[NHL] Generic-titled 2015 NHL Thread

B

BErt

Madness every where before free agency opens up. Taylor Hall traded straight up to NJ for Adam Larsson. Oilers twitter is...we'll say not pleased. And Montreal and Nashville have swapped Subban and Weber. Oh, and Stamkos is staying put (rabble rabble).

Madness every where before free agency opens up. Taylor Hall traded straight up to NJ for Adam Larsson. Oilers twitter is...we'll say not pleased. And Montreal and Nashville have swapped Subban and Weber. Oh, and Stamkos is staying put (rabble rabble).
Bwahahahahahaha! Seriously how did NJ and MTL pull that off?

This is too much "holy shit" for one post.

Nashville gets a lot more pep that's for sure, but Weber killing anyone who goes near Price is horrifying for a Leafs fan.

The back end cap hits are hillarious though. Seriously, guys, Weber retires with 1 year left on his contract and Nashville takes a $25M cap hit. Funny numbers man.

this is the wrongest wrong thing that has ever been posted, in fact, this is the first person i've seen on the whole internet this afternoon and evening speak about the trade in a positive way for montreal, lol
First thing the Habs fan at work today said was how much he loves this trade.

We're out there but nobody wants to listen to us right now.

I don't even know how you could argue that Montreal won that trade. Subban is younger, the better player right now, and Weber's been looking like he's on the decline for a couple of years already. Weber's signed until he's 40 at a huge cap hit. I wouldn't have thought there could be a worse trade this off season than Hall for Larsson, but I'm pretty sure Montreal managed it here.

Quick explaination: I think Subban will be the fourth best defenseman in Nashville. Not a knock against his skills but a compliment to the three that are already there. Yet he will earn more than all three of them combined.

Yeah, MTL is pretty livid about this.

Weber will be fine here...for about 2 years then we have him for another 8 years. I hope he lasts at least 2-3 years but the last few years his metrics have been shit.

After 2 years, we don't pay any cap hit if he's bought out.

Subban is 4 years younger, has far better possession metrics playing under F'in Therrien and a 38 year old Markov. Can't wait for this dumbass management see how good Weber looked because of Josi.

As a part-time fan (don't have the time cycles to care for hockey these days), I pretty much died when a saw Subban go. What a great guy, total stud in the Montreal community.

Has a terrible rep but he's a top 10 in the league playing under a shit team. I hope he has a banner year as a 2D in Nashville, their fans will LOVE him there. It will be good for him.

In the meanwhile, I think I need to look at some options, I can't cheer for this team anymore, even part-time, they disgust me. Chelios, Roy, Cammalleri, McDonaugh... Subban. No thanks

Seriously: over at the "other" HF forums, half the Habs posters have jumped ship for our sub-forum.

The biggest concern the Preds have is that Weber might retire anytime before that contract is up (thanks a whole ####ing lot, Philly).

Jay: Come to the Gold Side. We have Carrie Underwood. :)

if Weber retires at age 39, the Preds will incur a $25 miliion cap penalty. Not cash, but that much scraped off the cap. Every year earlier than that splits it further (12/yr, 8/yr, 6/yr, etc). MOST people I've seen and read have said the league won't let that happen, but who knows what the league will look like in 10 years. That might not even be a big penalty by then!!! And he could get bought out, long term IR-ed, or traded again (I believe this also gets the Preds off the hook?). I'm not gonna worry about 10 years from now since Nashville is gonna win the cup in the next 5 :D[DOUBLEPOST=1467343871,1467343706][/DOUBLEPOST]
Quick explaination: I think Subban will be the fourth best defenseman in Nashville. Not a knock against his skills but a compliment to the three that are already there. Yet he will earn more than all three of them combined.

this is completely a knock against his skills and ludicrous. I'm really high on Roman Josi, but I'd still never say he's better than PK right now. He has more youth and upside for sure. I'm also a homer and even if Subban was a Blackhawk I'd never claim Ekholm or Ellis were even in the same tier as him

For what it's worth, before Weber can get bought out he has to be put on unconditional waivers, at which point Nashville can just claim him and pay his regular salary for the actual cap hit rather than dealing with the giant penalty.If he retires they might have more issues, but that's the only way they're likely to be unreasonably hurt, and he'd be leaving a bunch of money on the table to do it. Probably pretty unlikely.

Ah, right, he signed before the rules against ridiculous frontloading. That might be an issue then, though I imagine he/the teams/the league would look to do something to avoid screwing Nashville out of being competitive for 2 or 3 years.

I'd expect him to be a Chris Pronger type arrangement, where he doesn't officially retire in order to let a team compete while he takes a job with the league or in a front office. Or, if he's still playing and isn't worth the cap hit, he'll be traded to one of the small market teams to let them hit the cap floor without having to spend any real money. In either case, it's really unlikely that Nashville gets burned on the trade - and even if they do, they're winning it hard enough for the next 6? years that it might be worth it anyway.

Sabres sign Okposo to a pretty reasonable deal, and it sounds like Vescey is more open to signing with us before August.

Hype levels...rising.

And the Leafs goalie trade is finally complete! They just waited for weeks to absorb Berniers bonus money.

Yah it's

Anderson for 1st round 2016 (30th), 2nd round 2017

Pay Bernier his money

Bernier for a 2nd round 2017 pick, which ever is better....

Last edited: