[News] Glenn Beck starting a Libertarian Paradise in Texas - he's gone Galt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how all of these Galt projects in the media seem to rely on the idea that their literal tax-haven is going to become a Mecca to the faithful.

GasBandit

Staff member
Maaan, I wanted to come here and start a thread about this. Doh well.

As for would I go live there? Eh, let me know if they get that force field up, first. Otherwise, it's not smart to be the nail that sticks up the farthest right now.

Maaan, I wanted to come here and start a thread about this. Doh well.

As for would I go live there? Eh, let me know if they get that force field up, first. Otherwise, it's not smart to be the nail that sticks up the farthest right now.
Well, it's hardly a new idea.

http://www.fastcoexist.com/1678720/...-start-libertarian-utopias-in-honduran-jungle

Also, there's the "Citadel": http://gawker.com/5975573/glenn-bec...ounced-plans-for-a-libertarian-commune-better[DOUBLEPOST=1358200132][/DOUBLEPOST]And this gutsy microstate is still at war with East Germany. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Molossia

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm not convinced that any nation, be it the US or Honduras or other, would really tolerate an independent entity within their borders if the chips really came down.

It probably depends how independent they are and what they're planning to do.

I feel like the US government would have far fewer problems with GlennBeckistan than it did with the Republic of New Afrika.

Zappit

Staff member
Man loves his country enough to build a separate country to avoid it, cut off media connections with it, rewrite its history, and reject its infrastructure. That's a patriot right there. I can only assume that his plan to show leaders "the truth" is a reeducation camp meant to subvert the American government...The GlennBeckian Candidate?

But damn, will he have to shill a lot of gold to raise that two billion.

That's a patriot right there. I can only assume that his plan to show leaders "the truth" is a reeducation camp meant to subvert the American government...The GlennBeckian Candidate?
No, no, only liberals have re-education camps. They're called public schools. /s

I'm not convinced that any nation, be it the US or Honduras or other, would really tolerate an independent entity within their borders if the chips really came down.
Depends on your definition. South Africa seems to do just fine with Lesotho and Swaziland.

Best case scenario? Glenn Beck humiliates himself with this and we all get a laugh.
Worst case scenario? Glenn Beck forms a cult, is a little too clever with the Kool-Aid and Nikes, then leaves the rest of us alone.

I really don't see how we lose with this.

GasBandit

Staff member
Best case scenario? Glenn Beck humiliates himself with this and we all get a laugh.
Worst case scenario? Glenn Beck forms a cult, is a little too clever with the Kool-Aid and Nikes, then leaves the rest of us alone.

I really don't see how we lose with this.
Even worse scenario - Ruby Ridge 1992.

I don't think that happens. The guy has more of a Jim Jones vibe going on.
Exactly. Glenn Beck has gone off the reservation, but his ego is massive and would never accept this kind of failure. He'd drink the Kool-Aid long before the Feds ever stormed the place... and that's assuming he didn't just blame it on FAKE AMERICA.

Seeing as how GlennBeckistan is supposed to be a libertarian Disneyland, I suspect he would welcome federal agents in and give them a coupon for the museum.

Oh man whoever gets the contract to supply chalkboards and chalk to this tiny yet proud new nation is gonna be soooooooo rich.

Exactly. Glenn Beck has gone off the reservation, but his ego is massive and would never accept this kind of failure. He'd drink the Kool-Aid long before the Feds ever stormed the place... and that's assuming he didn't just blame it on FAKE AMERICA.
I think you mean he's gone on the reservation :rimshot:

Status
Not open for further replies.