Getting started with helping people

fade

Staff member
I really would like to volunteer somehow. But I don't really know how to get started. I'm ashamed to admit I've never really done it, but I want to very much. I don't even know where to begin, though. Can anyone help me help others?

I've tried some of the recommended sites, but most of those seem to be for very narrow, specific volunteer jobs. I'm looking to walk in some place and tell them I'm here to help, use me how you can.

I should say, I've found some places like that, but most of them are religious affiliations. I'd rather remain secular in my volunteer work. It's not a requirement, but I have no wish to proselytize or be preached to or pressured into joining the organization.

As for where I'd like to volunteer? I'd like to do something to help with the rampant homelessness here in Houston. I'd also like to help mentor young people who might want some encouragement.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
It may do a lot more good to find additional part-time work and donate the proceeds to charities that do work in the areas that concern you--charities usually need funding more than they need manpower (unless you have the specific skills they need but cannot afford at market rate).

If you're willing to compromise your (current) concern issues, take a look at GiveWell's current charity roster. The intent is to maximize the positive human impact per dollar.

Of course, working more and transferring money out of your bank account probably won't feel as good as hands-on.

Call up your local
* hospital
* animal shelter
* soup kitchen
* food gatherers
* homeless shelter
* community center
* senior center
* job search center
* city (council/gov't/etc)
* park service
* boys/girls club
* ymca
* habitat for humanity
* retirement home
* museums
* political campaigns
* red cross
* hacker/maker space

ask if they have need for volunteers.

If you specifically want to fight homelessness, I'd suggest first checking out local organizations that help people find jobs - you'd be well suited to helping people learn how to present themselves in their best light, how to format resumes, interview training, etc. If not that, then helping with food and shelter is useful, and while not as permanent as job support is certainly as necessary. Beyond that I'd target youth organizations - become a mentor, merit badge counselor, big brother, etc and help youth grow and expand their horizons.

And regarding the religious thing, a lot of these organizations may be hosted by a religious organization, but do not attempt to teach their beliefs as part of their service - performing the service is a duty, and they see no need to preach. Of course if you look around you'll find plenty of organizations that are completely secular, but I suspect that there are many organizations doing good work that aren't doing anything that you'd disagree with which happen to be religiously affiliated, and you might not want to restrict yourself with such a litmus test.

I have found that serving others is amazing, and I hope you have a good experience looking for and finding something that fulfills that for you!

fade

Staff member
I don't really want to just donate money. The goal is to get out and do something real. I already donate money here and there. I want to actually help. That sounds self-serving, but what I mean is that I want my time here on this planet to have had some meaning. Not for glory or personal benefit or eternal reward, but because it's right.

As for the religious thing, I hear what you're saying, but I've had some negative experiences. I'm sure they're not all like that, but my experiences so far haven't shown that. Pavlov and all that.

Definitely see if there's a Habitat for Humanity in the area. You don't need to have any building experience, but I'm sure you already have the skills for some parts of the process.

fade

Staff member
The habitat here is overwhelmed by building volunteers. Last time I called, there was a waiting list to volunteer as a builder. Seems like everyone wants to build a house.