Gas Bandit's Political Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Iaculus

Espy said:
Iaculus said:
Espy said:
So... no sources then? Don't leave me hanging...
Maybe Dark's just otherwise occupied? Not like this forum is high-priority for everyone.
Thanks? Or was your little sarcastic remark supposed to make me feel bad? Me and my whole stupid "trying to have a conversation with someone" thing. :waah:
Actually, I was merely offering a suggestion. Patience is a virtue, is all.

Never been that good at the whole passive-aggressiveness schtick, you see.

Krisken said:
Espy said:
Ok, did a quick Google search with the key words "Jindal" and "lies". I got...
Jindal's Katrina story was false
Stimulus lies that are still being said

To be honest, you could type in any politician and get a list of lies they told. I think DA's complaint is that in this particular case is the continued repeating of information that has been debunked.
Sure you could, like when Obama lied about Selma, AL or when Hillary lied about being shot at. Jindel, according to the politico, made the mistake of saying "during Katrina" rather than "the week AFTER Katrina". The basics of the story were "true", but he did lie about the timing to make it sound better. I'm not saying that's OK, it's not, it's, just like President O, a LIE told to PANDER TO HIS AUDIENCE.
To RAAAAAAAAGE over it is silly. It's part of the game they play.

Espy said:
Krisken said:
Espy said:

To be honest, you could type in any politician and get a list of lies they told. I think DA's complaint is that in this particular case is the continued repeating of information that has been debunked.
Sure you could, like when Obama lied about Selma, AL or when Hillary lied about being shot at. Jindel, according to the politico, made the mistake of saying "during Katrina" rather than "the week AFTER Katrina". The basics of the story were "true", but he did lie about the timing to make it sound better. I'm not saying that's OK, it's not, it's, just like President O, a LIE told to PANDER TO HIS AUDIENCE.
Espy, stop ignoring the second story. That's the one JA is "Raging" over. When a politician continues to spew false information because it is politically convenient, ignoring information they know is false, it leaves something to be desired as far as representatives go.

The complaint wasn't about Obama, or Hillary, or any other politician. It was about Jindal. I'm sure there are things the others do to cause DA to get peeved as well.
Every politician panders. Not every politician lies about something after the information is already known to be untrue.

Krisken said:
Espy said:
Krisken said:
Espy said:

Espy, stop ignoring the second story. That's the one JA is "Raging" over. When a politician continues to spew false information because it is politically convenient, ignoring information they know is false, it leaves something to be desired as far as representatives go.

The complaint wasn't about Obama, or Hillary, or any other politician. It was about Jindal. I'm sure there are things the others do to cause DA to get peeved as well.
Every politician panders. Not every politician lies about something after the information is already known to be untrue.
:eyeroll: I'm not ignoring anything, he brought up both issues I believe and I addressed one of them, but in the end I just don't care. It's nothing worse or better than any other politician, but since it's someone on the other side of the aisle there is RAAAAGE over it (and don't worry, I KNOW both sides do it, I do it, you do it, we all do it, it's how we work when it comes to those we are diametrically opposed to).
But personally, in the end, I expect it of these guys so it's just "meh", thats how they roll. All of them. Their shit stinks. Excuse me if I don't get outraged over something that is the equivalent of gravity working. :heythere:

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, I'm glad you guys kept the ball rolling without me. I'm back. Links probably to follow tomorrow though, still got some work to take care of.

I

Iaculus

Krisken said:
Espy said:
Krisken said:
Probably a wise idea. The man has 20 million listeners.
It's just a little sad. It would be like Dean apologizing to... um... not really able to think of someone leftist who has such a track record for incendiary remarks and still has a large listening audience.
Michael Moore? Not sure he has quite the same audience, but I guess it's a rough approximation.

More appropriate examples welcome.

Krisken said:
Espy said:
Krisken said:
It's just a little sad. It would be like Dean apologizing to... um... not really able to think of someone leftist who has such a track record for incendiary remarks and still has a large listening audience.
It's not for lack of trying. From Al Franken to Keith Olberman they try so hard and yet Rush still blows their numbers out of the water. It COULD be that he is actually more concerned with being an entertainer than a commentator.

