Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

So... a minimum wage scheme that doesn't use the words "minimum wage?"

It wouldn't help families directly. The minimum wage is about $1,300/mo for many states and the maximum gross income for food stamps for many states is right around $1,300 for a single individual.

However, the food stamps benefit goes up as they add dependents. But even so, the money wouldn't be going to the family that needs it, it would be going to the government and all its inefficiency would reduce the actual benefit to the affected families significantly.

I suppose if they can't get their minimum wage law one way they'll get it another.

Speaking of which, Seattle successfully passed a "Head Tax" - any company making more than $20 million gross per year is taxed at about $275/employee ($0.14 per hour an employee works) in order to raise $50 million a year to fight homelessness. Amazon has been very vocal in their unhappiness - with 40,000 workers in Seattle and in the middle of building another office they are subject to about $11 million per year in taxes - just to that city. Boeing, Microsoft, and others haven't commented, but with Seattle's recent $15/hour minimum wage hike, the 80% above national average cost of living, and now this onerous tax on corporations (in a city with $4 billion dollars of city revenue) , I will not be surprised if they start to falter. It will take awhile, but when a worker cost $275/year more in one city than another, over a decade or two you'll find big corporations, if they don't leave altogether, will grow only in other locations. Once those plans start to move and reach fruition, they won't be stopped or reversed except over many years. Few new companies expecting or desiring to grow into a $20million/year company will set foot inside seattle.

Corporate jobs will leave and unskilled workers will flock because they'll either get $15/hour jobs (where they still can't afford rent or cars) or excellent homeless options. The city will "solve" these problems by increasing taxes.

It's a very short sighted money grab that will work initially, increasing city revenue by over 10% in one fell swoop, but damaging their prospects in the long run.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/seattle-head-tax-passes_us_5afa53d5e4b0200bcab82fea

Of course, Seattle already spends $200million/year on homeless programs, so this is a 25% increase in funding. Also note that this isn't the only head tax in the nation, and Seattle did have one from 2006-2009 but got rid of it for economic development reasons after the 2007 recession. Chicago also had one and got rid of it.

It's a very short sighted money grab that will work initially, increasing city revenue by over 10% in one fell swoop, but damaging their prospects in the long run.
That describes pretty much all political policies in a nutshell, especially when it comes to government revenues.

This is your Republican party in 2018.

This is some Final Solution shit right there. Fuck this guy. Fuck the GOP. There's no other way to put it. If it means burning some bridges around here, all I can say is burn, baby, burn. How can you sleep at night knowing your guys are doing this?

This is your Republican party in 2018.

This is some Final Solution shit right there. Fuck this guy. Fuck the GOP. There's no other way to put it. If it means burning some bridges around here, all I can say is burn, baby, burn. How can you sleep at night knowing your guys are doing this?
If believed uncritically, this is basically political suicide.

However...
Excerpts said:
Barnett says someone else is posing as him on his Facebook page – Chrisforgov.

A May 14 post says “As the next mayor of Oklahoma, I’m going to enact a mandatory nationwide lottery that euthanizes 1 out of every 100 people in the world.”

In another response to someone’s comment on Facebook, Chrisforgov replies “I firmly believe we should have assisted suicide in the US.”

“Why should we have to keep up people who cannot contribute to society any longer?”

And goes on to say, “If they can take care of themselves without government assistance, great. If not, let them starve and die.”

“And I’m reading some of these things, and it’s appalling. Hitler euthanized people, and I just loved how they’ve put this together and they’re trying to make me into Hitler,” said Barnett.

Barnett says he woke up Monday morning to hundreds of calls.

“There are people saying they want to shoot me, they are going to assassinate me, they are going to shoot me, they are going to blow us up,” said Barnett.

Barnett says all of his Facebook pages have been compromised, including the one for his carpet cleaning business.
Come on.

Edit: TBH this dude is waaaaay too libertarian-smelling to become the main Republican candidate for anything past a school district. I mean, read his plan, or consider that he's in a same-sex marriage. He'll get creamed in the party primary. Maybe wait until he wins it before you condemn the entire GOP for having him in their ranks?

