Green Day - Uno!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zappit

Staff member
Picked it up today, and listening to it as I type.

It is good. GD has gone back to their punk roots, trying to recapture the old magic of Dookie. They don't quite hit that, and I'd rank this one up with Nimrod, enjoyable all the way through. Really does have the same feel as Nimrod.

The nice part is that this sounds like Green Day. While I did enjoy American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown, those were more ambitious and theatrical albums, and lacked that punk feeling. Uno! does not do that, though there is a hint of it here and there.

Let me put it this way. If you told me this album came out a little while after Dookie, I could believe it. It's the old sound, the one we were hoping they'd go back to. Since they recorded Dos! And Tres! At the same time, those purchases will be no-brainers for me.

I'm acutally kind of excited about this. I've really enjoyed the songs I've heard so far, and...I'm a pretty ridiculous fan of theirs - I've loved all of their albums, including the rock operas.

I was actually talking to Nate about this yesterday and how amazed I am that still, after so many years, they're still putting out music. Makes me happy.

Our enjoyment of Green Day was acutally one of the first things Nate and I found out we had in common.

Anyways, I'm interested to see if the sound stays similar throughout all three albums. Regardless, I'm hoping to buy this in the next couple of days.

Dave

Staff member
Yay! Someone paid me some $$ they owed me! I got Green Day AND Mumford! I am happy and in the middle of transferring everything to iPod now.

Since when was Green Day a punk band?
If you listen to their first few albums - up to at least Dookie, maybe even Insomniac - they were pretty heavy on punk elements. They shifted away from it pretty hard after that, but saying they were never a punk band is dismissing where they started.

Zappit

Staff member
Yay! Someone paid me some $$ they owed me! I got Green Day AND Mumford! I am happy and in the middle of transferring everything to iPod now.
I hadn't used my iPod for awhile before getting the same two albums, mostly due to putting Pandora on my iPad. Took the better part of a frickin' hour just to update everything and transfer app files to and fro.

Necronic

Staff member
If you listen to their first few albums - up to at least Dookie, maybe even Insomniac - they were pretty heavy on punk elements. They shifted away from it pretty hard after that, but saying they were never a punk band is dismissing where they started.
Just because Green Day used punk elements doesn't mean they were ever a punk band. Don't get me wrong, Green Day is a VERY good band. But they are a pop band. If you want to call Green Day punk we may as well throw in Blink 182 as well.

It's a point of contention that may just belie my own pretension, but I've never felt that a band that runs straight to MTV with their first album, or affects a british accent to garner cred, or is focused on the "fashion" of punk, could ever be a punk band. They were one of the first in a frustrating wave of pop-punk that kind of signalled the death-through-success of the 80's punk scene.

Like I said though, very good pop band. But not a punk band.

Just because Green Day used punk elements doesn't mean they were ever a punk band. Don't get me wrong, Green Day is a VERY good band. But they are a pop band. If you want to call Green Day punk we may as well throw in Blink 182 as well.

It's a point of contention that may just belie my own pretension, but I've never felt that a band that runs straight to MTV with their first album, or affects a british accent to garner cred, or is focused on the "fashion" of punk, could ever be a punk band. They were one of the first in a frustrating wave of pop-punk that kind of signalled the death-through-success of the 80's punk scene.

Wow... now I know what I sound like when I'm bitching about heavy metal... ;)

You're still dismissing the two albums that came out before Dookie.

Zappit

Staff member
When they were just breaking in, they were darlings of the punk scene on the west coast. The first two albums were very much punk, the same stuff they were playing in the clubs. Know what happened when they got picked up by a label and made the albums with those songs they played in the clubs? They suffered a backlash from those fans for "selling out". Mind you, same material, same attitude, just getting paid. Now those clubs had Green Day death threats scrawled on the bathroom walls, and they're scorned.

I don't blame them for transitioning more toward rock. Why be loyal to those pricks? The next few albums were like a giant middle finger to those fans that turned, which in itself is actually kinda punk.

Some of the songs sound good, some not so much. I'll pick up a few singles when I got more cash, but I won't buy the whole album. I did notice that they had worked back towards a sound similar to Dookie, which is a good thing.

Is it just me, or did everyone between the ages of 25 and 35 (now) own Dookie? It's one of those albums everyone seems to own or owned in the past.

Zappit

Staff member
Yeah, I think they do. That was one of the biggest albums of my lifetime, because I honestly didn't know anyone who didn't have it for a few years. We're right in that age window.

Yeah, I owned it, and just about everyone I knew did too.[DOUBLEPOST=1348800021][/DOUBLEPOST]Actually come to think of it, I think that was the first album I ever got that wasn't just mirroring the music my parents listened to.

Vrii said:
Actually come to think of it, I think that was the first album I ever got that wasn't just mirroring the music my parents listened to.
Same here. I got Dookie and Smash by The Offspring as birthday gifts

Status
Not open for further replies.