Gas Bandit's AMAAPS

GasBandit

Ask me about my Reprehensible Filth
Staff member
Ask Me Anything About Pork Sausage.

(I guess you can ask other stuff, too, but I might not answer that if I don't feel like it)

PatrThom

Genuinely Curious
Have you always been a cat person?

Do you dread @stienman's question block?

What do you really look for in a pair of shoes?

What would it take for you to finally be comfortable entertaining guests in your abode?

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Have you always been a cat person?

Do you dread @stienman's question block?

What do you really look for in a pair of shoes?

What would it take for you to finally be comfortable entertaining guests in your abode?

--Patrick
1) I actually am an animal person of all stripes. I've owned cats and dogs multiple times in the past, going back to childhood. Most often, though, my pets find me - I have a bad habit of adopting strays.

2) Oh lord, with every fiber of my being.

3) Comfort uber alles, though convenience is a close second. I have wide feet, so finding a pair that doesn't squeeze is often a challenge. That's why I end up with sandals so often.

4) A new abode. And I'm working on that.

GasBandit

Staff member
Are you ever going to be able to eat pork sausage again?
Hell yeah. I'd eat the hell out of some pork sausage right this very instant. Well, 3 or 4 bites of it, anyway. So long as it hasn't got hairs growin' all over it.[DOUBLEPOST=1518540416,1518540402][/DOUBLEPOST]
You really sure you don't want to be put on Nueske's catalog mailing list?
I never said I didn't!

Denbrought

The Last Dancelord
How tall are you?

Do you prefer your sausage with or without casing?

What's one non-puerile word that makes you smile (inside your brain, if not with your mouth) in most situations?

What is your favorite form or example of polity, present or past? What about future/theoretical?

Do you like pork rinds? If so, do you prefer fat-on or fat-off ones?

What's your favorite animal?

Bubble181

The odd one out
Emotionally, what would it take for you to be able to be a part of a relationship again?

Would you want to have a partner again?

What, besides red hair and a depraved mind, would you say are absolute musts, or, on the other hand, complete no-no's?

If you had the choice between all Halforumites except yourself, who would you name President of the United States?

If you had the choice between all Halforumites except yourself, who would you throw into a ball pit with 6 buxom redheaded 20-something ladies with all the right curves in all the right places?

Owlet or ducklet?

Have you, in fact, ever eaten a pork sausage and found it had hairs or other unsavory things growing in or on it?

Let's assume you have full control over your radio station(s). What would be the line, for you, to decide not to play a song/air a commercial, based on content?

GasBandit

Staff member
How tall are you?

Do you prefer your sausage with or without casing?

What's one non-puerile word that makes you smile (inside your brain, if not with your mouth) in most situations?

What is your favorite form or example of polity, present or past? What about future/theoretical?

Do you like pork rinds? If so, do you prefer fat-on or fat-off ones?

What's your favorite animal?
1) 5'9". I used to be 5'11". I am disconcerted about that. Probably a combination of aging and my weight compressing my spine.

2) I have no strong feelings one way or the other. I love sausage, casing or not.

3) Hrmm... "Extrude." Heh heh heh...

4) I don't know that I have a "favorite" in the past. I've kind of let politics go to the wayside a little bit, but I still consider myself libertarian. I think individuals, and humanity as a whole, are served best through competition. However, the problem with competition is that when one winner starts getting too far ahead, the competition ends. So there does need to be something that hammers down the nails that stick out farthest - like breaking up Ma Bell. My ideal theoretical situation would be a government that does all it can to foster competition, and at the same time, breaking up monolithic entities whose very presence is by nature anticompetitive. For example, right now there are a lot of ISPs and Cable companies that could do with some fracturing, if you ask me.

5) Ehhh, pork rinds not so much, the "burned" taste is not really my thing.

6) I am not sure that I have one! As I said previously, I've owned many different animal pets in the past (and not just cats and dogs), but if I was pressed into choosing, I guess I'd probably lean ever so slightly toward dogs.

GasBandit

Staff member
Emotionally, what would it take for you to be able to be a part of a relationship again?

Would you want to have a partner again?

What, besides red hair and a depraved mind, would you say are absolute musts, or, on the other hand, complete no-no's?

If you had the choice between all Halforumites except yourself, who would you name President of the United States?

If you had the choice between all Halforumites except yourself, who would you throw into a ball pit with 6 buxom redheaded 20-something ladies with all the right curves in all the right places?

Owlet or ducklet?

