looking for a freaking jungle.

Anyone have suggestions on what type of block would look good as a floor in my nether brick tower? I'm thinking something lighter in color. It can look a bit dreary.

Also, is the difficulty of the monsters high enough? I could crank it up a bit if people want more of a challenge.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think it's pretty cool how the new terrain generator now does the snow thing based on elevation rather than just deigning "it snows on this plain in particular."

I'm also reminded of my first structure on the old minecraft server, back when Noaxark ran it on his own PC before we moved to professional hosting. I built a tiny stone hovel in a forest near Moss, then under a secret tile in the floor in the corner of the pathetic hut, there was a ladder leading down to a passage that connected to the entrance... of a nuclear missile silo I built under Moss's front yard. It had a very "60's bond villain base" flavor to it, with the meeting room with the big table and chairs, living quarters, control/launch facilities with lots of levers and buttons, and of course, the 60 meter tall ICBM in the silo itself.

It was months before he found out about it. I think Bones or somebody ran an X-Ray cheat client and said out loud "Hey Moss, why did you build a missile under your base?" "WHAT?!"

Anyone have suggestions on what type of block would look good as a floor in my nether brick tower? I'm thinking something lighter in color. It can look a bit dreary.
Also, is the difficulty of the monsters high enough? I could crank it up a bit if people want more of a challenge.
Re: block type for floor - blocks of iron would be sweet (slightly pricey), or snow. Both would lighten the place up without a lot of added textures (that birtch planks or logs would bring).
Re: Mobs - I'm good! I leave enough Creeper Craters in my wake as it is.

Oh, and you are planning on putting a pulsing red eye on the top of your tower, right? Glass encased lava ball or something?

Nice new map Shakey. Please remember to update your first post in the thread with the newest & archived maps.

It's interesting to bring two of them up next to each other and see what's changed for people building, as well as what's changed on the edges of the map. Most notably Dave (I think) building to the far south (down and right in the image) between the two latest.

Also, I echo Dirona. Difficulty is about right. I don't play on harder then normal. Not as much fun IMO.

Also, could people please post their forum name and minecraft name? I know a lot have already, but I'd appreciate if Shakey could consolidate it and put it at the top of the thread. My memory for it is horrible and I'd like to be able to check back!

Edit: and on that note, I'm "eriolancalagon" in Minecraft. Though mine is one of the more obvious.

Glass encased lava ball or something?
Exactly. :D With lava flowing down the sides. We'll see how many times I can cover the landscape in lava trying to pull that off.

I've got a version of it built in a single player creative world I use for planning builds, but I haven't tried filling the glass ball yet.[DOUBLEPOST=1386874314,1386874179][/DOUBLEPOST]I was going to put a list with whitelisted names and their forum names in the original post, but never got to it. Thanks for reminding me.

Exactly. :D With lava flowing down the sides. We'll see how many times I can cover the landscape in lava trying to pull that off.
As someone who has played with lava filled items in the past, may I recommend working with water to start with? Far less deadly.