[Movies] Guardians of the Galaxy

Well, since I didn't get to watch it all the first time it's guaranteed to make another $12 from me in the future. :cool:

You know Groot is the first super hero from Marvel to have truly weird biologically based super powers. So far all the others are just stronger tougher and powered by a machine.

Final caught it. I'm going to echo what others have said: this is probably the best Marvel movie to date, mostly because it wasn't constrained in the story telling the same way that other Marvel movies have been. Personally, I think this is because the Guardians don't need a lot of back story beyond a few lines each. You also don't need to see how these people become "special", because what makes them special isn't what they do, but why they do it. As such, the origin story can move along at a faster pace and can include a lot more stuff. It's the difference between telling me what your characters can do and telling me who they are.

It's a complete different feel than the Avengers, despite ostensibly being the same story: a group of talented people get together to stop a great evil. This is because the Guardians of the Galaxy never, EVER put on the air of superiority that the Avengers did. They never, EVER pretend they are heroes, despite trying to do the right thing in the end. They are in this for personal reasons and it's only the realization of the scope of the threat that gets them to do the right thing. It's just a more natural story than what came before.

Damn, how did Green Lantern cost $200m ?
Allegedly, they spent a LOT more on it than they're saying. There's reports it cost closer to $300 mil. They put it back into post-production close to release date, trying to spruce up the special effects or something. How much of that's true, I don't know.

So, what wrong lesson do you think Warner Bros, Fox, and DC are going to take from GotG being a smash hit?

So, what wrong lesson do you think Warner Bros, Fox, and DC are going to take from GotG being a smash hit?
Probably not "make a good movie that people find fun for all ages and genders and people will watch it"

Most likely, "we need cheesy 70's music and more aliens!"

Probably not "make a good movie that people find fun for all ages and genders and people will watch it"

Most likely, "we need cheesy 70's music and more aliens!"
And everything they try to mimic from Guardians of the Galaxy will come out wrong and terrible. Music is just a bit off, alien designs are super gritty.

Little kid shouts Shazam, turns into The Rock.

That'd be hilarious.
It very well may happen. I mean it's confirmed he's playing someone who "can go toe to toe with Superman", and who we haven't seen before. And right before ComicCon he did an interview where he very carefully stepped around saying who he was playing, then finished with "Just.... say the word." So it's gotta be eithe Black Adam or Shazam.

Last edited:
It very well may happen. I mean it's confirmed he's playing someone who "can go toe to toe with Superman", and who we haven't seen before. And right before ComicCon he did an interview where he very carefully stepped around saying who he was playing, then finished with "Just.... say the word." So it's gotta be eithe Black Adam or Shazam.
See above. :facepalm:

Shazam is the old guy with the beard. End of story.

See above. :facepalm:
Yeah, I saw. That has nothing to do with the reply to Zero Esc though, so...... what's your point?
Shazam is the old guy with the beard. End of story.
I'm aware of that.
I wasn't talking to you though, so why you are reacting with a facepalm remains a mystery. Especially since what I said in no way contradicts what Zero Esc said.
I'm also aware that DC officially changed his name years ago, and that when they make the movie, he will be called Shazam, not Captain Marvel.

Yeah, I saw. That has nothing to do with the reply to Zero Esc though, so...... what's your point?

I'm aware of that.
I wasn't talking to you though, so why you are reacting with a facepalm remains a mystery. Especially since what I said in no way contradicts what Zero Esc said.
I'm also aware that DC officially changed his name years ago, and that when they make the movie, he will be called Shazam, not Captain Marvel.
Excuse me? If you didn't want anyone but Zero Esc to respond to what you said, why didn't you PM him, then?

You called him Shazam. I'm aware DC changed the name, if only to keep lawyers happy and paid. Doesn't make it any less stupid. He's been Captain Marvel since 1940. He was Captain Marvel when he came back in the early 70s.

Captain Marvel was the first comic book hero I read as a kid. I don't have to accept a needless name change just because a faceless conglomerate with more attorneys than brains says so.

GasBandit

Staff member
Saw this on imgur...

And absolutely had to make this.

The first time I've (semi-) successfully merged two gifs. Photoshopping was a struggle.

Excuse me? If you didn't want anyone but Zero Esc to respond to what you said, why didn't you PM him, then?

You called him Shazam. I'm aware DC changed the name, if only to keep lawyers happy and paid. Doesn't make it any less stupid. He's been Captain Marvel since 1940. He was Captain Marvel when he came back in the early 70s.

Captain Marvel was the first comic book hero I read as a kid. I don't have to accept a needless name change just because a faceless conglomerate with more attorneys than brains says so.
Well, MY Captain Marvel wields the Nega Bands and is Kree :p

Shhh, don't tell anyone, but GotG2 will feature a certain super heroine with intergalatic space powers that might just get her own movie the following November. Just sayin.

Now how big of a stretch would it be to make Doctor Strange one of the worlds greatest heart surgeons instead of a brain surgeon. Because we all know a certain super hero that is rich enough with ongoing heart issues that could lead to a tie in.

Also, Baby Groot is awesome.

and now I make my escape to the Pina Colada song.

Well, since everything is apparently about me (somehow, I always knew ...), though I knew his name was Captain Marvel, I've seen more of him as Shazam and assumed he just inherited the role from the wizard. And I have no problem with his being Shazam, so he can be Shazam.

It is decided.

We don't have a good emoticon for that.