1. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Already a member? Login Now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice

[Other] General Home Maintenance

Discussion in 'Health and Advice' started by Gared, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Gared

Gared One Of Us

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB4,628
    I'm just gonna start a big catch-all thread for all of my home maintenance questions - and anyone else' questions as well.

Right now, the thorn in my side is an in-freezer ice-maker that's full of ice that has melted and refrozen enough times to become a solid 3" chunk lining the bottom of the ice bin, and completely subsuming the auger mechanism used to push ice out the front and/or break it into small pieces. Every online article I can find about ice-maker maintenance starts the same way; "remove the ice from the ice bin." So, I have the following tools at my disposal - which ones should I use to "remove the ice from the ice bin?"
    • Small Butane torch - ostensibly for my wife to make jewelry, but all we've used it for so far is dabbing.
    • Unlimited supply of hot water.
    • Hammer and chisel set.
    • Stainless steel screwdriver.
    • Enough salt to change the salinity of the Salton Sea.
    The only option for defrosting the thing is to unplug the entire unit, including the fridge, and I'd like to keep that as my option of last resort. Oh, and because it's been so long, and because the ice is piling up against one side, water drips down the side of the freezer and coats the entire inside in ice AND you can't just "lift here and pull out to remove ice bin."

2. stienman

stienman GRATUITOUS AMOUNTS OF ENERGY

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB6,048
    This is a sign that your freezer may need to be defrosted. The coils are not longer able to cool the air effectively.

That said, the ice bin should be removable from the freezer. Can you give me the model and manufacturer of the fridge? It seems strange that you'd have to defrost the entire fridge just to defrost the ice bin.

I strongly suggest you avoid the torch. It'll scorch the plastic faster than you can react.

I'd avoid the mechanical options just to avoid scratches and other damage, but they might be your best option if you really can't defrost it using room air. If the bin is removable then use gentle mechanical tools to remove the ice preventing removal.

If you can't remove the bin for washing, you'll probably want to avoid salt, it'll be hard to completely get rid of, and it'll mess with your ice until it's all gone.

Quickest known safe way I've found for freezer defrosting is unplugging it, opening the doors, and using a fan to blow room air into the unit.

In your situation, I'd suggest a full defrost is your best option. Buy a few bags of ice from the store use a cooler for the food you can't cook and eat, and defrost your fridge for a day or two.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
  3. Shakey

Shakey One Of Us

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB1,482
    I second that. Bite the bullet and defrost. Otherwise you might make it worse by breaking something else. It's a good excuse to clean the fridge too.

While you're at it, try blowing air over the coils to clean them out. Your freezer isn't getting cold enough to freeze your ice, so they could be dirty.

4. Gared

Gared One Of Us

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB4,628
    It's an old GE, either a model TFX20JR or TFT20JR (the actual model number is behind the damn thing and I haven't pulled it forward yet). You're supposed to be able to remove the ice-bin without having to defrost the entire thing, but due to the ice build-up, that's out until I can get some of the ice chipped out from under the ice making apparatus itself. It sounds like a full defrost really is the best bet for this thing, sadly.

Here are some pics of the issue:

Frozen Coil.png
    Interior shot of ice-machine auger, showing how little is visible above the ice-block.

icebin.png
    Inside view from the front. Barely visible to the left is the ice buildup under the apparatus, which seems to be preventing me from "lifting and pulling here" to remove the ice bin.

Front View.png
    Front view of the ice-maker inside the freezer. The top portion flips up to show the inside. The bottom portion reads "lift and pull here to remove ice storage container." Right now it neither lifts, nor pulls out.

Full Frontal.png
    Front view of the entire unit - I really just wanted to upload a photo called 'Full Frontal.png' to get Gas' hopes up.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Room for rent

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB6,954
    Once you can finally get the bin out of the freezer, it's smooth sailing from there to just let that ice melt in the sink.

6. Shakey

Shakey One Of Us

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB1,482
    That looks the same as mine, it's definitely the ice buildup preventing you from pulling it out.
    If you want to speed up the process, and not defrost the fridge, you can unplug the fridge and make sure not to open the door for the fridge. Then just take a hair dryer to the ice.

7. PatrThom

PatrThom Genuinely Curious

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB11,431
    Defrosting would of course be ideal, but failing that, you don't want to use any impact-based method lest you accidentally knock any of the auger works out of line.
    My recommendation would be a hose connected to a hairdryer on low or the exhaust side of a vacuum cleaner.

EDIT: Wow a lotta replies came in while I was stuck talking to people.

--Patrick

8. GasBandit

GasBandit Ask me about my Reprehensible Filth Staff Member

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB20,154
    Hair Dryer.

9. Gared

Gared One Of Us

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB4,628
    Excellent, hair dryer it is, once we buy one this weekend.

10. PatrThom

PatrThom Genuinely Curious

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB11,431
    At some distance from the ice block and ON LOW.
    You're just trying to melt the ice, not deform any surrounding plastic. If it's too hot for your hand, then move further back. Yes, you will have to wait longer, but you won't have to replace any proprietary melted plastic parts.

--Patrick

11. Gared

Gared One Of Us

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB4,628
    Yeah, I'm not looking to melt anything other than ice - the butane torch bit was a joke/angry exaggeration.