Gas Bandit's Political Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, AMTRAK failed because it was scene as the "poor man's" method of transportation, in a country where gas was cheap and not owning a car is basically not an option unless you live in a city... and because it's a pain in the ass to get anywhere you actually would want to go, because of how very few stations there are and where those stations are.

GasBandit

Staff member
To be fair, AMTRAK failed because it was scene as the "poor man's" method of transportation, in a country where gas was cheap and not owning a car is basically not an option unless you live in a city... and because it's a pain in the ass to get anywhere you actually would want to go, because of how very few stations there are and where those stations are.
And yet we're still spending taxpayer money on it to keep it afloat.

K

Kitty Sinatra

The U.S. Postal Service was established in 1775 - they've had 234 years to get it right; it is broke, and even though heavily subsidized, it can't compete with private sector FedEx and UPS services.
Is it supposed to compete? I know I want my mail service to be complete - to get my postcard from the Yukon to my Newfie friend Rob without bankrupting me. Who the smurf would use FedEx for that?

GasBandit

Staff member
The U.S. Postal Service was established in 1775 - they've had 234 years to get it right; it is broke, and even though heavily subsidized, it can't compete with private sector FedEx and UPS services.
Is it supposed to compete? I know I want my mail service to be complete - to get my postcard from the Yukon to my Newfie friend Rob without bankrupting me. Who the smurf would use FedEx for that?
Fedex can't send a regular letter/postcard. It has to be an "emergency urgent package" that just happens to be flat (which means it will have to be expensive), because that's the legal loophole that allows them to do business. It's all the more disgusting that the post office does so horribly because it is illegal to compete with the USPS.

Back in the 90s, my grandfather (who was then an administrator in the Texas Medical Center in Houston) told me that there was a guy running a super-cheap service where he'd just drive between all the hospitals couriering things they would otherwise have to send through the mail. The hospitals all started setting aside the mail that would usually go to other hospitals (and take a day or two to get there) and saved money and time by paying this guy for his service, and he'd get it there in a couple hours since he was constantly making the rounds. That went fine until one hospital administrator didn't want to pay and when the guy stopped picking up mail at that hospital, the administrator turned him in to the authorities, put him out of business.

If the USPS wasn't propped up by government funds, it couldn't stay in business. But that doesn't mean that there couldn't be a private sector solution.

GasBandit

Staff member
Obama's green jobs czar is a man by the name of Van Jones. He is a civil rights, human rights, and environmental activist. Take a listen to some of the comments Jones had to say about white environmentalists in January of 2008.

Did you catch that? "Because they don't have a racial justice frame ... white polluters steered poison into minority communities." OWW! Pardon me, I just rolled my eyes so hard I bruised an optic nerve.

Also, earlier this year Jones told an audience that Republicans are blocking Barack Obama's proposals because they are "assholes."

That huge wildfire that's eating SoCal? It could have been prevented with a controlled burn months ago. Environmental nut-jobs stopped it.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer says that he will not vote for healthcare reform if it requires increasing taxes or deficit spending. Well there goes that plan.

We already knew the White House estimates a $9 trillion deficit. What they didn't tell us is that this number was based on brisk economic growth for a solid decade.

The government may "restrict fast food establishments near school grounds and public playgrounds" in order to combat childhood obesity. Because what else are parents for?

Could Barack Obama get another Supreme Court justice to nominate soon? There are rumors that John Paul Stevens is close to retiring.

A new poll shows that a majority of independent voters now disapprove of Barack Obama's handling of the presidency.

It's been six months since Congress passed the economic stimulus plan. The question is ... how's it working out for ya?

Government school parents are upset that this video called "I Pledge" is being shown to their children.

How is a British liquor company benefiting from US taxpayer stimulus money? I'll tell you how ...

When conservatives top the chats of the New York Times bestsellers lists, don't expect the mainstream media to cover it.

If you want to talk about Health Insurance reform, this is the kind of stuff we need to be addressing. And like I (and every other right minded individual on the subject) said before, health care cost reform is meaningless without tort reform.