Have you, in fact, ever eaten a pork sausage and found it had hairs or other unsavory things growing in or on it?

Let's assume you have full control over your radio station(s). What would be the line, for you, to decide not to play a song/air a commercial, based on content?
1 & 2) At this point I think the only thing really holding me back from looking for a new relationship is my dissatisfaction with myself and my situation. To be frank (no, not that Frank), I've really, really let myself and everything around me go completely to hell over the last 5 years, and it's going to take some time to get things back to where I'm satisfied enough with myself to start putting myself out there again. But I'm working on all that.

3) I need someone that can hold up their end of a conversation. And it'd be nice if they liked to play video games - that more than anything was the cement that held my last relationship together - well, that and all the sex.

4) Stienman/Covar 2020.

5) This question irritates me. But, if I am allowed a camera, I'd say Amy. :devil:

6) What the hell is a ducklet?

7) Nothing worse than a bone chunk, really. Sausage doesn't last long enough around me to start growing things.

8) Unfortunately, the line is drawn for me by the FCC. Any kind of spoken obscenity has to go, or I could get a fine. Beyond that (or even in the absence of it), my choice of music would be entirely driven by the tastes of the demographic I'm trying to target. See, one thing you learn very quickly in radio is that the station is not your personal stereo, to play what you want to hear. You've got to play what most other people (or at least most other people of a chosen gender between the ages of 12 and 45) want to listen to. That's the first step to getting listeners (though definitely not the last, and maybe even not the most important). Obviously, I'd stick to branding as well (no playing country songs on a rock station, no playing rap on an oldies station, etc) because failing to do that pisses off your listenership. Commercials, though, I have a much more stringent cutoff - even though there isn't a law against it, I refuse to allow any commercial produced under my watch to have things like police sirens or tire scrubbing - the kind of things that can panic a driver into getting into a wreck. I also heavily discourage commercials with any kind of alarm or crashing noises, and I absolutely detest the ones that try to pass themselves off as some kind of news bulletin or emergency broadcast (in fact, I've had to veto a commercial going to air that wanted to have the actual Emergency Broadcast System tone in it - and that's not just me, that's by law). That kind of chicanery is beyond the pale, to me.[DOUBLEPOST=1518543141,1518542955][/DOUBLEPOST]
Miso, shoyu, or tonkotsu?

Wit or witout?

Paper or plastic?

Akeno or Koneko for second best girl?
1) You're going to gasp in horror, I know, but I've never had ramen of any greater authenticity than the cheap maru-chan stuff you get at the supermarket for 10 cents a brick. So I don't know which of those three I would prefer.

2) See above.

3) Plastic. Yes, I am one of those people who has a plastic bag full of plastic bags, for whenever I need a plastic bag.

4) Akeno. I ain't no loli-con.

Denbrought

The Last Dancelord
8) Unfortunately, the line is drawn for me by the FCC. Any kind of spoken obscenity has to go, or I could get a fine. Beyond that (or even in the absence of it), my choice of music would be entirely driven by the tastes of the demographic I'm trying to target. See, one thing you learn very quickly in radio is that the station is not your personal stereo, to play what you want to hear. You've got to play what most other people (or at least most other people of a chosen gender between the ages of 12 and 45) want to listen to. That's the first step to getting listeners (though definitely not the last, and maybe even not the most important). Obviously, I'd stick to branding as well (no playing country songs on a rock station, no playing rap on an oldies station, etc) because failing to do that pisses off your listenership. Commercials, though, I have a much more stringent cutoff - even though there isn't a law against it, I refuse to allow any commercial produced under my watch to have things like police sirens or tire scrubbing - the kind of things that can panic a driver into getting into a wreck. I also heavily discourage commercials with any kind of alarm or crashing noises, and I absolutely detest the ones that try to pass themselves off as some kind of news bulletin or emergency broadcast (in fact, I've had to veto a commercial going to air that wanted to have the actual Emergency Broadcast System tone in it - and that's not just me, that's by law). That kind of chicanery is beyond the pale, to me.
Bless you. I wish the radio stations in my area had people with your backbone.

GasBandit

Staff member
Bless you. I wish the radio stations in my area had people with your backbone.
And let me tell you, sometimes it's a struggle, because every body shop wants the sound of a car wreck in their spot. I don't always win the argument (like when the client is spending a LOT of money) but I make sure to modulate the crash sound so it is clearly not happening in real life.

