[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Oscar season begets lots of movie watching for me. I always try to watch the best picture nominees, plus a few others.

This is gonna be a long ass list. I'll probably just spoiler everything to try and keep this nice and tidy.

Dunkirk
It was fine? It was another war movie. It was dark, I mean like grey, overcast, as per usual for Nolan. I did like that it was really light on dialogue. The story is mostly told through actions, just watching what everyone went through. You can feel the desperation instead of getting told how desperate they are, which I think was a nice change of pace, personally. Best picture though? Ehhhh, I dunno. Although, I'm sure I'm biased because...I honestly struggle with war-time movies. They're not my thing, I don't enjoy them. :/ Still, I think it's worth seeing, at least once.

Shape of Water
I'm honestly surprised at how much people are loving this, not because I disagree, I fucking loved this movie, but because it's so strange. It's typical Guillermo to me, it's beautiful and twisted and odd. The choices he made are just so interesting - the main girl is mute and only communicates through sign language. It's a love letter to old monster movies. I know he was heavily inspired by Creature from the Black Lagoon and such, which you can really tell, but it's still..it's own thing? I really liked it. It's my vibe, it's what I like and I'm really happy that Hollywood is giving praise to something that's so out in left field. And can Doug Jones get some appreciation because he is a GEM in Hollywood! A GEM!

Darkest Hour
Remember how I said I don't like war-time movies? It still applies! However, I see Darkest Hour as a character piece. And holy shit, Gary Oldman knocks it out of the park for me. I feel like it captures the time pretty beautifully. The costumes, the makeup, the casting, I enjoyed all of it. This is one the high end of the middle for me. It's not my favorite, but I enjoyed this more than many of the other Best Picture nominees. :D Absolutely recommend. I think it's interesting and deals with a time in history that gets skipped over here in the US - at least at my school it did. I didn't learn about this at all.

Get Out
This! THISSSS. I really loved this movie. It was touted as a horror movie and it definitely is, but it's so much more. It plays with the genre in interesting ways. It deserves the praise it's gotten, especially Jordan Peele for directing. I can't wait to see what he does next. This is one of the rare Oscar movies that I actually enjoyed. It wasn't some pretentious thing I just happened to be watching. It was interesting, and the dialogue was believable, casting was perfection, it was scary in a realistic way, even when dealing with unrealistic...horror? This is one I definitely want to purchase.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
This was my favorite, followed closely by Get Out. This felt like a movie that was made, as perfectly as possible and just so happens to be getting noticed for it, if that makes sense. What I mean is, it doesn't feel Oscar bait-y to me. It just feels like a movie. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. Frances McDormand is my choice for Best Actress. I hope she wins it because this movie rests squarely on her shoulders and she carries it off beautifully. What I like is the subtle things in her performance that tell you who she is as a character, small looks, tense shoulders, sighs, moments of weakness, but never allow anyone to see those moments, it's only the audience that witnesses it. I really, genuinely enjoyed watching this one.

Phantom Thread

So. I wanted to like this. I really really did, because I love Daniel Day-Lewis and I think Paul Thomas Anderson is a wonderful director. However...it just didn't excite me. It reminds me of every other Oscar movie where nothing happens in it. I do appreciate the beauty of what was created, especially with the fashion, but as for a story? It's lacking. I feel like it was supposed to be something deeper and I didn't get that. Maybe I'm just a PLEB that knows nothing and this movie is too 'high art' for me. I still appreciated it, but it wasn't exactly enjoyable. Also, can I just ask (SPOILER SPOILER ACTUAL SPOILER), what in the actual fuck kind of deal do him and his wife have?? Anytime he gets to over intense and they start having marital problems, she fucking poisons him just to slow him down?? With his knowledge!! K.

Call Me By Your Name

Honestly. I...don't know what to say about this? I know it's getting hyped to hell and I get it, but that doesn't mean I care...? It's not anything that resonated with me. The performances are subtle and Timothee Chalamet is wonderful, there's no denying that, but nothing happens. Like, at all. It's one of those Oscar movies that's about the art of it all - how it was filmed, the nuances of acting. There was a really stellar speech by Michael Stuhlbarg's character, he plays the father, and he has a moment that is really spectacular. But for me? It was just...nothing that I cared about. I'm glad people are getting something out of it, but I sure didn't.

Lady Bird
This movie has every ingredient to be absolutely annoying as fuck. It leans that way some, but I praise Greta Gerwig's directing because I think she saves this. I liked it overall. Again, it's more of a study on the human condition, if you will, nothing REALLY happens. But I think it's easy to connect with, the characters are so varied it's easy to see yourself in someone in the film, even if it's not the protagonist. I was more interested in this than a few others, at least it was quippy and kept my attention.