K

Kitty Sinatra

If the USPS wasn't propped up by government funds, it couldn't stay in business.
That can be said for the banks now, too, though, dude. Clearly the USPS was just ahead of the pack on that one. Innovation is the American Way, right? Celebrate the USPS.

The government may "restrict fast food establishments near school grounds and public playgrounds" in order to combat childhood obesity. Because what else are parents for?
There are literally 4 fast food places within 500 feet of my old high school. All 4 sprung up within less than a year of it opening. All are were PACKED during lunchtime. Are you honestly going to tell me that those business aren't preying on the student's inability to make a healthy lifestyle choice? Besides, childhood obesity wouldn't be a problem if parents were actually able to make healthy choices for their children.

Government school parents are upset that this video called "I Pledge" is being shown to their children.
Considering children are still required to swear the pledge of allegiance in most of the country, I'd say this is par for the course. Government indoctrination is what public school is for. It's clearly not about giving our children the skills they need to compete anymore.

When conservatives top the chats of the New York Times bestsellers lists, don't expect the mainstream media to cover it.
I'm calling bullshit on this one. During the Bush years, I couldn't turn on TV without seeing coverage or reviews of the latest right wing book, where as I had to turn on something like The Daily Show to hear anything about left wing stuff. This is simply following the mainstream media's tendency to keep in step with the current administration's views to protect their access.

GasBandit

Staff member
The government may \"restrict fast food establishments near school grounds and public playgrounds\" in order to combat childhood obesity. Because what else are parents for?
There are literally 4 fast food places within 500 feet of my old high school. All 4 sprung up within less than a year of it opening. All are were PACKED during lunchtime. Are you honestly going to tell me that those business aren't preying on the student's inability to make a healthy lifestyle choice? Besides, childhood obesity wouldn't be a problem if parents were actually able to make healthy choices for their children. [/quote]I'm not sure what you mean by that. Are you saying there are no healthy options for parents to choose for their children? Because that sounds pretty bogus.

Government school parents are upset that this video called \"I Pledge\" is being shown to their children.
Considering children are still required to swear the pledge of allegiance in most of the country, I'd say this is par for the course. Government indoctrination is what public school is for. It's clearly not about giving our children the skills they need to compete anymore.
Sometimes man... you're alright.

I'm calling bullshit on this one. During the Bush years, I couldn't turn on TV without seeing coverage or reviews of the latest right wing book, where as I had to turn on something like The Daily Show to hear anything about left wing stuff. This is simply following the mainstream media's tendency to keep in step with the current administration's views to protect their access.
Well, I have a different subjective experience than you've had. I couldn't turn on the TV or read a newspaper without seeing an ad for yet another "bush sucks" book. Maybe it had to do with which channels we were watching.

GasBandit

Staff member
We now know more than ever about how very little we actually know about the science of climate change.

The Congressional Black Caucus is worried that President Obama is going to ditch the government option on healthcare reform.

The "Group of Six" is back at it again today after a two week hiatus in healthcare negotiations.

Rep. Louise Slaughter says that she isn't going to hold townhall meetings because "she doesn't want to give those people and forum" and it would be beneath the "dignity of her office."

Yesterday I told you about Obama's green czar Van Jones. Turns out that Van Jones is a "truther." Man, Obama sure does know how to pick 'em.

The Democrat healthcare bill will increase Medicare drug coverage premiums by 20%. So much for lowering costs.

For all of the dealer that participated in cash for clunkers but have yet to be paid (they were supposed to be paid within 10 days), the government says you will have your payments by September 30th.

Back in 1991, Bush Sr. made a speech to government school students ... and people weren't too crazy about that idea then either.

Senator James Inhofe says, "I never dreamed I would see an administration try to disavow all the things that have made this country different from all others."

Who is in charge of scrutinizing how the bailout money is being spent? Seems our government officials have the same question.

Stay classy, Fortney "Pete" Stark (D-CA).

Now for a list of four problems that could sink America. I don't agree with all the details, but the main 4 elements are valid.

