[NCAAF] Goodbye Joe Pa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
He reported the incident as soon as he found out. He's being drummed out because he didn't follow up? Huh. In a way I can see that but at the same time he can't take care of everything. He put it into the hands of the guys who were supposed to take care of it and instead they swept it under the rug and lied, potentially hurting more kids.

I don't think he should lose his job over this and I can see him giving up and being dead within a year because of it.

The problem is the board of trusties losing support for him because of the tarnished image of the school under his watch. So the real reason Joe Pa is leaving is ironically the thing that he brought the most of to the school's athletic program -$$$$$$$ I really don't understand it either. I just Sandusky gets hung by his balls with rusty fishhooks.

He did the right thing, he just did not do it to a degree to keep everybody happy. It is a terrible end to a career of a very honorable man. He devoted his entire adult life to that University. It will be sad when Penn State starts shuffling through head coaches on 5 year basis.

Joe Paterno is a piece of shit. He knew what Sandusky was when he forced him out in 98 and did nothing. I hope he's tortured the rest of his days by knowing he could have stopped so much pain and anguish if he could have just been a better man.

Joe Paterno is a piece of shit. He knew what Sandusky was when he forced him out in 98 and did nothing. I hope he's tortured the rest of his days by knowing he could have stopped so much pain and anguish if he could have just been a better man.
You know that for sure? Because if you don't, shut the fuck up.

I guarantee you are not half the honorable man that Joe Pa is.

He did enough that he doesn't deserve to go to jail, but for someone who so much of his reputation was based on morals and character, he came up way too short.

Let's use Charlie Logic:

The victims' parents are pieces of shit. They knew what Sandusky was when the shit went down in 98, called the police, filed a report, and then did nothing. I hope they're tortured the rest of their days by knowing they could have stopped so much pain and anguish if they could have just been a better parents.

Anyone else we want to pawn the blame off to except for Jerry Sandusky?

Oh wait. Charlie. I'm pretty sure Jerry Sandusky is a poor, tortured good-hearted man who ran into problems in his life that turned him to raping young boys. I really hope he doesn't have to go to jail for his crimes because deep down he's a human being, and no human being needs to go to jail.

