Halforum Minecraft Server

I didn't even see you down there @Dave. That is one heck of a haul. We'll have to set up a nether portal for you can get back and forth quicker and safer.

GasBandit

Staff member
Have they fixed the pairing of nether portals yet, or do you still have to break and rebuild them to get them to link properly?

I didn't have to break any portals to get mine to link up correctly. I built it initially, it went to Shakey's in the nether, then I built one "correctly" in the nether for mine, and it goes back & forth to mine fine, without breaking anything. And Shakey's still works fine too.

GasBandit

Staff member
Er, yeah, that's what I meant.. that they still initially all point at the same portal and you have to build the "correct" one. Wonder why they still haven't fixed that.

Er, yeah, that's what I meant.. that they still initially all point at the same portal and you have to build the "correct" one. Wonder why they still haven't fixed that.
My guess is they want it like that to prevent people from using it as an obsidian generator. Imagine making a portal, heading to the nether and making another portal 2 blocks away. Go through it and you'll have another portal generated in the regular world just 16 blocks away from the original. Break up the new one and head back through the original to the nether. Head back through the one you made in the nether, and another portal will be spawned in the regular world. Rinse and repeat.

By looking for and using other portals in a certain area and using them, you can't really do that.

Apparently jungles are quite a bit more scarce since the 1.7 update. That's kind of annoying.
People had complained that they were too common pre-1.7.

I have claimed a mountain S of spawn, don't remember the exact coordinates, but I am keeping its exterior unremarkable for right now.
It's all distance-based, so if two portals "solve" to the same location in the nether (or vice-versa) then you get funny linkages (or one-way portals).

--Patrick

It's not a bug that's why. Read this on the wiki: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Nether_Portal#Portal_Linkage_between_Overworld_and_Nether

Basically, portals aren't "destined" to go to one and only one exit each time. It does the search each and every time. It is also possible on a world with only one portal to travel to the nether, SEAL UP the original "spawn" location, die, and re-enter from earth, and it'll re-spawn somewhere else (possibly above/below the original). The linked page explains it pretty well.

But if you're looking for a "I create on earth, I want a new one in the nether every time" then that's not how it works. You can either break the old, as you were doing, or just build one with more obsidian, like I do typically.

GasBandit

Staff member
That seems to be a retroactive design decision based on being too lazy to fix them to how they would intuitively work, if you ask me.

Yeah, they always go to the "nearest neighbor," and apparently you can build a pretty quick fast travel solution if you take advantage of this, as you can make the two squares at the bottom of the portal each take you to someplace different in the overworld if you position them just right.
2-in-1 Nether Portals - It is possible to end up in a situation where a Nether Portal "randomly" places the player in 1 of 2 possible Normal World destination portals. This is simply because the Nether Portal has two effective coordinates as it is 2 blocks wide, say (X, Y, Z) on the left, and (X+1, Y, Z) on the right. If the player entered on the left side, (X, Y, Z) translates to (X*8, Y, Z*8) in the overworld and the game picks the portal closest to that. If the player entered on the right side, (X+1, Y, Z) translates to (X*8+8, Y, Z*8) and the game picks a portal closest to that point instead. This situation occurs when the Nether Portal's location is roughly equidistant between the 2 Normal World portals (within 8 blocks overworld distance difference). However, building 2 Nether Portals side by side is probably better for destination clarity than building a 2-in-1 portal. It is possible to span distances with pairs of portals in this way, though normally faster to simply walk through the Nether.
--Patrick

Thank you Shakey for giving me back my map. The server went down when i had it on the Anvil to re-name it so that it would be easier to identify than "Map #10". But then the server went down and it went POOF! So Shakey was able to console command the specific copy of the map (since it's a "special" server item) back. It was a maximum size map, 2048x2048 of the world. I had spent hours, and i'm not done. Here's a screenshot:
2013-12-12_22.31.22.png
So a bit more to fill in. Copies are available too. And they all update one another.

And a "local" map of around my place is right beside it. Item frames on the walls are great.

Last night was interesting. It seems like every time someone logged out, someone else logged in within a minute. I thought I could squeeze a restart in!

New picture from peoples progress yesterday. 12-12-2013 Map I added names near your builds. If I missed you, let me know. I'm not exactly sure where everyone is. I see @Dei made some good progress on her tower, and @Dave[DOUBLEPOST=1386960418,1386960225][/DOUBLEPOST]I also added @Eriol as an op in the server. So if you have any problems or need any help when I'm not on he should be able to help. He's been a huge help so far.

I also added @Eriol as an op in the server. So if you have any problems or need any help when I'm not on he should be able to help. He's been a huge help so far.
I aim to please!

I'm glad that my map filling-in didn't expand the server map much. Slightly, but more fill-in than anything.

I aim to please!