AshburnerX;247886 said:
The government may \"restrict fast food establishments near school grounds and public playgrounds\" in order to combat childhood obesity. Because what else are parents for?
There are literally 4 fast food places within 500 feet of my old high school. All 4 sprung up within less than a year of it opening. All are were PACKED during lunchtime. Are you honestly going to tell me that those business aren't preying on the student's inability to make a healthy lifestyle choice? Besides, childhood obesity wouldn't be a problem if parents were actually able to make healthy choices for their children.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Are you saying there are no healthy options for parents to choose for their children? Because that sounds pretty bogus.
No no... what I mean is that so far, parents of the current generation have shown an incredibly lack of discipline in the choices they make for their children. It's not that there aren't healthy alternatives, because there are (and the school lunch is usually such an option), but rather that the parents have shown an inability to make such choices because it ether takes too much time to do, costs too much, or requires to much work in convincing the kids to do it.

Now for a list of four problems that could sink America. I don't agree with all the details, but the main 4 elements are valid.
We don't like to work. - I could argue that our fascination with overworking has lead to a generation of kids who feel no connection with their parents and who were forced to raise themselves, resulting in a value set that is at best somewhat selfish and at worse utterly self-absorbed. Working hard is fine if you own your own business, because you will immediately see results for that work... however, if you work for somebody else, working hard is just going to get more and more work thrust upon you while you never see a dime for your efforts. You want people to start working hard again? Give them a reason to, by rewarding them for that work.

Nobody wants to sacrifice. - Its hard to make sacrifices when you don't exactly have a lot of money laying around to begin with. Calling on the American Middle and Lower classes to make sacrifices is bullshit when many of those people live paycheck to paycheck already. It sounds to me like the Upper Class is trying to deflect the issue of them not doing enough for the country by saying the rest of us aren't doing as much as they are... which is a fucking fallacy: Of course they aren't you twits. They don't have the ability to give as much as you do and what they lose effects them much more harshly. Stop being selfish and fucking give to the country that made your success possible.

We're uninformed. - Pretty much this, though that mainly stems for the inherently complicated nature of politics. It can be incredibly difficult to sift through the information and find the truth of the matter (especially when nobody can fucking agree what the truth is) so I understand why some people need it spoon-fed to them.

iCulture. - I'm not even going to into this... suffice to say, it's the fault of the Baby Boomers and the culture they fostered in their selfish desires. Apparently raising children in an environment where they never need to worry about anything turns them into a bunch of self jerks. Who knew?

GasBandit

Staff member
No no... what I mean is that so far, parents of the current generation have shown an incredibly lack of discipline in the choices they make for their children. It's not that there aren't healthy alternatives, because there are (and the school lunch is usually such an option), but rather that the parents have shown an inability to make such choices because it ether takes too much time to do, costs too much, or requires to much work in convincing the kids to do it.
Ah, so we're in agreement that kids eating junk is a failure of parenting, not of evil fast food.

We don't like to work. - I could argue that our fascination with overworking has lead to a generation of kids who feel no connection with their parents and who were forced to raise themselves, resulting in a value set that is at best somewhat selfish and at worse utterly self-absorbed. Working hard is fine if you own your own business, because you will immediately see results for that work... however, if you work for somebody else, working hard is just going to get more and more work thrust upon you while you never see a dime for your efforts. You want people to start working hard again? Give them a reason to, by rewarding them for that work.
While I agree that reward must be commensurate with contribution, I think that what the guy was going for here was something I've seen since I was 18: People want to just get paid for showing up. I had a friend whose father owned an Olive Garden, and refused to hire young people if they were white. He much preferred to hire hispanics because, and I quote him, "they WANT to work." Your average american today wants the paycheck but balks at the work.

Nobody wants to sacrifice. - Its hard to make sacrifices when you don't exactly have a lot of money laying around to begin with. Calling on the American Middle and Lower classes to make sacrifices is bullshit when many of those people live paycheck to paycheck already. It sounds to me like the Upper Class is trying to deflect the issue of them not doing enough for the country by saying the rest of us aren't doing as much as they are... which is a fucking fallacy: Of course they aren't you twits. They don't have the ability to give as much as you do and what they lose effects them much more harshly. Stop being selfish and fucking give to the country that made your success possible.
Redistribution of wealth under threat of force from the federal government is not "sacrifice." When I hear "nobody wants to sacrifice," I think of the lady ahead of me in line paying for her groceries with food stamps while she plays with her iPhone. People who whine about their limited cash reserves yet can't live without cable, cell phones, internet access, xbox, nike, fubu. It feeds back down into the iCulture one below, which we're pretty much on the same page about I think.

