Gimme some advice on making lasagna

I'm making a vegetarian mushroom lasagna and I'm torn on whether I should brown the mushroom before plopping them into the lasagna layers or just putting them in raw and letting them cook and release their mushroomy juices into the lasagna as it cooks. I can't find any real advice on this.

What do you folk think?

I'm making a vegetarian mushroom lasagna and I'm torn on whether I should brown the mushroom before plopping them into the lasagna layers or just putting them in raw and letting them cook and release their mushroomy juices into the lasagna as it cooks. I can't find any real advice on this.

What do you folk think?
I personally would brown them and use that liquid in the sauce, but I've also never made lasagna before so don't listen to me

figmentPez

Staff member
Cook them first. 1. you'll benefit from any browning you can get in the pan. 2. mushrooms are almost impossible to overcook. 3. Too much liquid is the bane of a good lasagna.

You can roast the mushroom in the oven too. The slightly dried mushrooms will soak up the tomato sauce while cooking in the lasagna. Definitely try to cook some of the water out of them.

While I'm not entirely sure, it would seem the general consensus is that it would be a good idea to brown or roast them to get some of the fluids out.