Espy said:
Krisken said:
Espy said:
Krisken said:
It's not for lack of trying. From Al Franken to Keith Olberman they try so hard and yet Rush still blows their numbers out of the water. It COULD be that he is actually more concerned with being an entertainer than a commentator.
Really? Franken I consider more on the level of Tucker Carleson and Olbermann on the level of O'Reilly. I really don't know of someone who fits the Limbaugh level of fanaticism.

Pretty sure neither of them ever called soldiers "phony" for having a differing opinion, celebrated racism with a song like "Barack the Magic Negro", or stated that someone with a life long debilitating disease was "faking for sympathy".

(Note- Olbermann and Franken say stupid shit. Please don't think I'm making excuses for them.)

Krisken said:
Pretty sure neither of them ever called soldiers "phony" for having a differing opinion
Here's the actual transcript from his show:
CALLER: I have a retort to Mike in Chicago, because I am serving in the American military, in the Army. I’ve been serving for 14 years, very proudly.

RUSH: Thank you, sir.

CALLER: I’m one of the few that joined the Army to serve my country, I’m proud to say, not for the money or anything like that. What I would like to retort to is that, what these people don’t understand, is if we pull out of Iraq right now, which is not possible because of all the stuff that’s over there, it would take us at least a year to pull everything back out of Iraq, then Iraq itself would collapse and we’d have to go right back over there within a year or so.

RUSH: There’s a lot more than that that they don’t understand. The next guy that calls here I’m going to ask them, “What is the imperative of pulling out? What’s in it for the United States to pull out?” I don’t think they have an answer for that other than, “When’s he going to bring the troops home? Keep the troops safe,” whatever.

CALLER: Yeah.

RUSH: It’s not possible intellectually to follow these people.

CALLER: No, it’s not. And what’s really funny is they never talk to real soldiers. They pull these soldiers that come up out of the blue and spout to the media.

RUSH: The phony soldiers.

CALLER: Phony soldiers. If you talk to any real soldier and they’re proud to serve, they want to be over in Iraq, they understand their sacrifice and they’re willing to sacrifice for the country.

RUSH: They joined to be in Iraq.

CALLER: A lot of people.

RUSH: You know where you’re going these days, the last four years, if you sign up. The odds are you’re going there or Afghanistan, or somewhere.
So. Take that for what you will. The caller, someone in the military, calls them phony soldiers and limbaugh echos him. Now, let's disect that a little. The caller, not rush, seems to be infering that the soldiers who the media finds like this actualy phony soldier whom Rush discussed, according to Media Matters within mintues of this phone call, Jesse McBeth who was
MacBeth was sentenced Friday to five months in jail and three years' probation for falsifying a Department of Veterans Affairs claim and an Army discharge record.
and
Under a plea agreement in May, MacBeth admitted guilt to falsifying a claim for veterans compensation benefits and altering his military discharge record, which was issued after he washed out of Army boot camp after 44 days in 2003.

A thin man who sat quietly looking down through most of the hearing, MacBeth apologized for snookering anti-war groups with his claims of killing unarmed, helpless civilians in Iraq -- which were translated into Arabic and posted on the Internet -- and also to U.S. soldiers whom he defamed.

MacBeth said he felt bad for what he did.

"I'm sorry not only for lying about everything and discrediting anti-war groups, but also for defaming the real heroes, the soldiers out there sacrificing for their country," MacBeth said. "I was trying to pull a fast one, to make money to get off the streets."
Now, you can disagree and say that's not what kind of "phony soldier" the caller and Rush were talking about, and you might be right, although they seem to be pretty connected when you read the transcript and Rush's talking about this guy in the same breath practically. Either way it's a little unclear but considering the amount of respect among the military for Rush it's more likely he holds soldiers in pretty high esteem.
I will say this. I disagree with the caller and Rush if they mean that you can't be a good soldier and have a differing opinon. HOWEVER, with many family members and my own wife in the military I KNOW that legally you are not allowed to voice that dissent while in the service and even when a soldier doesn't like his duty he does it unless it's against the law.

