Got my new toy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never even held a gun. Though I wouldn't mind trying at a shooting range or something, just for the experience of it.

That said, I'd be more impressed if hunters were able to take down their prey with just their bare hands.

Because I thought you were "that guy" Also, hear about the guy that got arrested and had his house searched (in Canada) because he daughter drew a picture of a gun
Did ya hear about the times some peeps went crazy and murdered a bunch of students?

fade

Staff member
The problem with that is that you can only fire at the clay targets 3 times, and reloading takes about 12 hours. Maybe four times when you're a teenager.

As a Canadian, I think it's dumb as shit to be legally able to own anything more than a standard handgun.

GasBandit

Staff member
As a Canadian, I think it's dumb as shit to be legally able to own anything more than a standard handgun.
Yeah, and when I was 12 and living with my parents, I thought you'd have to be an insane masochist to have a full time job. :smug:

LOL!

Soooooo defensive. Including the little boys who press the little icons to passive aggressive support. And you wonder why my original picture still stands tall.

Anyways, got better things than to do.

GasBandit

Staff member
LOL!

Soooooo defensive. Including the little boys who press the little icons to passive aggressive support. And you wonder why my original picture still stands tall.

Anyways, got better things than to do.
Sure you do.

Anyway, I do have to actually admit that the vast majority of Americans don't understand the real point of the second amendment of the US Constitution. But that doesn't support a scared canuckistanian's gun phobia ;)

I can't say, as a Canuckistanian, that I have a gun phobia (other than the wholly rationally response to one being fired at me). I don't think I'd ever want to own one like the OP though. But that's just because everyone knows all the cool villains only use handguns.

I'm from Canada and I love target shooting. I've fired lots of different guns and I plan on owning a few myself when I have the disposable income for them. I don't fear guns but I also have a very healthy respect for them and strongly believe in proper training, regular practice and proper storage.

The rules on handguns here are pretty draconian so I likely won't be getting one those... just long guns and shotguns.

As someone who has never touched a gun in his life, it's something I've always considered learning for the following reasons:
  • It is far, far, far from the stupidest thing to be basically competent at
  • I've been told it's quite fun once you know how to not be an immediate danger to people around you
I'm probably never going to own one, but I'd still like to learn.
Any general suggestions from the more experienced here?

Sure you do.

Anyway, I do have to actually admit that the vast majority of Americans don't understand the real point of the second amendment of the US Constitution. But that doesn't support a scared canuckistanian's gun phobia ;)
I bet it's in the constitution to give we the people the people the power to fight the government in the event that they become corrupt and begin to oppress us, basically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can understand how shooting would be fun. I just don't have time to get my license or shoot. For now this is the only gun I have time to shoot:
wirewrap gun.jpg

GasBandit

Staff member
I bet it's in the constitution to give we the people the people the power to fight the government in the event that they become corrupt and begin to oppress us, basically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quite so. It has jack to do with hunting, or burglars, or anything like that. It's about making the government hesitant to attempt to oppress an armed populace (or fend off invasion if things get really bad).

I hate being on Jay's side of this argument, but here we are

and the 2nd Amendment stopped being relevant sometime after we spent our first billion on killing other people and should have been repealed sometime around when we developed the atom bomb

GasBandit

Staff member
I hate being on Jay's side of this argument, but here we are

and the 2nd Amendment stopped being relevant sometime after we spent our first billion on killing other people and should have been repealed sometime around when we developed the atom bomb
Because a nuclear scorched earth campaign against your own country is a reasonable expectation? There's such thing as an oppressive government that isn't necessarily run by a supervillain who wants a self destruct button.

fade

Staff member
I don't have a problem with gun ownership per se, but I do have a problem with most of the dumb reasons people come up with for justifying ownership. Hell, I'd find "because it's cool" more compelling that most of the drawn out rationalization I hear.

"i have to protect myself from the corrupt government. they will have my cheeto-stained army-surplus gear over my dead, cheeto-stained body."

I don't have a problem with gun ownership per se, but I do have a problem with most of the dumb reasons people come up with for justifying ownership. Hell, I'd find "because it's cool" more compelling that most of the drawn out rationalization I hear.
I love to shoot, it's fun, but I do have my CHL and carry a .45 or .40 (depending on my mood) regularly in the one in a million chance I do ever get robbed and have the opportunity to defend myself or my family, because on the slight chance (because crime falling in the US) that we do get robbed I won't leave my family's well being in the hands of someone other than me or my wife.

GasBandit

Staff member
"i have to protect myself from the corrupt government. they will have my cheeto-stained army-surplus gear over my dead, cheeto-stained body."
Actually, we've fought two wars about 110 years apart over more or less that. Which means we're rather overdue for the next one.

I bet the Libya and Syrian people were thinking the same thing when they overthrew their corrupt government.... Well the Syrians are still fighting, but I hope you get my point.

Actually, we've fought two wars about 110 years apart over more or less that. Which means we're rather overdue for the next one.
So ugh, what about Korean, Vietnam, the Golf War and whatever the fuck's being going on in the middle east the last 10 years or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.