Last edited:
That's @DarkAudit 's modus operandi. Turn it around on his preferred party, though, and he'll fight you tooth and nail to show how the party can't be blamed for one person's idiocy.
It's unfair to say that when it's some random legistlator running for office in Oklahoma. When it's the president that the entire party has mobilized around...

(Here's the part where you explain why Obama/Hillary are actually way worse than trump).

That's @DarkAudit 's modus operandi. Turn it around on his preferred party, though, and he'll fight you tooth and nail to show how the party can't be blamed for one person's idiocy.

Are you just having a go at me, or have you literally not been paying attention? I'm pretty sure I mentioned renouncing any party affiliation. I *know* I mentioned writing in Ken Hechler for every spot on the ballot in the '14 midterms.

I know for pretty damn sure how I've raged at the WV Dem machine for decades of screwing the state over.

tl;dr:

Senate votes 52-47 to overturn the repeal of net neutrality. Next it goes to the House.

I'm thrilled this is happening, but disappointed that there weren't more Republicans on the side of doing the right thing here.

disappointed that there weren't more Republicans on the side of doing the right thing here.
They are voting for their own self-interest, rather than the interests of the people they purport to represent.
...which therefore means they should not be in the representative position they now hold, but whatever. Cushy retirement!

--Patrick

They are voting for their own self-interest, rather than the interests of the people they purport to represent.
...which therefore means they should not be in the representative position they now hold, but whatever. Cushy retirement!
You know that scene from the DareDevil TV series where it's a flashback to when Kingpin was as a child, and how his Dad was running for a council seat to get bribes? Assume that's almost every elected politician and you won't be far off.

You know that scene from the DareDevil TV series where it's a flashback to when Kingpin was as a child, and how his Dad was running for a council seat to get bribes?
No.
I haven't seen any of the MCU:TV. At all. Well, nothing since and including the X-Men cartoon.

--Patrick

So senator Manchin is as okay with torture as he is with dead miners.

We're coming up on the 50th anniversary of the Farmington disaster. Let's see how many times he trots out his dead relatives on the campaign trail, shall we? :facepalm:

Well then. PBS: Despite losing GOP primary in West Virginia, ex-coal baron Blakenship [sic] chases Senate seat
Despite losing the Republican primary in a distant third-place, convicted ex-coal baron Don Blankenship announced Monday that he will continue his bid for U.S. Senate as a third-party candidate, though it’s unclear if the move violates West Virginia’s “sore loser” law.

Blankenship will run as a member of the Constitution Party, which nominated him by a unanimous vote, his campaign said in a news release.

West Virginia secretary of state spokesman Steve Adams said Blankenship has officially switched his party affiliation to the Constitution Party. But Adams has said West Virginia’s “sore loser” or “sour grapes” law prohibits candidates affiliated with a major party who lose in a primary from changing their registration to a minor party to take advantage of later filing deadlines.

In comments made before Monday’s announcement, Mike Queen, who is communications director for Secretary of State Mac Warner, said Blankenship wouldn’t be allowed to run in a general election.

Last edited:
“...with black lung! And hoosegows!”

SIDE NOTE: I wanted to read up a little more on Don’s background, so I popped open a window to search for “Don Blakenship,” but I missed the N and accidentally searched for “Don Blake ship” and OH GOD I WAS NOT PREPARED FOR THIS (insert “striking his magic stick” and “Thor” puns here).

—Patrick

Imagine how many people probably said the same of Trump.
. . . I know there were three of us in a certain poll here who said essentially that (to @DarkAudit's chagrin, to put it mildly). And it has been hilarious, in a black comedy sort of way; a comedy y'all should never have let happen.

Don't wish for a Blankenshit campaign, @Dave.

. . . I know there were three of us in a certain poll here who said essentially that (to @DarkAudit's chagrin, to put it mildly). And it has been hilarious, in a black comedy sort of way; a comedy y'all should never have let happen.

Don't wish for a Blankenshit campaign, @Dave.
The primary was literally "I could shoot someone in Times Square" made real.