Let's see, what else?
, celebrated racism with a song like "Barack the Magic Negro", or stated that someone with a life long debilitating disease was "faking for sympathy".
I almost don't want to do this because anyone who can google can find out what the deal with this song is and I feel I might be insulting your intelligence if I don't let you find out for yourself. But let's take that risk shall we? Lets see:
The song builds upon David Ehrenstein's assertion in the Los Angeles Times that Barack Obama would serve as a "magical negro" to assuage white guilt. [4] The song's lyrics explicitly refer to this:
"Yeah, the guy from the L.A. paper
Said he makes guilty whites feel good
They’ll vote for him, and not for me
‘Cause he’s not from the hood.[5]
In the song, the singer impersonates activist Al Sharpton by using a megaphone while singing the song.
This is from the not exactly conservative Ehrenstein's actual LA Times op-ed:
"Like a comic-book superhero, Obama is there to help, out of the sheer goodness of a heart we need not know or understand. For as with all Magic Negroes, the less real he seems, the more desirable he becomes. If he were real, white America couldn't project all its fantasies of curative black benevolence on him."[/quote][/quote]
So. In poor taste? Sure. Wise? Nope. Parody of an LA Times article? Obviously. A celebration of racism? I have no idea how one gets there. Makes me wonder if you have even heard the song or read the original article or just read the dailykos talking points on it. But I doubt that, you are far to smart to just do that so I will assume you just have a very distrubingly different view of it.
Now, here's the deal. I don't really care. Rush can say and do whatever he wants and the left will just keep on hating him. Thats fine. He makes money off it. Thats why he does what he does. I will even say that with my 3 seconds of google search to find all this out it could be that CNN, Media Matters, the Seattle PI all lied about it all and it was all racist and hateful towards soldiers. Everyone has to decide what people mean when they say controversial things on both sides of the aisle and thats alright, but you made some pretty serious accusations there and in my opinion the actual facts dont' back any of that up. He maybe be all of those things but not based on these two instances IMHO.

Espy said:
A lot of good points-
True, Espy, true. I was just trying to point out that he has a history of, shall we say, controversy. I just think the GOP could be taken more seriously if this was not the type of person who is apologized to every time he says something controversial and someone stands up to it.

Krisken said:
Espy said:
A lot of good points-
True, Espy, true. I was just trying to point out that he has a history of, shall we say, controversy. I just think the GOP could be taken more seriously if this was not the type of person who is apologized to every time he says something controversial and someone stands up to it.
Absolutley. He's controversial. But controversial is VERY different from racist and hateful towards soldiers. I'm no regular listener to the guy, far to republican for me but I have heard enough of HIM (not just reading about him or hearing a 5 second sound bite) to know those things aren't true (I'm not saying he hasn't said dumb things, far from it I could name a handful). And I don't know of any other "apology" made to him by republicans but from what I read Steele offered an apology based on something he said, so it was personal. In fact here, this is from your story you linked:
Steele said: “I wasn’t trying to offend anybody. So, yeah, if he’s offended, I’d say: Look, I’m not in the business of hurting people’s feelings here. … My job is to try to bring us all together.”
Thats actually classy, not "sniveling". This guys job is to hold together a party that has to wear XXL diapers to stop the shit from leaking on the floor so they get a guy who wants to hold things together. Thats not a bad thing.
Thanks for being classy yourself Kris. You are a good BFF.

Espy said:
Krisken said:
Espy said:
A lot of good points-
Absolutley. He's controversial. But controversial is VERY different from racist and hateful towards soldiers. I'm no regular listener to the guy, far to republican for me but I have heard enough of HIM (not just reading about him or hearing a 5 second sound bite) to know those things aren't true (I'm not saying he hasn't said dumb things, far from it I could name a handful). And I don't know of any other "apology" made to him by republicans but from what I read Steele offered an apology based on something he said, so it was personal. In fact here, this is from your story you linked:
Steele said: “I wasn’t trying to offend anybody. So, yeah, if he’s offended, I’d say: Look, I’m not in the business of hurting people’s feelings here. … My job is to try to bring us all together.”
Thats actually classy, not "sniveling". This guys job is to hold together a party that has to wear XXL diapers to stop the shit from leaking on the floor so they get a guy who wants to hold things together. Thats not a bad thing.
Thanks for being classy yourself Kris. You are a good BFF.
Lol, I try.

