Getting 5.1 audio out of my new PC

figmentPez

Staff member
I recently got a new PC, an HP Pavilion 560-p015hvr

The onboard audio only has 3 rear jacks (stereo out, line in, microphone in) but the specifications of the motherboard's sound say:
  • Audio Codec: ALC3863-CG
  • High Definition (Azalia) 5.1 channel audio support
Supposedly this Realtek chipset has 5.1 capability, but I have no idea how to get that. My old PC's Realtek audio control panel allowed for switching what each jack outputs, so even if it didn't have all the jacks it does, I'd still be able to get 5.1 analog out of it (I'd been using the optical out, even though it could only do stereo, or pass-through multi-channel, I figured that would give me the best audio quality with my Logitech Z680 speakers). My new PC has some sort of DTS Studio Sound audio control panel, that does not appear to have any sort of options to change the input jacks to output.

I've tried switching to generic Realtek drivers, but the DTS Studio Sound control panel just keeps coming back. I'm not sure if it's reinstalling itself, or if it's part of the generic Realtek drivers for this version of their hardware or what.

Anyone have suggestions? I'm so tempted to just buy an Asus Xonar card, but I really should not be spending money, when stereo sound will do well enough.

figmentPez

Staff member
Correction: I can get 5.1 out of my system, the control panel just makes it anything but intuitive, and isn't nearly as flexible as the Realtek control panel on my old system. If I set the system to 5.1, it does reassign the jacks, but I'm left with no microphone input. I had been hoping to use the front headphone jack as a mic in, but it seems only give the option of headphones or headset for that.

Looks like it's quadraphonic surround with a mic for now. I'll fiddle with it some more later.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, unfortunately that's what most 3 jack 5.1 systems mean - you can use the analog outputs for front stereo, rear stereo, and subwoofer. Leaving no analog mic input.

However, if opportunity presents itself, you might consider doing so, and picking up a USB mic. I use an Audio Technica ATR-2100 USB, which seems to do nicely both for production and game voip. But then, not everybody wants to drop 60 bucks on a mic.

There are less expensive USB mics available, though I'd be suspicious of any of the ones that cost less than 5 or 10 dollars.

The Snowball iCE mics come highly recommended, and Blue does have better mics if your budget can support it. The regular Snowball (adds omnidirectional pickup for 10-20 dollars more) is a step up, though if you're going to be doing anything where audio quality really matters I'd save until you can spring for a Yeti.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
If it comes to spending money, I'd sooner get a soundcard than a USB mic. (Is this a subtle hint that my voice quality sucks in L4D2 games?)

My budget is very fuzzy. Technically it's $0*, because I have no income, but there's a huge ol' asterisk after it because my parents have varying levels of understanding and compassion for my mental health and trying to make sure I have what I need to try to pursue life. They recognize a computer as a necessity to communicate and do other things in life, but I wouldn't have been able to justify getting gaming performance if it hadn't been conveniently bundled into a >$500 deal. I have no idea what they'd think of buying optional add-ons.

Some interesting things I learned while messing around last night: Windows 10 is absurdly difficult about installing the drivers it want's to install. There was no way I could figure out to reboot without it installing the default drivers. Even when the Realtek drivers were waiting to install themselves after a reboot. Eventually I did manage to get the Realtek drivers to just install themselves without insisting on a reboot first, but they didn't work properly. I got the version of the control panel I'm familiar with, but it didn't recognize all the jacks, and just generally got confused when I plugged things in. HP must have some custom implementation of the chipset.

At least I didn't break anything I couldn't fix while toying around.

(Is this a subtle hint that my voice quality sucks in L4D2 games?)
It is not. My suggestion was merely a recommendation for a decent USB-connected mic that is not a lot of money but is completely qualified for use with Skype, recording a podcast, doing a YouTube video, etc.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Right, I was just recommending a possible solution if you wanted to get the full 5.1. Me, I actually still game in boring old stereo.