We're uninformed. - Pretty much this, though that mainly stems for the inherently complicated nature of politics. It can be incredibly difficult to sift through the information and find the truth of the matter (especially when nobody can fucking agree what the truth is) so I understand why some people need it spoon-fed to them.
And a great many of us can't even be bothered to open our mouths for the spoon.

iCulture. - I'm not even going to into this... suffice to say, it's the fault of the Baby Boomers and the culture they fostered in their selfish desires. Apparently raising children in an environment where they never need to worry about anything turns them into a bunch of self jerks. Who knew?
Indeed. It's something I've often said - conflict and struggle is what advances humanity. Where we get into trouble is when those who have never known want, crisis or war get in charge of things. Their lack of perspective dooms us all.

Ah, so we're in agreement that kids eating junk is a failure of parenting, not of evil fast food.
Somewhat. It is fairly common for fast food places to build in predatory locations however, and keeping them away from schools would do a lot to help with "poor nutrition" side of the obesity problem. It's easy to sneak off campus for lunch and avoid getting caught if your doing it on foot. It's much harder when you need to drive there and your school keeps security cameras on the exits to grab your license plate number as you enter/leave.

Redistribution of wealth under threat of force from the federal government is not "sacrifice."
Your right... it's called Taxation when the government does it instead of robbery. Deal with it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Redistribution of wealth under threat of force from the federal government is not "sacrifice."
Your right... it's called Taxation when the government does it instead of robbery. Deal with it.[/QUOTE]

No, Taxation is where the government takes some of the wealth of the people to pay for its own operating costs. But the correct answer is charity is sacrifice.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."
Frederic Bastiat

GasBandit

Staff member
Senator Tom Coburn schools a constituent about the painful truth of government-run healthcare.

Beware of the "trigger:" The newest idea from the plunderers to make sure private insurance is run outta town.

Never let a good crisis go to waste ... the media recognizes that Obama needs to create a "sense of crisis" in order to pass his healthcare reform.

How do you feel about 'life settlements' bonds? They are apparently already causing a lot of controversy for Wall Street.

Newsweek Article: "See Baby Discriminate." The article actually makes some significant points ... right up to the place where the authors say "It's horrifying to imagine kids being 'proud to be white.'" And that "..a pride message (to white children) would be abhorrent." Because remember folks - people with white skin aren't allowed pride.

Barack Obama's plans to encourage saving: allow people to have their federal tax refunds sent as savings bonds.

Jim DeMint tells us about Congress' next giveaway. Can't wait!

The Senate must move legislation to raise the federal debt limit beyond $12.1 trillion by mid-October.

Our recent economic troubles could affect the maximum limit contribution for your 401(k).

One simple question: who pays for this government healthcare system?

Obama's green jobs czar Van Jones -- the one who was a "truther" and believed white communities were poisoning black communities - resigned over the weekend. According to Black Star News, Van Jones was the victim of "hate-broadcast terrorism." Oh goodie! Now talk show hosts are terrorists! The Wall Street Journal weighs in on the matter of Van Jones' resignation.

Speaking of terrorists, Glenn Beck has officially been declared a "right-wing political terrorist."

Speaking of czars, here's a list of all of President Obama's Czars.

Is Obama's FCC Diversity Czar Mark Lloyd headed in the same direction as Van Jones?

Barack Obama says that some Americans have "selective amnesia" when it comes to our economy.

At least this Democrat realizes that there is no "right to healthcare" in our Constitution .. although he doesn't seem too happy about that.

Why won't Nancy Pelosi do anything about Charlie Rangel? Gee, that's a toughie.

Coming off of this Labor Day holiday, looks like more Americans than ever are not too fond of labor unions.

The global warming crowd is asking for religious leaders to get involved in mobilizing people to take action against climate change.

Yet another czar to add to Obama's entourage: the manufacturing czar.

Hugo Chavez gets the Hollywood star treatment. No surprise there.