So, what's on deck for the next Halforums Family event? Are we going back to the Academy? Stranded on another planet? Will there be muffalo? Should there be muffalo?

There should be muffalo. Always.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, what's on deck for the next Halforums Family event? Are we going back to the Academy? Stranded on another planet? Will there be muffalo? Should there be muffalo?

There should be muffalo. Always.
That's a tough question. It depends on a number of factors, such as what games come out that would be suitable. I feel like I've done Rimworld to death (after all, I've done 3 HF-themed rimworld playthroughs :p), and it doesn't look like there's going to be a third Artificial Academy game. Sims games, being EA, mean they'll only be available via Origin, which is a no-go for me... so in all honesty, I'm absolutely unsure as to what and when the next "Halforums Edition" game will be. But rest assured, I'm always on the lookout.

Dei

Always shooting Terrik
When are you going to finally admit to yourself that Colorado is the superior state and leave that swamp air state you live in?

GasBandit

Staff member
When are you going to finally admit to yourself that Colorado is the superior state and leave that swamp air state you live in?
I didn't leave Colorado willingly, the job market chased me out in '99. I got laid off at Oracle and couldn't find another job for 6 months, which chewed through most of my savings. Ended up going back to school down here, and then ended up staying after that when I got this radio job. If I'd had my 'druthers, I'd never have left. But these days, I think if I were to resettle, it'd probably be in New Mexico. I love the climate there, and it's equidistant driving from 90% of my relatives. Thing is, the job market in NM isn't much better than Colorado.

While there's a lot about Texas I like, there's also a lot I don't like - for all its image of rugged individualism and staunch conservative values, it's actually one of the most over-regulated busybody state governments. I often say "There's no bureaucrat like a Texas bureaucrat." We're not even a true open carry state (you still have to have a permit, and even THAT allowing you to open carry is a relatively new development). All the highway cops are power tripping, the local ATF has its nose in EVERYTHING (I've often told the story about how they once came to town, went into a hotel bar during a function and started arresting people because they MIGHT drive home drunk - even people who had secured a room for the night at that hotel, and when it blew up in the media, they said "we'll do whatever it takes to keep the public safe." Bunch of jackboots). All local politics is corrupt and insular, and it's amazing how much a part-time legislature can be all up in your business. That said, I do not miss having a state income tax!

As my father puts it, Texas is a great state to be from.

GasBandit

Staff member
The job market in Colorado is doing pretty well, it's the housing market that's the problem.
Well, it wasn't ~20 years ago. And once bitten, twice shy. But yeah, the housing market omg. I think the only way I might possibly get a house up there is if I inherit one.

GasBandit

Staff member
Best & worst things about living in Texas?

How long do you think you'd survive in the event of a zombie apocalypse?
1) the cost of living is incredibly low, and the job Market is great. Bad? Everything I said before, plus the heat and humidity.

2) Killed in a shootout with looters within the first week.

Dei

Always shooting Terrik
1) the cost of living is incredibly low, and the job Market is great. Bad? Everything I said before, plus the heat and humidity.

2) Killed in a shootout with looters within the first week.
Really I think you'd get eaten within hours, because you can't run (yet). How are the energy levels doing? Have you started walking yet? Will you play Pit People with me when it comes out of Early Access?

GasBandit

Staff member
Really I think you'd get eaten within hours, because you can't run (yet). How are the energy levels doing? Have you started walking yet? Will you play Pit People with me when it comes out of Early Access?
Well, I was making the assumption that my recovery would have progressed :p Even if that were not the case, my home is actually pretty darn defensible against anything that doesn't both outnumber me AND have firearms. One or the other, I can probably deal with... both... no. So... like I said. Killed by uninfected humans in the first week, in my home. That's also assuming I'm unable to get out of town/on the road first, which is a flip of the coin. If I did manage to get on the highway... eaten by a wandering horde within the first 2 weeks :p soon as I run out of ammo and gas.

Walking, yes, but not as often as I want to - weather has not been cooperative, it's been in the 30s here a lot the last couple weeks.

Pit People? Mmmmmaybe. Looking at it, I am not sure what to make of it, other than it sort of looks like turn-based Battleblock Theater?

DarkAudit

Room for rent
Dubs vs subs aside, is Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens your kinda thing?

Have you checked out Killing Bites yet?

Did you know that outside of certain hot button issues, you’re a damn good egg?

GasBandit

Staff member
Did you ever go a high school dance specifically to misbehave? If so, what happened?
My senior year I went to the homecoming dance explicitly because I had made a batch of nitrogen triiodide and wanted to scatter it on the dance floor.