The other Republican leader who apologized to Rush Limbaugh after he called them out would be when Phil Gingrey complained to Politico that people like Rush stand back and throw bricks instead of offering real leadership.

The response by
GINGREY: Rush, thank you so much. I thank you for the opportunity, of course this is not exactly the way to I wanted to come on. … Mainly, I want to express to you and all your listeners my very sincere regret for those comments I made yesterday to Politico. … I clearly ended up putting my foot in my mouth on some of those comments. … I regret those stupid comments.
LIMBAUGH: Well, look, I appreciate that. … I’m glad that you called.

Response by Steele
“My intent was not to go after Rush – I have enormous respect for Rush Limbaugh,” Steele said in a telephone interview. “I was maybe a little bit inarticulate. … There was no attempt on my part to diminish his voice or his leadership.” […]

“I went back at that tape and I realized words that I said weren’t what I was thinking,” Steele said. “It was one of those things where I thinking I was saying one thing, and it came out differently. What I was trying to say was a lot of people … want to make Rush the scapegoat, the bogeyman, and he’s not.”

Honestly, it really doesn't matter to me. I find it strangely mesmerizing to watch elected officials apologize to a self described entertainer.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Why does that asshole have the same name as my favorite band? Each time I catch a mention of his name, I keep expecting to hear about a new album. Damn, it's such a let down.

Espy said:
I almost don't want to do this because anyone who can google can find out what the deal with this song is and I feel I might be insulting your intelligence if I don't let you find out for yourself. But let's take that risk shall we? Lets see:
The song builds upon David Ehrenstein's assertion in the Los Angeles Times that Barack Obama would serve as a "magical negro" to assuage white guilt. [4] The song's lyrics explicitly refer to this:
"Yeah, the guy from the L.A. paper
Said he makes guilty whites feel good
They’ll vote for him, and not for me
‘Cause he’s not from the hood.[5]
In the song, the singer impersonates activist Al Sharpton by using a megaphone while singing the song.
This is from the not exactly conservative Ehrenstein's actual LA Times op-ed:
[quote:10pcl9l5]"Like a comic-book superhero, Obama is there to help, out of the sheer goodness of a heart we need not know or understand. For as with all Magic Negroes, the less real he seems, the more desirable he becomes. If he were real, white America couldn't project all its fantasies of curative black benevolence on him."
So. In poor taste? Sure. Wise? Nope. Parody of an LA Times article? Obviously. A celebration of racism? I have no idea how one gets there. Makes me wonder if you have even heard the song or read the original article or just read the dailykos talking points on it. But I doubt that, you are far to smart to just do that so I will assume you just have a very distrubingly different view of it.
[/quote:10pcl9l5]

You know what I find racist about the whole thing? The fact that Al Sharpton NEVER SAID ANYTHING LIKE IT. Now, you can make fun of Ehrenstein's op-ed, parody the "Barack the Magic Negro" line without being racist. But guess what, Ehrenstein is not Al Sharpton. Just assuming that he feels that way because Al's black and Obama is black, well, yes, that's very, very wrong to me. It steps over the line.

Krisken said:
Honestly, it really doesn't matter to me. I find it strangely mesmerizing to watch elected officials apologize to a self described entertainer.
Important to realize that out of his 20 million listeners probably close to 100% of them are Republican voters (italicized for emphasis, as I feel there is a difference between a republican/democrat and a republican/democrat voter).

Covar said:
Krisken said:
Important to realize that out of his 20 million listeners probably close to 100% of them are Republican voters (italicized for emphasis, as I feel there is a difference between a republican/democrat and a republican/democrat voter).
Which is a drop in the bucket when you consider that there are an estimated 305,769,000 people in the United States.