I, Tonya
I'm glad people are flipping their shit over this and while I think the acting was really really phenomenal, I was definitely impressed, but: I'd much rather just watch a documentary about it. Which I have. It felt silly to see a fake version of real events? I do very much appreciate the set up: they say in the first few seconds how unreliable everything is, how it's based on unreliable interviews and he said she said, which was smart. I like a lot about this, I wish it was just a movie about something else. The subject matter is what bothers me because, again, I'd rather watch The Price of Gold. Margot Robbie and Sebastion Stan deserve the praise though, can't dispute that. :)

Mudbound

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this?? I know it was nominated for some Oscars, but I've barely heard anything. It feels like something people would be jumping all over - maybe pandering, but in a good way? I really...felt affected by this. I'm a known movie cry-er, I cry at everything, however, this is the only Oscar movie that brought me to tears. And not sympathy/empathy tears, straight up, I am distressed by what is happening on screen tears. I think it talks about an interesting point in time in regards to race. There are interesting relationships/friendships between the characters. It's beautifully shot, and I hope it gets some more notice because I think it deserves to be seen by more people - it's on Netflix, maybe that's why it went under the radar?

I know I'm missing 'The Post' from my list, but I accidentally missed it in my watch marathon. Haahaa, oops! I'll get around to it sometime, I'm sure. WOOO MOVIES!

Dave

Staff member
I watched Justice League.

The only saving grace was I didn't pay for the privilege.
I didn't think it was that bad. I mean, it had its moments of terribleness, but overall it was serviceable.[DOUBLEPOST=1518465627,1518465344][/DOUBLEPOST]I've never even HEARD of Mudbound! But I just watched the trailer and I know what I'm going to watch tonight (or tomorrow if I get too distracted).

(Stupid autocorrect.)

Last edited:
Unleashed: Ridiculous rom-com involving a woman whose pets are magically transformed into men, and honestly, it was genuinely funny, almost entirely based on the performances of Justin Chatwin and Steve Howey as the pets personified. It reminded me of goofy crap I would watch as a kid that makes absolutely no sense but makes me laugh anyway (My Demon Lover anyone?).
I've seen that! Mainly because it has Robert Trebor in it. Also because it's just silly entertainment, much like Transylvania 6-5000.

--Patrick

I rewatched Wonder Woman this weekend. There is a scene where the Scottish Sniper lifts his kilt before the camp fire revealing that he is wearing underwear. My very first thought was, "No true Scotsman..."

GasBandit

Staff member
I rewatched Thor: Ragnarok at home this weekend. I don't know if it's the copy I torrented, or if my sound setup is lacking, but the audio just seemed to be missing the same awesome punch I felt in the theater. Which is a shame, the soundtrack really made an impression on me the first time.

Since my review of Annihilation is gone now, I'll jump into this thread and say people who like intelligent sci-fi/horror should see it when able.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm sick, so I've been watching a lot of movies.

The Hitman's Bodyguard - Very mixed. There are a lot of fun moments, but they're dragged down by poor structure.

Pete's Dragon - This movie would be better if they just deleted everything that wasn't adorable puppy-kitten-dragon. The adult actors aren't bad, but the script is. It's like they took the plot from one of those Sunday morning Christian audio dramas and plopped in a dragon, and some out of place malice to try to hide the plagiarism.

So Undercover - I knew this would be bad, but I wasn't sure it would be enjoyably bad. It's so stupid. I enjoyed it as a complete time waster while I'm feeling terrible, but I would not recommend it.

Paddington - This was fantastic. Really enjoyable.

I've heard good things about paddington 2, and my kids liked 1, so I'm thinking about buying it. Should probably rent it first to figure out the rewatchability.

Honestly, the Guardians dynamic felt off to me in this movie. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it was just them getting split up, or maybe Quill felt slightly off.

GasBandit

Staff member
Honestly, the Guardians dynamic felt off to me in this movie. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it was just them getting split up, or maybe Quill felt slightly off.
Well, part of it, I think,

was that the fight with Thanos required Quill to be holding the idiot ball.

I mean, he's not exactly a brain trust, I know, but this seemed egregiously stupid.

For me the movie left me feeling down which is fine, kind of.
I can take an ESB-downer. I really feel like they are going to kill Captain America and/or Iron Man. I don't know if I want to watch that. I suspect that Spidey, Black Panther, GotG-gang (minus Gamora) will come back. It would be a super-downer if they kill off Cap. I assume they are going to try to end on a RotJ happy note (though that one is bittersweet). I also hope they don't kill Thor. They can't, right? Ugh. I don't even care if they kill Banner. I am still excited for Captain Marvel and how it will play into this story.