See, NI3 is a very sensitive contact explosive. The explosion is weak, barely that of one of those snaps things everybody would throw around, but when it detonates it creates big purple clouds of iodine gas that stains EVERYTHING it touches.

Well, things didn't go quite according to plan. The first batch I made, I managed to get undiluted ammonia from the school chemistry lab to use as an ingredient. Gunzenbombz' Terrorist's Handbook, which I used for my recipe, says you have to be careful doing that, because it will make crystals so sensitive they will "detonate when an ant walks across it." Well, sure enough, it went off while I was allowing it to dry. So, I tried a second batch, with a much more diluted ammonia solution.

Those, unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately?) turned out to be not sensitive enough to go off when someone steps on them.

So, I had to fall back to plan B, and just set off several strings of firecrackers on the dance floor instead. And I got away with it. It was grand. The dude who did the morning announcements in the school cryptically gave me "props" in the middle of his reading, the next week, without any explanation for what I was getting "props" for.

I was a bit of a troublemaker in high school. I did some dumb/hilarious/dangerous stuff.

Denbrought

The Last Dancelord
My senior year I went to the homecoming dance explicitly because I had made a batch of nitrogen triiodide and wanted to scatter it on the dance floor.

See, NI3 is a very sensitive contact explosive. The explosion is weak, barely that of one of those snaps things everybody would throw around, but when it detonates it creates big purple clouds of iodine gas that stains EVERYTHING it touches.

Well, things didn't go quite according to plan. The first batch I made, I managed to get undiluted ammonia from the school chemistry lab to use as an ingredient. Gunzenbombz' Terrorist's Handbook, which I used for my recipe, says you have to be careful doing that, because it will make crystals so sensitive they will "detonate when an ant walks across it." Well, sure enough, it went off while I was allowing it to dry. So, I tried a second batch, with a much more diluted ammonia solution.

Those, unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately?) turned out to be not sensitive enough to go off when someone steps on them.

So, I had to fall back to plan B, and just set off several strings of firecrackers on the dance floor instead. And I got away with it. It was grand. The dude who did the morning announcements in the school cryptically gave me "props" in the middle of his reading, the next week, without any explanation for what I was getting "props" for.

I was a bit of a troublemaker in high school. I did some dumb/hilarious/dangerous stuff.
Welp, thanks for the written confession, copy-of-teenage-GasBandit's-brain. The real you is getting expelled.

Wow, you were advanced. We were using Jolly Roger's Cookbook and trying to make Nitroglycerin and Napalm. Then our science teacher found out and showed us up by making (and demonstrating) Thermite. We decided to leave it to the pros.

GasBandit

Staff member
Wow, you were advanced. We were using Jolly Roger's Cookbook and trying to make Nitroglycerin and Napalm. Then our science teacher found out and showed us up by making (and demonstrating) Thermite. We decided to leave it to the pros.
Not all of my hijinks were that fancy. Some of my favorites were, after I got a color inkjet printer (faaaancy!), getting those plastic transparency sheets, printing out porn JPGs, and then supergluing them to walls/lockers/bathroom stalls/etc.

I'm still kind of disappointed the guys running the school's underground newspaper wouldn't let me on board. The stuff I wanted to publish made them uneasy (mostly it was excerpts from various usenet posts we both probably know about :p ).

PatrThom

Genuinely Curious
Ah, to be young again.

...that is, back to when everyone assumed that a 13-or-so-yr-old would not know how to get up to such hijinx. Those certainly were the days.

—Patrick

Squidleybits

Pika Pika Choo Choo!
Did you have a traumatic experience involving pork sausages with hairs growing out of them?

Do you have a food phobia in general related to food with hair in it? (I certainly do, my kid found hair in their Mac and cheese hot lunch at school and I nearly threw up when they told me.)

What is your opinion on the age old battle between Coke and Pepsi?

GasBandit

Staff member
Did you have a traumatic experience involving pork sausages with hairs growing out of them?

Do you have a food phobia in general related to food with hair in it? (I certainly do, my kid found hair in their Mac and cheese hot lunch at school and I nearly threw up when they told me.)

What is your opinion on the age old battle between Coke and Pepsi?
1) Not at all. It's just a reference that got out of hand and now I can't stop.

2) I wouldn't call it a phobia exactly, but naturally I would prefer my food to not have hair in it.

3) Regular Coke, but Diet Pepsi.