Getting a new Bike

So I am planning on buying a Racingbike. Nothing too fancy,around 700€. I am planning on joining the Vattenfall Cyclassics in the Summer,which is a 100km race.
Any Ideas for what kind of bike I should get?
I want to start easy,most bikeforums I perused are full of Bike enthusiast who do 2500km per month which I really dont have time for.

No experience personally, but if you get no other responses, let me know and I'll see if I can't ask an acquaintance or two.

--Patrick

I would check out various bike shops in your town. Explain to the sales people what you want to do and see if you can test ride a few. The one that makes you think, " Yeah I could spend all day on this." is the one for you.

700 euros is nothing fancy??

I know my former professor rides a Gary Fisher, but I have no idea what the model is. He competes and rides all the time.

I ride a $250 Raleigh! It was well-used during my undergrad years.

Get Kevin Bacon's bike from Quicksilver. ;)

I can't give any recommendations, as I'm an urban bike commuter, which is a very different animal, but I agree with Timmus about going to a local bike shop to get advice and try a few bikes out. A good bike shop can be incredibly helpful when considering the little details that go into your decision.

I have a Dahon Mariner because I take the subway to get to Manhattan in order to ride to work in the first place (biking up to the GWB on the Jersey side is unpleasant as a daily activity; also quite long). I then bike 5.5 miles up Rt 9 to get to work.

I went with Dahon because I hadn't used a bike in over a decade and I wanted something that was relatively cheap but could still re-sell if I hated it. I haven't hated it at all (it's been about 2 years), so I'm considering upgrading to a Brompton if I can find a good secure place to store it during the day.

All 2 wheeled vehicles are exempt from traffic laws... at least in application.

Most of my near death experiences come from obeying traffic laws, because 4 wheeled drivers do not believe I have the right to life.

Get whatever kind of bike makes its riders obey traffic laws...oh wait that's none of them.
This is my only problem with NYC's bike-share program. A lot of the users don't have a clue about bike/traffic laws, and ride like crazy oblivious people.

Did my first 20km drive today. The snow finaly melted and the temperatures were above 5°C allowing me to take my bike for a longer spin.

After the ride I did a little maintainance and cleaning, which was very satisfying. I think I am gonna like this sport.

I HATE PEDESTRIANS!
Now just imagine all the time that I got buzzed by pick-up trucks (in the country) and buses (in cities.) I felt bad after the bus bumped me, and I started pounding on the side of the bus calling the driver Mother Fucker... after all it was taking nice little Baptists to Sunday School.

Why am I being called an asshole for drivin on my bike lane while that douchnozzle walks on it like he build it himself.

So Angry.

That is one dumb taxi driver. I mean, sure, they all do that- but you're supposed to check for cop cars first, dummy! It's not a crime if the cops didn't see it!