Yeah, I liked all of Rocket's dialogue.

Kinda feel like the black sheep cause I didn't care for Infinity War all that much??

There is a lot to love, don't get me wrong - I found the writing still pretty tight and I actually think they did a pretty good job balancing ALLLLL the characters they gotta deal with - but...

There's just so much that has to happen that I found the build up uninspiring. I'm a movie WEEPER, I cry at the drop of a hat and the only moment that made my heart even a little sad was when Peter is clinging on to Tony. The whole film just didn't do it for me. There's gaping questions that haven't been answered, I'm sure they'll get to it, but it just felt like a big ol' part 1. Nothing about it feels final, so I can't take anyone's 'death' seriously, which is fine, I mean, I know that's normal comic fare, but I left the theatre feeling...indifferent?

Side: Can someone help me understand (aside from IZ IN ZE COMICS) why they would do this great buildup of Thor not needing his hammer in Ragnarok and then IMMEDIATELY take that back for Infinity War?

I would chalk this up to the absence of James Gunn. Directors really do matter.

Kinda feel like the black sheep cause I didn't care for Infinity War all that much??

There is a lot to love, don't get me wrong - I found the writing still pretty tight and I actually think they did a pretty good job balancing ALLLLL the characters they gotta deal with - but...

There's just so much that has to happen that I found the build up uninspiring. I'm a movie WEEPER, I cry at the drop of a hat and the only moment that made my heart even a little sad was when Peter is clinging on to Tony. The whole film just didn't do it for me. There's gaping questions that haven't been answered, I'm sure they'll get to it, but it just felt like a big ol' part 1. Nothing about it feels final, so I can't take anyone's 'death' seriously, which is fine, I mean, I know that's normal comic fare, but I left the theatre feeling...indifferent?

Side: Can someone help me understand (aside from IZ IN ZE COMICS) why they would do this great buildup of Thor not needing his hammer in Ragnarok and then IMMEDIATELY take that back for Infinity War?
I think we had that discussion in the spoiler thread and then it got eaten. But I agree with you on the feelings towards the movies. Then again, I never really enjoy the Avengers movies as much as I enjoy the individual IP movies.

A:IW was not my favorite from the 40hrs of Marvel goodness, but I am still quite happy that they got all of those characters/actors together for a movie. A wealth of riches.
Heimdall's death was some bullshit.

A:IW was not my favorite from the 40hrs of Marvel goodness, but I am still quite happy that they got all of those characters/actors together for a movie. A wealth of riches.
Heimdall's death was some bullshit.
Considering Idris Elba has been very vocal about being unhappy with playing Heimdall, at least for the recent 2 Thors, and it's a shame really, but a small part and a quick exit probably suited him fine. I agree it sucked, though.

I had this same issue. Apparently so did Chris Hemsworth. He was apparently at odds with the Russo brothers over glossing over Thor's character changes in Ragnarok.

Deadpool 2 is really fun and I'm glad it's been advertised the way it has been.

Also, I now have a massive crush on Zazie Beetz.

Shatterstar is a prick.

Had some free time so I saw Deadpool 2. I agree with @Frank that it was fun and it's been advertised very cleverly, giving some really surprising moments during the film. I think I was a bit over-sold on the end credits scene, which while very funny, wasn't as amazing as I was lead to believe. I think I could have waited to see this at home like the first one, but it was still a good time. The cameos and easter eggs were worth the matinee.

Had some free time so I saw Deadpool 2. I agree with @Frank that it was fun and it's been advertised very cleverly, giving some really surprising moments during the film. I think I was a bit over-sold on the end credits scene, which while very funny, wasn't as amazing as I was lead to believe. I think I could have waited to see this at home like the first one, but it was still a good time. The cameos and easter eggs were worth the matinee.
I had no idea that was Matt Damon as the hick. Alan Tudyk was unmistakable, but the one doing the talking being Matt Damon was nuts. Keeping Juggernaut a secret was fantastic work.

Jurassic World

Finally got around to watching this last night. I don't know why I put it off for so long because I was interested.

Anyway, I'm glad I did. It was fun. Wouldn't call it a great movie by any stretch, but fun for what it was: basically a monster movie where science has gone wrong from playing God. It took a little too long to get to the main point of the film, but once it got there, it was a heck of a roller coaster ride.

I think I enjoyed it enough that I'll try seeing the sequel in theater.

Deadpool continues to bring me disturbing amounts of joy. It's like someone peered into my soul and then filmed it. Twice.

Also, there's a small chance I would leave my family for Ryan Reynolds, which is awkward because I'm really, really straight.