Krisken said:
Covar said:
Krisken said:
Which is a drop in the bucket when you consider that there are an estimated 305,769,000 people in the United States.
President Obama won the election with a popular vote of 66,882,230 people. Senator McCain lost the election with a popular vote of 58,343,671 people. Assuming every single listener in Rush's ~20 million audience votes, thats roughly 1/3 of the republican vote and a little less than 1/6 of the voters in the country.

source

Covar said:
Krisken said:
Covar said:
Krisken said:
President Obama won the election with a popular vote of 66,882,230 people. Senator McCain lost the election with a popular vote of 58,343,671 people. Assuming every single listener in Rush's ~20 million audience votes, thats roughly 1/3 of the republican vote and a little less than 1/6 of the voters in the country.

source
Lol, that's one hell of an assumption.

possibly, but I feel its safe to say that people who listen to or watch hardline political shows are more likely to be voters than those who don't. Of course I could be very wrong and someone may have done studies on such things, in which case I would gladly retract it.

For the record, the Daily Show and Colbert Report IMO are not considered hardline political shows.

Covar said:
For the record, the Daily Show and Colbert Report IMO are not considered hardline political shows.
They're weird. It's like some kind of hybrid between comedy and hardline politics. I think that hour of television occupies a unique space in American culture (political or otherwise).

GasBandit

Staff member
Sorry for the tardiness, gents, work is still kicking my ass and I had to rearrange all the furniture in my office today. So, without further ado -

Port St. Lucie down on the east coast of Florida has come up with a way to handle its foreclosure crisis .. declare itself a disaster area. Yeah, as if a hurricane of irresponsibility has swept through.

Take a look at this article from ABC News: Upper-Income Taxpayers Look for Ways to Sidestep Obama Tax-Hike Plan. This is real, folks. This isn't me typing out a summary of Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged." Read the article and tell me how Obama's tax plans are going to be a benefit to our society.

Taxpayers for Common Sense has compiled a list of the top 10 Senate earmakers in this $410 billion omnibus spending bill.

We've lost $3 trillion in American wealth since the election. Investors are walking away. Capital is on strike. Why? According to Investor's Business Daily, the people with the money just have no confidence in the person with the power. Not good.

How about a double-dip recession? Now THAT'S change we can believe in. Just do everything exactly opposite of what Reagan did to get out of the 1981 recession .. and expect it to work.

Saw this one coming .. Obama is willing to drop the missile shield plan in Eastern Europe so that Russia will help pressure Iran on its nuclear program.

The Obama administration has made public some secret anti-terrorism documents from the Bush administration.

A case being heard today before the Supreme Court might determine just how far the Congress can go in regulating political speech. Heads up.

Pat Buchanan says that it is pitchfork time.

Blago gets six-figure advance to write a book. Anyone got six-figures? I can start writing immediately.

This one is going to cause trouble. Thomas Sowell writes a column on the eloquence of Adolf Hitler. Then he mentions Ronald Reagan and ... (gasp!) Barack Obama. Before the end of the day somebody is going to be screaming that Sowell has suggested that Obama is Hitler.

The CEO of Freddie Mac is resigning after just six months. That's never a good sign.

Roll Call columnist Stuart Rothenberg wonders if the Republicans can loose even more seats in congress. Well .. judging by their continuing betrayal of their supports with mucho pork in the latest budget bill... I would say the answer is "yes."

Here we have yet another Barack Obama nominee with tax issues. This time it is Ron Kirk, the nominee for US Trade Representatives, who owes nearly $10,000. He says he will pay up.

Democrats want to drag some of the Obama children's classmates out of their Sidwell Friends school and send them back to government schools. Will Obama stand up for these children? What? Are you kidding me? Not only no, but hell no. Not with the teacher's unions watching his every move.

A bipartisan bill has been introduced that would consolidate and centralize the information on how banks use bailout money. What a concept!

Pennsylvania's had it up to here with Arlen Specter.

Apparently Nancy Pelosi has a naughty list .. would you care to see who is on it?

The Obama administration is still trying to fight the birth certificate crowd. Give it up, folks. The guy is president.

Remember the new $621 million Capitol Visitor Center in Washington? Turns out to be more trouble than it's worth. Sounds about right for government.

Want to take any guesses as to the median price of a home sold in Detroit lately? I'll give you a hint ... $7,500. No I am not missing any zeros.

