GIF thread

fade

Staff member
This thread kills my browser on both mobile and desktop versions of Chrome. How are you guys dealing with it? I haven't even clicked on it in a while.

To be fair, it's not just this website.

This thread kills my browser on both mobile and desktop versions of Chrome. How are you guys dealing with it? I haven't even clicked on it in a while.

To be fair, it's not just this website.
Pray, hope, love.

Also, yes, pages with lots of gifs get torturous.

Dave

Staff member
Should we lock it and start a new one? Or is it that the individual pages are causing issues?

it's laggy and slow to me, but it loads.

I was just thinking the other day that all GIF threads should have all the gifs behind spoiler tags to prevent the inevitable network constipation.

it's laggy and slow to me, but it loads.

I was just thinking the other day that all GIF threads should have all the gifs behind spoiler tags to prevent the inevitable network constipation.
I think an update a year or two ago makes all the spoilered material load anyways.

Should we lock it and start a new one? Or is it that the individual pages are causing issues?
It's the individual pages, plus people quoting the gifs in replies. Once the NSFW gif thread ticked over to a new page, performance immediately improved.

Dave

Staff member
I wonder if I can set that thread to be X pages instead of the default 35. Let me check.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah that's what I meant. And I can't. I can set the number of posts per page for the whole board but not individual subs or threads. Let me see if there's anything else I could do.

Yeah that's what I meant. And I can't. I can set the number of posts per page for the whole board but not individual subs or threads. Let me see if there's anything else I could do.
Is there anything that converts a(n animated) gif into a jpeg or something for the quoted version? We have the ability to do preview/thumbnail, so it should at least be possible...

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, I looked into changing the posts-per-page limit for that thread the last time we had this discussion. Couldn't find a way to do it.

But just recently, I do think we had a breakthrough when I discovered that quoting a gif/gifv/mp4 caused a massive resource drain (I am guessing because of the resizing and transparency/fading involved), so if people can avoid including the gifs and whatnot in their quote, it should help a lot.

GasBandit

Staff member
I meant more for the forum itself.
Nope. The only reason GIFVs and MP4s and WEBMs work at all on the forum is already because of a plugin. And believe me, they hamper system performance waaaay less than actual vanilla GIFs.

Last edited: