Generative Art

Dave

Staff member
Someone on Twitter has a thread where they asked an AI to turn individual countries into villains. It’s pretty epic.

I've told a few people about this and no one seems to grasp just how improbable this is.
Yeah, except for here, the general response I've also gotten is kind of a bland "oh, neat."

I guess I need to soil my mouth and say "It's like finding out that Logan Paul works for you, because you've never seen his videos before."

I guess the closest thing I can think of that's happened to me before is my most recent wife and I used to hang out in the same circles and had the same friends at school, but we never ended up in the same classes (different grade) or at the same parties, so we never met until I was in my 20s--and then we found out that we had all the same friends. heh.

But even that's not even close, because at least we had the commonality of the same school to bring the probabilities together.

Yeah, except for here, the general response I've also gotten is kind of a bland "oh, neat."

I guess I need to soil my mouth and say "It's like finding out that Logan Paul works for you, because you've never seen his videos before."

I guess the closest thing I can think of that's happened to me before is my most recent wife and I used to hang out in the same circles and had the same friends at school, but we never ended up in the same classes (different grade) or at the same parties, so we never met until I was in my 20s--and then we found out that we had all the same friends. heh.

But even that's not even close, because at least we had the commonality of the same school to bring the probabilities together.

If it was just that you had stumbled on the video on your own that would be weird enough but it's that I as an independent 3rd party, picked that tutorial out of all available ones and presented it to you that makes it truly mind-boggling for me.

While I've had fun poking around with midjourney, there have been a few times where things like an incomprehensible signature was generated onto an image I was attempting to make because enough of the source images it had pulled from had one so it felt like it should be there. That's always leaned toward more than a bit skeevy to me.

Also, people selling things, be in t-shirts posters or what have you, made from images they created using it and encouraging others to do so was always too much for me.

If the image scraping was done on a volunteer basis where someone signs their work over to be added to the trained AI and only those images are trained off of and used to generate new ones, it'd be a different story. But then you wouldn't have nearly the amount of progression it's had nor it's viral success so quickly because of it. Now this is me assuming a little, much of it's progress forward has been because of the sheer number of images it's likely pulled off the internet, and learned from. If the quantity was lessened it just wouldn't work as well* as it does this quickly.

So, I just said "Gwarsh" to someone (like Disney's Goofy)...then I got to thinking, "What if that was a portmanteau of "GWAR" and "warsh" (as in, how an old timey southerner might say the word "wash"). this is what Midjourney thought of that idea
1673978896661.png

I would point out that the Internet also has differing opinions about whether the Holocaust actually happened, whether the Earth is round, and even about whether water is wet, etc.

--Patrick
I would submit that the spelling of a nonsense word uttered by a cartoon character probably doesn't really need to tread so close to Godwin's Law ;)

Making some art of fairies dancing in the forest, when their faces start coming out a bit...skewed.
1675565909229.png

No problem, says I. I can clean that up. Sure thing.
1675565969342.png

Oh, I think she noticed me. That's...problematic.
1675566041603.png

Oh lawd, she comin'.
1675566420534.png

True story: Discord wouldn't ever show these messages as "complete" from MidJourney, so I couldn't delete them out of my chat room.
So I closed down Discord and restarted it. All the messages are gone....weeeeiiiird. But I was gonna delete them anyway.

Last edited:
  • OMGWTFBBQ
Reactions: Far
This looks more like an excerpt where, for just one fleeting moment, you saw through the illusion that had been disguising vicious, carnivorous bees as innocent forest fairies.

--Patrick

This one took marrying a couple images together, since AI is absolutely terrible about making any kind of flute or other long, straight instrument. I probably spent 3 hours in photoshop post-processing to get this one, but I am pretty happy with it.
1676736409405.png

These haven't had any post-render cleanup yet, but they will before I use them. St. Patrick's day, how it starts vs how it ends.
1676736520009.png
1676736531919.png

The 2nd pic has a lot of cleanup required...lot of weird AI rendering around the bottles, especially. But I am kind of proud that I was able to make 2 separate renderings that could ostensibly be the same girl.

Reactions: Far
1677044812798.png

So, I've been spending a lot of time making digital art. So much so, I ran out of monthly usage halfway through February and had to upgrade. I've been posting it on a FB Page devoted to that purpose...when I think something's especially cool I share it elsewhere.

Anyway, I made this guy and posted to the gallery. A guy I've met at a few Irish music events (Catskills, O'Flaherty's etc) saw it and asked if they could use it for their band

Not sure what he's going to use it for, but it makes me feel all accomplished or something.

What in the Doc BrownXKoopa from the 90's live action Mario movies is going on with Eisenhower?!

Carter looks like how I imagine people will remember him a hundred years from now.
Teddy is rockin’ it.
Eisenhower is not. He looks like an X-Files villain.

—Patrick

Making some mermaids for my grand-daughter, because she likes mermaids. But "more realistic and not that disney shit" at the request of my ex-wife.

mermaid 1.png
mermaid 2c.png

She also likes elephants.
Me: Hey MidJourney--make me an elephant, with a golden crown, sitting on a throne.
Midjourney: I think what I heard was that you wanted a picture of Satan
1678334883025.png

Wtf?