A new study is out: "Freedom in the 50 States: Index of Personal and Economic Freedom." Can you guess which states are ranked as the most "free"?

One out of every 55 residents in Louisiana is incarcerated, making it the #1 incarceration rate in the country.

K

Kitty Sinatra

GasBandit said:
Take a look at this article from ABC News: Upper-Income Taxpayers Look for Ways to Sidestep Obama Tax-Hike Plan. This is real, folks. This isn't me typing out a summary of Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged." Read the article and tell me how Obama's tax plans are going to be a benefit to our society.
Oh. My. God. People want to lower their declared income in order to pay less income tax. That. Is. Radical. That has never happened. Not at any other tax bracket. Holy shit, Gas. The people quoted in that article are not new, are not special because they're making a quarter of a million dollars. They're like the people who say they'd refuse a promotion because it would put them just into the next higher tax bracket. That is, they're more than likely mythological (even when they're quoted by ABC)

Dieb said:
You know what I find racist about the whole thing? The fact that Al Sharpton NEVER SAID ANYTHING LIKE IT. Now, you can make fun of Ehrenstein's op-ed, parody the "Barack the Magic Negro" line without being racist. But guess what, Ehrenstein is not Al Sharpton. Just assuming that he feels that way because Al's black and Obama is black, well, yes, that's very, very wrong to me. It steps over the line.
If THAT really sets off your racist alarm I would suggest NOT watching any of the following: The Daily Show, Family Guy, South Park, Chappelle Show, Saturday Night Live and in general anything that does parody. They will blow your alarm sky high.

GasBandit said:
Saw this one coming .. Obama is willing to drop the missile shield plan in Eastern Europe so that Russia will help pressure Iran on its nuclear program.
I know I'd take that deal. Iran's nuclear program is FAR more important than the missile shield, and if we had Russian support, we'd have a lot more leverage on Iran. Not only is Russia providing cover on the UN Security Council for Iran, they're also selling them tons of weapons, as well as fuel for the Nuclear reactors.

How about a double-dip recession? Now THAT'S change we can believe in. Just do everything exactly opposite of what Reagan did to get out of the 1981 recession .. and expect it to work.
Worrying about a double-dip recession is a little premature. We've yet to hit bottom. Moreover, Reagan didn't have much to do with the 1981 recession. The recession was started by Paul Volcker (chairman of the Federal Reserve at the time) raising interest rates a huge amount to combat inflation. When inflation got back down, Volcker let interst rates go back down, thus ending the recession.

We've lost $3 trillion in American wealth since the election. Investors are walking away. Capital is on strike. Why? According to Investor's Business Daily, the people with the money just have no confidence in the person with the power. Not good.
The stock market continues to fall because we're in the worst recession the US has experienced in 60 years. And it will get lower. Not because of Obama. But because the p/e ratio just hit 12.3 (http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/ ... affordable). Below the stock market's long term average of about 16, true. But still far above the 6 or 7 that it hit in the 1930s and 1980s in recessions.

If THAT really sets off your racist alarm I would suggest NOT watching any of the following: The Daily Show, Family Guy, South Park, Chappelle Show, Saturday Night Live and in general anything that does parody. They will blow your alarm sky high.
I've seen all of those shows, and loved all of them. But guess what? Those shows were actually funny. Do you actually find the "Barack the Magic Negro" song funny? Does anyone?

Dieb said:
I've seen all of those shows, and loved all of them. But guess what? Those shows were actually funny. Do you actually find the "Barack the Magic Negro" song funny? Does anyone?
Whether or not something is funny to you or me does not change it being parody or satire or make it automically "racist". Say what you will but if you want to call that racist I suggest you get Lorne Micheals on the phone about his animated short with Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and B.Obama. Or get Chappelle on the phone for all the skits about "n*ggers he did when he was on TV. Maybe you should call Gwen Ifill of PBS and explain why you don't like her book "Breakthrough: Politics in the Age of OBama" where she discusses the old guard like Jackson and Sharpton and their issues with young black politicians like Obama and how he isn't "Black" enough to them.