A chronological look at the case against former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, based on a grand jury report in Pennsylvania state court. Some key dates in Penn State football history are included. Sandusky has been charged with 40 criminal counts, accusing him of serial sex abuse of minors.
___
1969 – Jerry Sandusky starts his coaching career at Penn State University as a defensive line coach.
1977 – Jerry Sandusky founds The Second Mile. It begins as a group foster home dedicated to helping troubled boys and grows into a charity dedicated to helping children with absent or dysfunctional families.
January 1983 – Associated Press voters select Penn State as college football's national champion for the 1982 season.
January 1987 – Associated Press voters select Penn State as college football's national champion for the 1986 season.
1994 – Boy known as Victim 7 in the report meets Sandusky through The Second Mile program at about the age of 10.
1994-95 – Boy known as Victim 6 meets Sandusky at a Second Mile picnic at Spring Creek Park when he is 7 or 8 years old.
1995-96 – Boy known as Victim 5, meets Sandusky through The Second Mile when he is 7 or 8, in second or third grade.
1996-97 – Boy known as Victim 4, at the age of 12 or 13, meets Sandusky while he is in his second year participating in The Second Mile program.
1996-98 – Victim 5 is taken to the locker rooms and showers at Penn State by Sandusky when he is 8 to 10 years old.
Jan. 1, 1998 – Victim 4 is listed, along with Sandusky's wife, as a member of Sandusky's family party for the 1998 Outback Bowl.
1998 – Victim 6 is taken into the locker rooms and showers when he is 11 years old. When Victim 6 is dropped off at home, his hair is wet from showering with Sandusky. His mother reports the incident to the university police, who investigate.
Detective Ronald Schreffler testifies that he and State College Police Department Detective Ralph Ralston, with the consent of the mother of Victim 6, eavesdrop on two conversations the mother of Victim 6 has with Sandusky. Sandusky says he has showered with other boys and Victim 6's mother tries to make Sandusky promise never to shower with a boy again but he will not. At the end of the second conversation, after Sandusky is told he cannot see Victim 6 anymore, Schreffler testifies Sandusky says, "I understand. I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won't get it from you. I wish I were dead."
Jerry Lauro, an investigator with the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, testifies he and Schreffler interviewed Sandusky, and that Sandusky admits showering naked with Victim 6, admits to hugging Victim 6 while in the shower and admits that it was wrong.
The case is closed after then-Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar decides there will be no criminal charge.
June 1999 – Sandusky retires from Penn State but still holds emeritus status.
Dec. 28, 1999 – Victim 4 is listed, along with Sandusky's wife, as a member of Sandusky's family party for the 1999 Alamo Bowl.
Summer 2000 – Boy known as Victim 3 meets Sandusky through The Second Mile when he is between seventh and eighth grade.
Fall 2000 – A janitor named James Calhoun observes Sandusky in the showers of the Lasch Football Building with a young boy, known as Victim 8, pinned up against the wall, performing oral sex on the boy. He tells other janitorial staff immediately. Fellow Office of Physical Plant employee Ronald Petrosky cleans the showers at Lasch and sees Sandusky and the boy, who he describes as being between the ages of 11 and 13.
Calhoun tells other physical plant employees what he saw, including Jay Witherite, his immediate supervisor. Witherite tells him to whom he should report the incident. Calhoun was a temporary employee and never makes a report. Victim 8's identity is unknown.
March 1, 2002 – A Penn State graduate assistant enters the locker room at the Lasch Football Building. In the showers, he sees a naked boy, known as Victim 2, whose age he estimates to be 10 years old, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky. The graduate assistant tells his father immediately.
March 2, 2002 – In the morning, the graduate assistant calls Coach Joe Paterno and goes to Paterno's home, where he reports what he has seen.
March 3, 2002 – Paterno calls Tim Curley, Penn State Athletic Director to his home the next day and reports a version of what the grad assistant had said.
March 2002 – Later in the month the graduate assistant is called to a meeting with Curley and Senior Vice President for Finance and Business Gary Schultz. The grad assistant reports what he has seen and Curley and Schultz say they will look into it.
March 27, 2002 (approximate) – The graduate assistant hears from Curley. He is told that Sandusky's locker room keys are taken away and that the incident has been reported to The Second Mile. The graduate assistant is never questioned by university police and no other entity conducts an investigation until the graduate assistant testifies in Grand Jury in December 2010.
2005-2006 – Boy known as Victim 1 says that meets Sandusky through The Second Mile at age 11 or 12.
Spring 2007 – During the 2007 track season, Sandusky begins spending time with Victim 1 weekly, having him stay overnight at his residence in College Township, Pa.
Spring 2008 – Termination of contact with Victim 1 occurs when he is a freshman in a Clinton County high school. After the boy's mother calls the school to report sexual assault, Sandusky is barred from the school district attended by Victim 1 from that day forward and the matter is reported to authorities as mandated by law.
Early 2009 – An investigation by the Pennsylvania attorney general begins when a Clinton County, Pa. teen boy tells authorities that Sandusky has inappropriately touched him several times over a four-year period.
September 2010 – Sandusky retires from day-to-day involvement with The Second Mile, saying he wants to spend more time with family and handle personal matters.
Nov. 5, 2011 – Sandusky is arrested and released on $100,000 bail after being arraigned on 40 criminal counts.
Nov. 7, 2011 – Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly says Paterno is not a target of the investigation into how the school handled the accusations. But she refuses to say the same for university President Graham Spanier. Curley and Schultz, who have stepped down from their positions, surrender on charges that they failed to alert police to complaints against Sandusky.
Nov. 8, 2011 – Possible ninth victim of Sandusky contacts state police as calls for ouster of Paterno and Spanier grow in state and beyond. Penn State abruptly cancels Paterno's regular weekly press conference.
Nov. 9, 2011 – Paterno announces he'll retire at the end of the season
Tell me HOW THE FUCK THIS IS PATERNO'S FAULT?!?

The only other people who should be punished besides Sandusky would be Curley and Schultz. They are the ones who failed to report this to anyone above them or the police, and it seems evident they tried to cover everything up. Paterno probably should have contacted the police, but at least he contacted someone. You can't say the same for the other two.

D

Disconnected

I don't know joe or this situation beyond mass media, and from that info I would say something close to calling joe paterno a piece of shit but being the media-distrusting type i am these days I reserve judgement for... you know... facts.

tl;dr I have nothing to add.

I don't see where in that timeline Joe Paterno told the police someone he knew was raping young boys.

Also, I'm not on Sandusky's side in any of this, he should/will go to jail for a while for what he did. Just because I'm not going to say something barbaric like "if it were my kid I'd nail his cock to the wall and pour acid in his anus!!!!" doesn't mean I condone him, fuck.

I never said I was a better person than JoePa, but I do know that if I saw ANYONE ON THE WHOLE FUCKING EARTH raping a child I would tell the fucking police.