Linda Douglass and Barack Obama translated:

While Glen Beck is hardly a terrorirst (and anyone who calls him that can go promptly fornicate with themselves for showing some amazing ignorance) he is one of the most annoying pundits I have ever heard. I would listen to O'Reilly and Olberman make sweet stupid ying-yang rabid angry love than listen to Beck talk about anything.

Newsweek Article: \"See Baby Discriminate.\" The article actually makes some significant points ... right up to the place where the authors say \"It's horrifying to imagine kids being 'proud to be white.'\" And that \"..a pride message (to white children) would be abhorrent.\" Because remember folks - people with white skin aren't allowed pride.
People proud of being "white" are thinly veiled racists at best, because white people don't identify as white except on government forms. We identify by our cultural heritage instead... we aren't white, we're Italian-American or Irish-American or German-American or whatever, and we celebrate in our own communities in the same ways we've been doing it for hundreds of years. I've never met anyone who showed "White Pride" who didn't have a shaved head and swastika tattoos or a Confederate Flag on their clothes.

GasBandit

Staff member
Newsweek Article: \"See Baby Discriminate.\" The article actually makes some significant points ... right up to the place where the authors say \"It's horrifying to imagine kids being 'proud to be white.'\" And that \"..a pride message (to white children) would be abhorrent.\" Because remember folks - people with white skin aren't allowed pride.
People proud of being "white" are thinly veiled racists at best, because white people don't identify as white except on government forms. We identify by our cultural heritage instead... we aren't white, we're Italian-American or Irish-American or German-American or whatever, and we celebrate in our own communities in the same ways we've been doing it for hundreds of years. I've never met anyone who showed "White Pride" who didn't have a shaved head and swastika tattoos or a Confederate Flag on their clothes.[/QUOTE]

So why is it any better to have "black pride" or "azn pride" rather than cameroonian, nigerian, korean, laotian, whatever? And why does your cultural heritage have to be preamerican for it to be permissible to be proud of it?

The PC squad says it's wonderful to be proud of being black, but it's horrific to be proud of being white. Cake, and eating it too.

People proud of being "white" are thinly veiled racists at best, because white people don't identify as white except on government forms. We identify by our cultural heritage instead... we aren't white, we're Italian-American or Irish-American or German-American or whatever, and we celebrate in our own communities in the same ways we've been doing it for hundreds of years. I've never met anyone who showed "White Pride" who didn't have a shaved head and swastika tattoos or a Confederate Flag on their clothes.[/QUOTE]

So why is it any better to have "black pride" or "azn pride" rather than cameroonian, nigerian, korean, laotian, whatever? And why does your cultural heritage have to be preamerican for it to be permissible to be proud of it?

The PC squad says it's wonderful to be proud of being black, but it's horrific to be proud of being white. Cake, and eating it too.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Asians from different parts of Asia rarely tend to get along and usually take more pride in their former nationality than their "Asian-ness". It's only Blacks who view their culture as encompassing all the various cultures of their part of the world... but that only applies to ones who are born in America. They try that crap in Africa and they get a rude awakening about the cultural wars being fought there.

And yes, it's a double standard. It's not going away anytime soon.

GasBandit

Staff member
Actually, Asians from different parts of Asia rarely tend to get along and usually take more pride in their former nationality than their "Asian-ness". It's only Blacks who view their culture as encompassing all the various cultures of their part of the world... but that only applies to ones who are born in America. They try that crap in Africa and they get a rude awakening about the cultural wars being fought there.
Quite so on africa, and it's the same for east asia... but the ones born here have the same affliction to a lesser degree.

Got rice bitch? Got rice?

GasBandit

Staff member
So yeah, the only story anybody's talking about re: Obama's speech is YOU LIE!

ACORN workers in Miami accused of falsifying hundreds of voter registrations cards? Color me surprised. But apparently that's not the only trouble they're in. Did somebody say child prostitution?

The Cato Institute has some excellent facts on key questions about the Democrat plans healthcare reform.

President Obama had some harsh thoughts on the current state of journalism. I'm afraid he may be exactly right.

If you didn't get to read this column by Michael Barone, it's worth it: The convenient fantasies of President Obama.