You seem like a reasonable person Mr. Dieb (if that is your real name :paranoid: ) so I'm just asking if you REALLY think that bit of (crappy) parody is truly racist. Cause if it is... well I guess we just have to agree to disagree. :heythere:

GasBandit said:
GB, maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it seems like you're assigning part of the blame for the current severe downturn to Obama's administration. Is that an accurate portrayal of what you're saying? Now, I can go along with the possibility that this lack of faith could hinder the rebuilting process, but I don't see how anyone can reasonably pin any of the actual fall on the current two month old administration. Or am I misinterpreting your statement?

A Troll said:
GasBandit said:
GB, maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it seems like you're assigning part of the blame for the current severe downturn to Obama's administration. Is that an accurate portrayal of what you're saying? Now, I can go along with the possibility that this lack of faith could hinder the rebuilting process, but I don't see how anyone can reasonably pin any of the actual fall on the current two month old administration. Or am I misinterpreting your statement?
As I've come to understand how the argument plays out, it goes something like this...
The economy during the Clinton administration didn't improve because of Clinton because it takes years for economic policy to effect. However, Obama is so magical that his policy can cause the economy to crumple in just one month of his time in office.

Krisken said:
A Troll said:
GasBandit said:
As I've come to understand how the argument plays out, it goes something like this...
The economy during the Clinton administration didn't improve because of Clinton because it takes years for economic policy to effect. However, Obama is so magical that his policy can cause the economy to crumple in just one month of his time in office.
Economic policies generally take about several years before any real effect can be seen.

I blame the hype around obama. He's just that magical. I mean. Look, he's Obama. He's the messiah come to save America from Bush. And he'll magically create factories and jobs within seconds if he wants to.

Oh please. Not even Chuck Norris can do that.

Futureking said:
Krisken said:
A Troll said:
GasBandit said:
Economic policies generally take about several years before any real effect can be seen.

I blame the hype around obama. He's just that magical. I mean. Look, he's Obama. He's the messiah come to save America from Bush. And he'll magically create factories and jobs within seconds if he wants to.

Oh please. Not even Chuck Norris can do that.
I just hope it works

Espy said:
Whether or not something is funny to you or me does not change it being parody or satire or make it automically "racist". Say what you will but if you want to call that racist I suggest you get Lorne Micheals on the phone about his animated short with Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and B.Obama. Or get Chappelle on the phone for all the skits about "n*ggers he did when he was on TV. Maybe you should call Gwen Ifill of PBS and explain why you don't like her book "Breakthrough: Politics in the Age of OBama" where she discusses the old guard like Jackson and Sharpton and their issues with young black politicians like Obama and how he isn't "Black" enough to them.

You seem like a reasonable person Mr. Dieb (if that is your real name :paranoid: ) so I'm just asking if you REALLY think that bit of (crappy) parody is truly racist. Cause if it is... well I guess we just have to agree to disagree. :heythere:
Oh man, post eaten. And it was so good. Ok, time for a rewrite: just because someone, somewhere, thinks that something they've said or done is parody or satire doesn't mean that what they've said or done is not racist. I'm sure that mayor who sent an e-mail with a picture of the whitehouse surrounded by a watermelon patch thought that he was being very funny. Now, I'm not saying the song is as bad as that. It's on the line. And maybe it's just because Limbaugh has said other things that make me cringe, so I grade him harder. For example, this comment:

Hey, Barack Obama has picked up another endorsement: Halfrican American actress Halle Berry. "As a Halfrican American, I am honored to have Ms. Berry's support, as well as the support of other Halfrican Americans.
Now, I have a problem with that statement. Just as I have a problem with the phrase "Barack the Magic Negro". It's ugly and dehumanizing. Now, if it had been funny, that'd be another thing. Like SNL and Chappelle, you know that they are joking, at least in part because they are actually funny. And Gwen Ifill is a silly comparison, she was having a serious discussion about the issues involved, which I think we can all agree Limbaugh was not going for. Now, obviously, funny is an arbitrary standard. People can certainly differ on these kinds of matters. I'm just saying, FOR ME, it crossed the line. I'm not advocating any action based on this. Just that it's not the sort of thing that I would want to do, nor would people that I respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.