Joe never saw Sandusky raping a child. A student saw the act and Joe got the witness to tell the AD and the Vice President of the University (a university with its own police force.) I guess he should have done more than the right thing.

Regardless, this wasn't Sandusky's first incident, and he assumedly would have noticed when nothing happened and Sandusky kept roaming the halls. I also come down hard on McQueery, who actually SAW the thing. He is also a piece of shit.

These last two posts are why I come here. Bravo to both Charlie and Adammon for the set up and delivery, which I assume was planned carefully over the last few months.

I started and stopped a post in support of Mathias and the other Penn State players, students, and alums three different times this morning. Not only because I had no fucking idea what I wanted to write beyond that, but because I knew this was where any thread on the situation would go.

Here's what I know. A PSU grad burned his diploma in front of their admin building yesterday. Folks who should have no reason to be are now ashamed of their school. and that's wrong. It hurts, and I'm not even associated with Penn State. The WVU-PSU rivalry still means something down here.

Justice will be done. The courts will have their say. In the meantime I stand with those who want to believe in their school again.

Stay strong, neighbor.

I'm confused, I keep reading conflicting stuff on this. Lots of seemingly respected people are saying this guy was helping to hide a child rapist and others are saying at most he just found out about it and did the right thing. Whats the real story here?

Dave

Staff member
The grand jury information is still sealed, but it's rumored that he knew what had happened but instead of going to the cops he contacted the head of the university and then washed his hands of the whole thing.

The grand jury information is still sealed, but it's rumored that he knew what had happened but instead of going to the cops he contacted the head of the university and then washed his hands of the whole thing.
People seem to be indicating that he's known for a long time though, is there any proof of that or are they just speculating?

Dave

Staff member
Mostly speculation, although several things in the indictment has attributions to him, but they are all third person attributions, not first person.

Straight from the grand jury report:

It was about 9:30 p.m. As the graduate assistant entered the locker room doors, he was surprised to find the lights and showers on. He then heard rhythmic, slapping sounds. He believed the sounds to be those of sexual activity. As the graduate assistant put the sneakers in his locker, he looked into the shower. He saw a naked boy, Victim 2, whose age he estimated to be ten years old, with his hands up against the wall, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky.
Joseph V. Paterno testified to receiving the graduate assistant's report at his home on a Saturday morning. Paterno testified that the graduate assistant was very upset. Paterno called Tim Curley ("Curley"), Penn State Athletic Director and Paterno's immediate superior, to his home the very next day, a Sunday, and reported to him that the graduate assistant had seen Jerry Sandusky in the Lasch Building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy.
The graduate assistant reported to Curley and Schultz that he had witnessed what he believed to be Sandusky having anal sex with a boy in the Lasch Building showers.

This was in 2002. The absolute least egregious, best case, benefit of the doubt spin you can put on this is Joe Paterno knew his assistant was in the showers naked, late at night with a 10-year old, 'horsing around.'

More likely they knew earlier than that. Again, from the grand jury report:

"Sandusky admitted showering naked with Victim 6, admitted to hugging Victim 6 while in the shower and admitted it was wrong."

This happened in a locker room in '98. I read some speculation that the resulting investigation is what lead to Sandusky retiring in '99 despite being a top assistant coach. After retiring, Sandusky was given an emeritus position, which allowed him access to the buildings on campus. He used that access to (allegedly) blow a kid in the showers:

"In the fall of 2000, a janitor named James "Jim" Calhoun ("Jim") observed Sandusky in the showers of the Lasch Building with a young boy pinned up against the wall, performing oral sex on the boy."

Now, this incident never got reported, because although Jim related the incident to his immediate supervisor, the supervisor passed the buck and informed Jim "to whom he should report the incident, if he chose to report it." For whatever reason, Jim never contacted anybody else about it on the record. That supervisor is named Jay Witherite, by the way. Clearly a forthright man of honor and integrity.

Joe never saw Sandusky raping a child. A student saw the act and Joe got the witness to tell the AD and the Vice President of the University (a university with its own police force.) I guess he should have done more than the right thing.
Not just a student. McQueery who following the incident in the shower rose to a position of prominence in the Penn state system.

Look I feel as bad as anybody that Joe Pa's career ended in such a manner that wiped out his entire life's work but it was his chickens coming home to roost for not caring that Sandusky was hurting kids.

Dave

Staff member
WARNING: Bad and tasteless joke alert!!

Makes me feel bad that I said, "Penn State beat Iowa like a 10 year old boy in a shower."

Status
Not open for further replies.