Tell me when to act surprised. The taxpayers probably aren't going to recover a significant portion of the $81 billion in auto industry bailouts.

Honduras won't return ousted former president Zelaya to the presidency, despite US sanctions. Good for them.

James Carville explains how Barack Obama can avoid the midterm blues.

The dollar is in decline. In fact, it has reached its lowest point in over a year. Could our borrowing and spending habits have anything to do with that?

Rep. Steny Hoyer blames the mainstream media, saying that it "misrepresented" the town hall meetings of August and only focused on the minority opposition.

The EPA has decided that there is such thing as a TV that is too big.

So what is Van Jones up to, now that he is no longer Obama's green jobs czar? Don't worry. He'll be taken care of.

Cass Sunstein ... another Obama nominee receiving scrutiny.

Actor Charlie Sheen is demanding a meeting with President Obama to discuss his belief that 9/11 was an inside job.

If you had to guess the three most popular books in the library at Guantanamo Bay ... what would they be?

So what is Van Jones up to, now that he is no longer Obama's green jobs czar? Don't worry. He'll be taken care of.
The thing I love most about the Czars are that they have no vetting proccess whatsover, in what is quite possibly unconstitutional. Of course the administration just claims they are simply "advisors." Advisors with the title of Czar. :eek:rly:

L

Le Quack

Maybe a bit late to the game....

But a few points up it talks about American's not wanting to work.

Don't we work more hours than everyone else on the planet (except the japanese by about 30-40 hours)?

Doesn't exactly jive. And if it does jive, no wonder. We're working too much. People don't like to work all the time.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/lab_hou_wor-labor-hours-worked

Edit: Apparently the 3rd most. Also, if you notice that last year australia also took first for the most obese nation. Is it coincedence that the Australia and US, countries that frequently top most hours worked, also top the obesity charts?

Are we working so much that we don't have time for a healthy meal?

GasBandit

Staff member
Maybe a bit late to the game....

But a few points up it talks about American's not wanting to work.

Don't we work more hours than everyone else on the planet (except the japanese by about 30-40 hours)?
We're spending more time AT work, not doing actual work.

L

Le Quack

There's obviously something wrong with that, and its most likely a reactionary effect from the work hard and push it to the limit mentality of the previous generation.

In the 50s everyone worked. In the 60s-70s the fad was a lazy teenager. In the 80s the previous generation needed money, became yuppies.

Our generation will pick up on productivity in the next 5-15 year.s

GasBandit

Staff member
There's obviously something wrong with that, and its most likely a reactionary effect from the work hard and push it to the limit mentality of the previous generation.

In the 50s everyone worked. In the 60s-70s the fad was a lazy teenager. In the 80s the previous generation needed money, became yuppies.

Our generation will pick up on productivity in the next 5-15 year.s
Well, part of it is also that too many people consider certain kinds of work "beneath them," as opposed to the attitude of previous years that said "work is work." This also probably has a fair amount to do with our illegal immigrant problem.

Heck, I've been guilty about that as well... I was unemployed for many months (this was before I was a forum poster, mind you) where I refused to even apply for jobs that were not I.T. related. Of course, when the money finally ran out, I suddenly became a lot less discerning.

Simply look at the retail industry and tell me there is no lack of work ethic in this country.

Also I find the whole obesity thing to be a bit misleading. Supposedly I'm overweight at 6'2" 220lbs, and need to loose 20 of that to be on weight at the top end of the scale.

L

Le Quack

Also, I believe this summer was the worst summer to find a job since 1953. Without summer jobs for young teens, I'm guessing they don't gain proper work ethic.

GasBandit

Staff member
Simply look at the retail industry and tell me there is no lack of work ethic in this country.

Also I find the whole obesity thing to be a bit misleading. Supposedly I'm overweight at 6'2" 220lbs, and need to loose 20 of that to be on weight at the top end of the scale.
The authorities want you SMALL AND WEAK!

I would also like to point out that while most Japanase Workers tend to put in extra hours every day, it's not like most of them are doing any work. It's because it's seen as an insult to leave before your boss... even if you don't have anything important to be doing. So they fuck around all day, trying to make their work stretch the entire day.

Status
Not open for further replies.