[NHL] Game of Thrones on Ice (aka the NHL Hockey Thread)

Yeah. I bet Olberman salivated over that Deceptions and Doublecross book.

I personally give Toronto the benefit of the doubt that their first two seasons in the NHL were, in fact, the precursor to the Leafs.

But they were still an expansion team.

KO gives us a history lesson...
As much as I can't stand Olberman, I have to love this video. I've said it before, but the biggest detriment to this sport is the NHL and certain fans obsession with the original six. It's incredibly exclusionary.

I don't bother to debate the creation of the original 6 I just point out that the expansion has been around longer than original 6 era.

Oh, that's right, I forgot, you're on that bandwagon too.

(Shrug) It takes all kinds.

You do know Fisher is a few weeks away from coming back, right?

===

In other news: If you did not catch that epic Kings-Ducks game last night, FOR SHAME!

That game was the prime example why the NHL should consider going to a 10-minute OT instead of five and a shootout.

If on that bandwagon means I was born in/lived in Nashville and started going to Predators games when I was 12, and had at least partial season tickets until I left the state at age 21, and openly wept with joy when they won their first playoff series, etc. etc., I'm on the bandwagon.

Were you 12 in 1997? Because that was when I became a fan of the Nashville NHL team.

I voted for "Sabrecats".

:p

Anyways - Intra-divisional game tonight. Apparently, the Blues were the cause of the mumps outbreak in the NHL, by the way - so surgical gloves and PPE's for everyone!

The Nashville Predators played 64 minutes of good hockey last night - and one absolutely horrid minute.

Fortunately, the horrid minute did not come back to haunt them, as they won in the shootout.

50 shots on goal, plus the four in the shootout, on Roberto Luongo. And only three made it into the back of the net.

Yeah, of course not. :rolleyes:

You know, you could make a pretty darn good all-star squad out of the players who have either had confirmed cases of the mumps, or are "alleged" to have had them.

From Hockey's Future message boards:

CONFIRMED CASES:
Anaheim:
Corey Perry - Nov. 12
Francois Beauchemin - Nov. 12
Clayton Stoner - Nov. 28
Emerson Etem - Dec. 5

Minnesota:
Christian Folin - late October
Keith Ballard - late October
Marco Scandella - Nov. 13
Jonas Brodin - Nov. 13
Ryan Suter - Dec. 4

N.Y. Rangers:
Tanner Glass - Nov. 29

New Jersey:
Adam Larsson - Dec. 10
Travis Zajac - Dec. 10

SUSPECTED CASES:
St. Louis:
Jori Lehtera - late October
Vladimir Tarasenko - late October
Ryan Reaves - late October
Unknown other Blues players - late October

Pittsburgh:
Sidney Crosby - Dec. 12

Montreal:
Bryan Allen - Dec. 12

OTHER CASE:
Tom Sestito - during the lockout contracted virus right before returning from England

Last edited:
The Leafs are once again winning games while being outshot by insane margins, which is part of why I haven't been in this thread this season. It's the same shit as last season and I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop (Well, okay, it already did for two games and they picked it back up. But it'll happen again.) Last season was so depressing I couldn't even bring myself to watch the playoffs.

But Komarov is always fun to watch. Or was, until he was injured.

Oh while I'm procrastinating and posting on here instead of doing my laundry or grocery shopping:

Rogers coverage is balls, why is Glen Healy still employed, and why would you hire any of the Star's sports reporters, especially Damien freaking Cox?!

Like I said, the shoe dropped for two games. Nashville and Buffalo. But the Leafs are 7-1-1 since then despite getting horrifically outshot on the reg in that time. It's the same pattern as last year and the collapse is coming unless this team smartens its defence up.

If Reimer or Bernier has a bad night, you get games like Nasvhille and Buffalo. If they have a hot night, we get games like Detroit or Calgary. But relying on insane Save percentage and shooting percentage is not going to be sustainable. I know I'm repeating a lot of analysts, but honestly you don't need to be an analyst or even to know what the statistics actually are to see that the Leafs have been getting badly outplayed night in night out and that it can't last.