[PC Game] Free Games-Legit or No?

I stumbled upon a website called Ocean of Games. The claim to offer free downloads for games. Including big name titles like EA's Sims 3 stuff. Which, granted is not a NEW title but it still seem a bit weird considering EA is still selling these Sim 3 packs for $20 each..

The site has supposedly been around for at least a year and I can't find anyone saying anything negative about it other then people asking the same question as me. I am a total chicken so I am hesitant to download anything until some says for sure it's legit, no viruses and you get a product code you can register and everything.

Linky to site --> Linky gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what they say about things sounding too good to be true.

It's been my experience that this is generally true.

TNSTAAFL

Yeah, it's just weird that I can't find anywhere it says it's a total scam distributing hacked games or worse a virus nest. Supposedly they get their revenue from advertisements but I don't see how that could cover the cost of distributing legit copies of these games.

On a different subject it annoys the crap out of me the EA isn't offering up Sims 3 in big cheap bundles. Who would be willing to spend several 100 dollars to get them all at this point. I only found 2 itty bitty lame little bundle offers from EA on amazon. Bleh. Hopefully they will have a sale soon.

Last edited:
From what I'm gathering about the site online is that it's a direct file hosting site, and not legit affiliated with publishers or anything. This means their copies of games are not really legit. If you have no qualms about pirate copies, go to town, but if you're looking for legitimate purchases, this is not the site you're looking for.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm downloading something to check the guts, but as long as you got adblock running, the site itself doesn't seem to try to infect you with anything (I refuse to disable adblock and check myself to see if it infects me :p)

Of course, I tried to download a 16 gig zip so it'll be a while before I report back on the innards of the game being safe or not. Doh!

But this is clearly software piracy, no ifs ands or buts about it. It is NOT "legit," it's pirate. Whoever registered the domain double dipped on privacy (they got a private domain registrant in arizona to register it with godaddy, which then makes you have to go through THEIR dedicated whois), probably to try and stave off the legal hounds as long as possible, but once this site "blows up" and gets on mainstream radar, I don't expect it will take long before it gets hit with a DMCA takedown.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, Trend Micro didn't find any viruses in it, and Valkyria Chronicles seems to be happily installing away. One odd thing - it tried to default to russian language, which I think is probably a clue about the source of these "free" games.

So. To reiterate... very pirate. Much illegal. Wow. But tentatively not-virusy. For now. But I'd scan everything before and after installation to be sure. I trust a year old website less than I trust a warez scene group with a history, and even then sometimes you get bad shit in their torrents.

Yeah, I figured it was pirated stuff. Nice to hear it probably does not have any viruses though. If I ever feel an inclination to play sims 2, again, I may get it from there. Because my discs are damaged, codes are missing and EA has decided to nuke everything Sims 2 related. I'm fine with get hacked copies of games I own. After running it through a few virus scans anyway.

Yeah, I figured it was pirated stuff. Nice to hear it probably does not have any viruses though. If I ever feel an inclination to play sims 2, again, I may get it from there. Because my discs are damaged, codes are missing and EA has decided to nuke everything Sims 2 related. I'm fine with get hacked copies of games I own. After running it through a few virus scans anyway.
It's too bad you missed out on when EA gave away Sims 2 and all its expansions for free on Origin.

So, is it safe? Because I really want to download some stuff, but I don't want any Malware or Trojans downloaded on my computer again. I seem to have some tough luck with that. i - i

:confused:

GasBandit

Staff member
So, is it safe? Because I really want to download some stuff, but I don't want any Malware or Trojans downloaded on my computer again. I seem to have some tough luck with that. i - i

:confused:
I wouldn't risk it, personally, even though what I downloaded wasn't infected. Now, maybe if you have a REALLY good active scanning antivirus/antimalware solution and really know your way around identifying what processes are supposed to be in the task manager and which aren't you MIGHT could outsmart it. Well, I might could. But I am not sure I'd want to wager my own rig on that. Best to torrent it from a safer source.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

What game did you want, anyway?

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

I downloded 8 games and my anti virus system dont found any viruses. I think is safe but not legal

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, that's about a 9 to 1 clean/infected ratio, which I guess is about par for the course with most public piracy options. Still, caveat pirata.

Um so i downloaded counter strike of this website and after finishing ads started poping up and i immeditely deleted all the files i could and shut off my computer, can anyone tell me what to do and what kind of virus could be on there :(

Dave

Staff member
Ouch. First thing you do is to boot up in safe mode and run your anti-virus software. Some of these things are damned hard to remove.

In fact, once we get you fixed I think we're going to get rid of the link in this thread.

GasBandit

Staff member
Um so i downloaded counter strike of this website and after finishing ads started poping up and i immeditely deleted all the files i could and shut off my computer, can anyone tell me what to do and what kind of virus could be on there :(
Get Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Start the free trial of the premium version, then do a full system scan.

Hey, been wanting to download Morrowind from Ocean of Games but I just got a new laptop like 5 days ago, and I really don't want any viruses or malware, etc. on it.
Do you guys think it's too much of a risk? I don't have especially good antivirus as far as I know, so if anyone with some good antivirus could maybe test the download out without putting your own computer at risk that would be awesome! I know I'm late to this thread, but thanks anyways.

Hey, been wanting to download Morrowind from Ocean of Games but I just got a new laptop like 5 days ago, and I really don't want any viruses or malware, etc. on it.
Do you guys think it's too much of a risk? I don't have especially good antivirus as far as I know, so if anyone with some good antivirus could maybe test the download out without putting your own computer at risk that would be awesome! I know I'm late to this thread, but thanks anyways.
Just wait for an inevitable Steam sale for it. Don't risk that site.