I'm glad that my map filling-in didn't expand the server map much. Slightly, but more fill-in than anything.
And still no Jungle! I might wander throught the nether for a ways in one direction, build a portal, and see where that plants me. Maybe we can find one if we get farther away. That doughnut hole is starting to bug me too.

So Shakey, how vanilla do you want this server? I recently found out quartz blocks are a thing, which would be perfect for my build, but I would need way more than a shitload. Any chance I could trade wool blocks (or something) for quartz blocks?

I have 16 dirt. I treasure them.

I know this will change later, but for now I ration it for my dirtevator needs.

EDIT: I'm about halfway between Dei and Dave, in the trio of hills.

--Patrick

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
I think I have close to a large chest filled with stacks of dirt.

Plunder as needed, just leave my 18 diamonds alone.

So Shakey, how vanilla do you want this server? I recently found out quartz blocks are a thing, which would be perfect for my build, but I would need way more than a shitload. Any chance I could trade wool blocks (or something) for quartz blocks?
I'd rather not. You give for someone, and everyone else wants it too. I don't even do that for myself. Quartz is pretty plentiful in the nether though, and it gives a ton of xp. I've still got a ton of obsidian from my mine if you want to build your own portal. We can sync it up like me and Eriol did too. That goes for everyone by the way. I think I've got 3 stacks of obsidian and still more to be mined...

Perfectly understandable. The only reason I asked is because it would not be particularly feasible to mine the amount I need. Ah well, wool it is then.

I'd rather not. You give for someone, and everyone else wants it too.
This makes me so happy. I don't even "cheat" on my own server except to balance out injustices (losses due to lag, teleporting people around to check out the Cool New Thing rather than having to run 20min through the Nether, etc).

Someone convinced me to import a large building full of chests of supplies and I relented...on the condition that I would hide it and make everyone have to find it. It has been almost 2 years now and it remains undiscovered. Even though I finally relented again and made the entrance easier to find, it is still undiscovered. Someday it will become a hive of activity, but not yet, and when its supplies are exhausted, it will not be refilled.

One of the other players asked me to import a structure* for him, and though I inspected all the chests, he managed to sneak in a bunch of stuff in picture frames (at the time I had not considered them as a potential smuggle vector). I know what I'm going to do about this, but he's still due his punishment.

--Patrick
*It was a pirate ship, of all things.

Actually, I forgot; netherrack breaks pretty fast. Anybody have a guess how quickly one could branch mine a full chunk in the nether?

It still wears your picks down at normal speed, so you clear it fast, but you go through picks really quickly, too.

--Patrick

It still wears your picks down at normal speed, so you clear it fast, but you go through picks really quickly, too.

--Patrick
I always use cobble picks for that. Sure you waste a bit of wood, but there's always a ton of cobble and the speed difference in mining netherrack is pretty small.[DOUBLEPOST=1386972783,1386972716][/DOUBLEPOST]
Actually, I forgot; netherrack breaks pretty fast. Anybody have a guess how quickly one could branch mine a full chunk in the nether?
Pretty damn quick. Just remember quartz doesn't spawn at the very top or very bottom.

Also remember that there are "asshole" lava source blocks in the land mass of the nether. So be careful when mining.

A little bird told me about where there's some other biomes:

Jungle: 4700, -1024
Mesa: -6040, -2200
Mushroom Island: -2500, -3200 - bring your own silk touch shovel

I'll start digging to the Jungle through the Nether in a bit. Going to get a good way to Dave's place first.

NEW FEATURE: Nether Transport System has opened. I have placed a portal extremely near the spawn house. Big enough tunnels for horses to run through (you have to use a lead to get them through, THEN mount them). Currently goes to Eriol's (West) and Shakey's (East) places in addition to the spawn hut. Will be expanding to Dave's (south) shortly. Person-sized tunnel to Nether Fortress previously made by Shakey is also functioning. Warning: don't take a horse to Shakey's place. It won't be able to get out. Poor horses.

And there's a cavern right under spawn. I have lit most of it up, but not 100%, and have left the vast majority of the resources. I put a sign right by the entrance, which is literally right next to the entrance to the hut. So if anybody wants to go through there when they're new on the server, you can get yourself some coal & iron right away. Veterans please mine your own places!

figmentPez

Staff member
I feel like I know nothing about Minecraft these days. I stopped playing before enchantments, most of the crops, abandoned mineshafts, etc. I may log in to the server just to look around, but what I really feel like doing is just some mindless tree farming.

I do miss the minecraft server stuff. can I be added to the whitelist?

I'm on there as twitchmoss, incidentally.
You're in!

I might be on later tonight, but I have to bottle up 100 bottles of beer. And that is not a quick project...

I would like to add a rail system in the nether tunnels eventually. That way you can load up chests and toss them in minecarts if you are making a big haul. Might be a bit easier than dragging a horse through the portal too.

Thanks for getting it all set up @Eriol!

I wouldn't mind looking around and maybe building a small hole somewhere. I'm logged in as MattGrub.
Thanks
Matt